What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inverse

Hyper Poster
Re: New "world-first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

^ All loops are beyond vertical. It's the non-beyond-vertical loops you can't fathom... which I'll assume are helices.

corranator said:
Just had a thought, this could be a vertical lift intamin like fahrenheit just with a launch maybe at the beggining. Just a thought please dont just suddenly bring me down.

Now, how mean have we become to new members for this guy* to disclaimer his* post like that?! A fast lift/launch is possible, Battlestar style at the start. As for Intamin, I thought there was pretty strong evidence that'll be a new type of Gerstlauer, who (as we know) have a rich history of vertical lifts.

*or girl.

Danzibarr

Mega Poster

Crazycoaster said:
I agree, and I think the point that someone raised about the X-train could well be true.

X-Train_small.jpg

http://www.maurer-rides.com/x-coaster/x-train/

This would sure solve any low capacity issues, and give quite a unique ride also.

I was just having a read through the PDF on this train, interesting quote being "LSM Launch and vertical lift feasible on one coaster".

Plus, it looks so sexy!

Have a read, link to the pdf: http://www.maurer-rides.com/files/amuse ... -Train.pdf

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

^ Nice find!

I can't imagine they would go back to MS, though.

But then why go back to Gerst, or Intamin... Why go back to anyone except B&M?

Martyn B

CF Legend

To me, that little quote, plus the winged trains becoming ever more popular, definitely swings this in the direction of MS.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

I think in the MS product literature? I've still yet to see anything really point this in any direction in terms of manufacturer (other than Gerstlauer).

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster

Whatever happens, it's going to be a while before we get any confirmation. Doesn't really bother me who builds it, as I can see it being good whichever way it goes.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Uncle Arly said:
Doesn't really bother me who builds it, as I can see it being good whichever way it goes.

Some people do think it will matter though. Personally, I think it's an exciting development, but likely to be poor in terms of ride quality (it may not be, but I prefer a pleasant surprise to abject disappointment).

1. For some, if it is Intamin like the bastard love child of Kanonen and Fahrenheit - it's a sure fire hit.
2. Maurer appeals to others, because it's a best fit for those not wanting a Gerstlauer. People fear Gerstlauer. Maurer are quite hit and miss in terms of final product (not always their fault). When they're good, they very good. When they're not? Troublesome at the very least.
3. The ride fits a Gerstlauer profile, but because of poor experiences with Eurofighters, people don't want it. There are good examples of Eurofighters though, but they're seemingly less frequent than good MS coasters.

Having experienced some and read reviews of others, none of those options is likely to produce a world class ride experience. That's not saying it's going to be a bad ride, and it's certainly an exciting design and incredible development coup for Alton. It just people seem to want it to be more than it is, people want it to be what they want is a lesser of the evils. As always, people expect it to deliver the world's greatest ride experience and be mind blowing. All these people will be deeply saddened when it doesn't satisfy them.

You're right though, it'll be quite some time before the question is answered. Lots of time yet for people to build their hopes so high that nothing less than an utter obliteration of them can be achieved by the ride on opening day. Welcome to coaster enthusiasm ;)

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

UC said:
^Cost? Planning time?
Was more a joke about how every company except B&M has **** up one of their projects for Tussauds/Merlin at some point, so it's not a very logical way of ruling anyone out... :lol:

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster

Uncle Arly said:
I can see it being good whichever way it goes.

is that a euphamism?
ahhh - it's making sense now - it's gonna be the "worlds first bisexual coaster"!!

Waffleman

Mega Poster

Is the way the track looks in the designs anything to go on? Because Maurer track doesn't look like that, but Intamin and Gerstlauer tracks can do.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

Nah, quite a while back a genius pointed out that the track style is Schwarzkopft exported from No Limits. Isn't Scwarz the default in No Limits?

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster

Joey said:
Nah, quite a while back a genius pointed out that the track style is Schwarzkopft exported from No Limits. Isn't Scwarz the default in No Limits?

That is correct.

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster

UC said:
^Also, weren't Gerstlauer one of the first companies to adopt NL in their projects, as far as presentations go?

I think so, yes. IIRC anyway.

Jools

Giga Poster

The theming looks really good! I'm looking forward to this coaster a hell of a lot more now! Very interesting looking... love this!

sw75.png

Jools

Giga Poster

I think it works better here though, kinda goes with the whole secret government theme! Kinda boring though.

Martyn B

CF Legend

sw75.png

^ That suits the X-Sector theme, but I really don't think the station will:

sw73.png

Lofty

CF Legend

I like them, that STRANGE contraption looks great and could provided some "close encounters". I love the station!

Status
Not open for further replies.