What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Re: Alton Towers | The Smiler | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1

Very true, though that is a pretty small lift in comparison to this.

Edit: On the larger lift, the drop is still in front of the lift, so it will help to support it.

Not that it really matters.

kir

Hyper Poster

This is going to make me feel desperately unwell.

*vom*

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster

Looks more awesome with every picture! The themed bins are awesome too!

The Grape Wizard

Hyper Poster

Courtesy of TowersTimes.

556037_10151631847193185_407732255_n.jpg

After seeing this in person yesterday, pictures really do not do it justice to show just how big this thing is.

scw55

Hyper Poster

I'm actually glad that the Smiler won't have a vertical drop/over vertical drop on the outside section (highly unlikely there'll be one inside too). Because they don't look aesthetically good.

Take:

The peak of the tower's track just looks ugly. It's like a trapezium that's been rounded. I like my coaster layouts to appear smooth on the eye. Besides, if you look at the No Limits impressions, the swooping round looks very awesome from a rider's PoV. Because you see another train swooping towards you on a parallel track. It looked awesome.

Ethan

Strata Poster

scw55 said:
I'm actually glad that the Smiler won't have a vertical drop/over vertical drop on the outside section (highly unlikely there'll be one inside too). Because they don't look aesthetically good.

What? Of course there's not one inside the building.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

I'm actually quite glad this turned out not to be Intamin.

Gertslauer won't need to replace large sections of track in the next year for screwing up the calculations.
;)

scw55

Hyper Poster

Ethan said:
scw55 said:

What? Of course there's not one inside the building.

Parallel dimension portals.

Idlewild

Mega Poster

scw55 said:

Take:

The peak of the tower's track just looks ugly. It's like a trapezium that's been rounded. I like my coaster layouts to appear smooth on the eye. Besides, if you look at the No Limits impressions, the swooping round looks very awesome from a rider's PoV. Because you see another train swooping towards you on a parallel track. It looked awesome.
You do realise that drop was designed to be enclosed, right? Aesthetics would be a very low priority in its design.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster

Idlewild said:
scw55 said:

Take:

You do realise that drop was designed to be enclosed, right? Aesthetics would be a very low priority in its design.

That, and due to the show scene at the top you are held up there for a while...

Best part of the ride really...

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

Martyn B said:
^ Soon will be with informative comments like that.
:p

Just looked at the update at TT. Anybody have a theory why the chain return appears to curve under like a 'standard' Eurofighter with more than vertical first drop?

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster

Not posted here in a while, I'm quite excited about The Smiler/Smiler?...
Initially I thought 'meh, a Euro Fighter', but this actually seems like the perfect use of the BH site.
Could be redemption for Alton after the major fail of thirteen.
I have some questions-

1) 14 inversions?! Is this confirmed? Hell yes! that will be mental...
2) If it does have 14 inversions, will that record be the 'world's first' aspect of it?
3) Will the Marmalizer be interactive at all? Will it move or have lights?
4) Does it have a indoor vertical drop?
5) Do you think they're actually gonna have it open for May?, they still have not completed the track yet!
6) Why were they so late in getting this thing constructed?

Loaster

Roller Poster

1. Yes, there will be 14 inversions, rumours of a 15th have circulated for a while but it seems unlikely.
2. It will be a record, as you know, but towers are yet to state what the worlds first is, so it cold be.
3. The structure will not move, but there are motors for the "car wash" tickler to move, the other theming is likely to interactive, the hypnotiser disks will spin, water/ mist effects are expected to.
4. No. There is a drop, but not vertical.
5. They have promoted it to be, but it seems tight.
6. There were issues with the ground works. Combined with weather, and frankly starting too late.

Martyn B

CF Legend

I wonder if they didn't go for the indoor vertical drop because of Oblivion?

Rollercoasters4Life

Roller Poster

Martyn B said:
I wonder if they didn't go for the indoor vertical drop because of Oblivion?

Or because there was lack of room and they needed the Barrel roll to get 14 inversions as to push the record further beyond the current mark.

Sent from my GT-I9300 via Tapatalk Forum App

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster

It's simple, there's not enough room for a vertical drop. While it would have been fine if this was a Eurofighter, the longer trains of the Smiler mean its not possible.

A vertical drop would speed the train up so much would mean that the final carriage would whip from horizontal to vertical so fast that it'd cause an uncomfortable amount of ejector air. Hence why vertical drop coasters have such short trains.

Martyn B

CF Legend

Yeah you're probably right there, the lenght of the trains most likely ruled that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.