What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New "world-first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

Actually, the one thing I love about this project is the fact that we already know it has a "major" coaster attached to it. A coaster in the UK with an actual decent length for a change. It may ride like ****, but they've made a real effort to give us substance.

I agree.

Anything 'world first' is now just a bonus on top of an already decent looking ride.

Its the part that Th13teen missed. It had the potential to be a really good ride, but the first section just felt like it's meandering around the woods.

I don't think the coaster being on the plans is weird either.

And perhaps it's a sign that the days of secrecy are long gone?

In the UK it's impossible to keep something like this secret. Utterly impossible. And it's funny that despite this, Merlin have chosen to go the secret route for years and years whilst in the US it's commonplace for parks to release the layout as a marketing strategy.

Maybe they've finally decided that drumming up hype with the use of the enthusiast community (as they have been with Swarm on Facebook) is the best way to go? It's essentially free advertising and a platform such as facebook means that every enthusiasts's friends know about Swarm too. You can't not know about it.

That said, maybe it is also fishy, but I find it funny that the person saying it's 100% definitely confirmed to be a Eurofighter would think that. ;)

The idea of it being viral or a red herring I don't think is entirely impossible, but highly unlikely. Even if the plans for the buildings, for example, are real and the coaster is not... The effort involved in sorting out a layout that also is mobious-like in nature and that. Just no.

Furie is right, I think it's length is an interesting point in itself. It's really, really long and comprises of little gimmick, but instead a lot of what people just associate with coasters... Lots of upsidowny bits. The phrase "it's too short" is definitely the most common criticism the general public have of a coaster, and they even say it when a ride is long. But I also think of it as a pretty mindless criticism, it's typical British "I don't want to have TOO much fun, so I must criticise something". There's almost an awkwardness in admitting you like something before you know other people's reactions.

^In the case of Alton though, the "it's too short" argument certainly has, up until now, been a very valid point to make.

As has already been said, I'm not bothered in the slightest about any world's first for this. With or without that, this is looking like a decent, solid ride and actually makes me excited to go back to Alton again. Job done.

With regard to the confirmation that it's Gerstlaurer, all that comes from that sound assessment thing, where it states "same ride type and manufacturer" as Saw in one part of it, whilst saying "similar" in other sections. But it also says "including a beyond vertical drop"... Which this clearly doesn't have. Some people say it's confirmation, but I think that's a bit hasty, it could be an error. Here's the noise report if you want to look UC. http://publicaccess.staffsmoorlands.gov ... %20(SIGNED)%20(37852).PDF

With regard to track style and Gerst changing for new trains, they already have done this for their new style Eurofighters, which now have track style similar to this... But I doubt that would be a legit world's first to market anyway. I'm pretty sure this WILL have new style trains if it is Gerst, because I don't think the poor capacity of 6 seater cars is enough for Alton. They added a second lift to Thirteen JUST for capacities sake. If they felt it needed it there, I can't see them tolerating a coaster with 6 seater trains and so few block sections.

Someone pointed out pages back that the track style is actually Schwarzkopft exported badly from NoLimits, undeniably so. So it isn't an accurate portrayal regardless.

I have no logical explanation as to why, it is a bit fishy that they've gone from always showing it accurately to showing it rather sloppily for this, unless it's because it doesn't matter too much because they don't need to apply for planning for it anyway? So they've not wasted too much time prepping it? I dunno how it all works.

^ Just to drag you away from the Gerst side, it was pointed out that the vertical lift hill structure is indenticle (in the plans) that on Rip, Ride Rocket.

Personally, I do think its going to be Maurer Sohne.

I agree, and I think the point that someone raised about the X-train could well be true.

X-Train_small.jpg

http://www.maurer-rides.com/x-coaster/x-train/

This would sure solve any low capacity issues, and give quite a unique ride also.

Yeah I would not be surprised if it's MS, either. I don't buy that it's definitely Gerst, but I do think the sound report is weird.

But I think the point that the coaster in the plans is a "quick" No Limits coaster, built to illustrate that the ride falls within the restrictions without wasting time drawing up a layout to the standard they usually would have to submit to planning. This way, if it get rejected, they haven't wasted good time and money on it.

Have we discussed the possibilites of.... Premier, yet?

b19239400516nm5s1hgrn5.jpg

:|

Please, not S&S... Just look at the track record and do the right thing :lol:

I note the Alton Towers statement calls it a "Worlds First Attraction" as opposed to "worlds first ride" or "coaster" - that gives them a lot of leeway.

New "world-first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

All they way through this so far Alton have used many words that are open for interpretation.

I think the whole "attraction" point is one of interest, it's worth saying that in the industry the term attraction is rather loosely thrown about all the time. Shops and stalls are "attractions".

They have certainly done market research and listened to the "too short" argument with this.

I just remember the early days of Alton where they'd plug it with the phrase "Over 100 rides and attractions!" so I've always separated the two in my mind.

Excuse my ignorance, but what does a 'beyond' vertical loop actually look like? Is it a banked vertical loop or a sort of vertical loop on a 'hill' section of track?

^I'm not sure what a beyond vertical loop is, but I think you may have just misread the discussion about beyond vertical drops. Which look something like this:
http://www.rcdb.com/2721.htm?p=15765

If you do mean a beyond vertical loop, then I'm just as intrigued. ;)

Just had a thought, this could be a vertical lift intamin like fahrenheit just with a launch maybe at the beggining. Just a thought please dont just suddenly bring me down.

Was a mis-read. I am aware of a beyond vertical drop.

But yes, a beyond veritcal loop is something my mind cannot fathom.

Status
Not open for further replies.