What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Alton Towers | The Smiler | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1

Rollercoasters4Life said:
All a marketing effort guys. The final piece of track - the first lift hill crest - goes in tomorrow. Then track work will be complete.

...and then the ten pages about when testing will start, immediately followed by complaints about how slow it looks.
:lol:

Can't wait for more pictures.

The station is starting to grow on me now, the wall facing the brake run looks pretty awesome!

rollermonkey said:
Rollercoasters4Life said:
All a marketing effort guys. The final piece of track - the first lift hill crest - goes in tomorrow. Then track work will be complete.

...and then the ten pages about when testing will start, immediately followed by complaints about how slow it looks.
:lol:

Can't wait for more pictures.

Aww you beat me to it. I was gonna put a tenner on it looking slow in the testing video!

The Smiler is now complete!
1E295DF4-0EED-4959-B756-8201EF403072-487-0000003246EB6A0B_zpsfc8a1bfd.jpg

And oh my god it looks amazing!

I used to say early on that I'd need to trace the track with my finger to be able to follow it.

Now that isn't even an option any more. Good god...

This all suggests to me that they planned to complete the track yesterday. So, as part of the move to push the marketing of the ride, they had it in the national press with social media following up.

Obviously this has to be arranged in advance, so they probably had the date 23/04/2013 as the final construction day issued by the people on site. It looks like it slipped though by another day due to more unforeseen problems.

Let's hope this doesn't affect the rumoured 18th May opening day and they've got a day spare somewhere to play catch up.

The ride still looks fantastic. I can't wait to spend many hours in X-Sector watching it ;)

it looks so amazing. I remember seeing The Swarm on Swarm D-Day in March 2012 and thinking 'very impressive, looks simple though', The Smiler looks like the exact definition of the chaos theory... ;)

Towerstimes posted this on their Facebook page:

62591_10151652069313185_302064369_n.jpg

Is it me or the section before the first lift is suspiciously too long? Still hoping for the real secret weapon to be kept there as a surprise. As for the layout, this mess of black track looks so **** up it's amazing! Hopefully it will ride as well as it looks.

As awesomely crazy as the layout was in the original renders, I'm most surprised that the 'giant spider' actually survived the budget pressure and was really included. Looks positively disorienting.

Awesome.
Looks like the giant cluster **** we made in RCT as kids.
Can see the whole layout and I still have trouble figuring out what is happening : D

I'm really looking forward to the TV advert for this, I'm hoping it'll be really surreal and wacky and leave most people thinking "WTF?!".

Surely they must've filmed SOMETHING for it by now XD Anyway, it looks amazing! Could this be the messiest, most tangled coaster ever so far?

Looking at the ariel shot, trying to trace my finger around the layout and I still make about 3 mistakes! this looks incredible! I cannot wait to take a trip up to Alton later this year

Stairs for the lift hill going in today. :--D

Image from Alton Towers Guide facebook page

Looks like they're testing the Marmaliser screen today. I'm intrigued as to what "The Disorientater" is :p

(Image from The Alton Towers Guide FB page)
302445_554951611202688_811259117_n.jpg

I feel like the effects would be improved if this were an indoor coaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.