What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark

Strata Poster
Re: New "world's first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

Hmmm. I kinda hope they don't go down the Raptor route tbh. It just seems a bit lazy perhaps? Im not saying that they are going to completely overhaul everything with the same theme as Raptor, but like you say, the examples of finishes given thus far suggest something 'raptor-like' which to me just sounds a bit lazy :-(

I would rather see them give the area a spruce up etc.

One thing that would be interesting, if there is any stock in the belief/rumour/notion that this will have a vertical launch is that it is almost the reverse of Oblivion. Perhaps they could go so far as to develop an idea from the original queueline video. The whole good vs evil, ying-yang thing. Of course they aren't about to slap white paint everywhere but it could be an interesting development in terms of the X-Sector story...

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster

See, I'm pretty doubtful about the vertical launch, and thats just by looking at the shape of the crest. Its too tight for any kind of speed. If there is a launch, it won't be any faster than Mavericks first 'launch' lift hill.

Personally I think if they went with a sort of Military base ala Raptor, it'd look really good. I'm quite intrigued into what the large theming structure will be in the middle of the layout, I hope it'll produce some good headchoppers.

Gazza

Giga Poster

But if Sub Terra is going in this year, it would be a near repeat right?...To use the military base theme that is.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

Crazycoaster said:
See, I'm pretty doubtful about the vertical launch, and thats just by looking at the shape of the crest. Its too tight for any kind of speed. If there is a launch, it won't be any faster than Mavericks first 'launch' lift hill.

Look at Wicked. That's just as tight, or tighter. It works.

Launches don't have to be about constantly increasing speed anymore.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster

That is true, but then the top of Wicked is parabolic shaped;

61e005oojimtr78tqt0rjk.jpg

(http://www.rcdb.com/3534.htm?p=30557)

Its a bit hard to see, but the curve goes from slightly more gradual at vertical, to really tight at the top, much in the same way the Accelerator top hats work, but more extreme due to the short train.

Now if we then look at the crest of the Alton towers coaster here:

HRRRSW7-e1325918050719.png

(http://parkthoughts.com/2012/01/07/alton-towers-secret-weapon-7-revealed/)

You can see the curve is a constant, which in my opinion rules out the vertical launch. I do think what we're looking at here is Maurer Sohne.

Jools

Giga Poster

That never occurred to me and perhaps the trains/cars could be the new X-Train or Floorless X-Car? Because they havn't been used yet. That is a worlds first. :p

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

^But again, we go back to the 'B&M's first launch" thing where that's too specific. You couldn't market a ride to people who are unlikely to know the ride is Maurer Sohne coaster, let alone that its an X-car model. I just can't see how they'd be able to market that as a first.

Jools

Giga Poster

I suppose the phrase "X-Car" could sound extreme to the public? I'm still thinking the worlds first has something to do with the cars, I definitely don't think it's the lift.

EDIT: But then again, who says they are going to market it as a worlds first anyway?

Intricks

Strata Poster

If you want to talk about the car theory, it could se marketable as a Europes first. GP make correlations, so calling it Europes first Winged Seated ride, could be done due to the fact that Baco and Swarm/Raptor have close enough similarities (train wise in regards to position of seating) that they could get away with it (Air).

Yes, the Enthusiasts would get into an uproar, but then if they go the floorless model of that train type, then they pull a first by sheer technicality.

Switching between the hideouts'...

The X- Train looks too bulky to fit this layout, better suited for a large megalooper than this. And Nemesis wasn't a worlds first, possibly they are going back to the first SW concepts, SW1 and 2's concepts were not worlds firsts, technically, Oblivion was only a worlds first coaster type, it was not truly vertical at all. Nor was Air, that was a worlds first coaster type. Vekoma had their flying dutchmans. The only true worlds first was Th13teen, and that is debatable.

Jools

Giga Poster

blivvies biggest fan said:
The X- Train looks too bulky to fit this layout, better suited for a large megalooper than this. And Nemesis wasn't a worlds first, possibly they are going back to the first SW concepts, SW1 and 2's concepts were not worlds firsts, technically, Oblivion was only a worlds first coaster type, it was not truly vertical at all. Nor was Air, that was a worlds first coaster type. Vekoma had their flying dutchmans. The only true worlds first was Th13teen, and that is debatable.

Exactly, but my point is, just because it may technically be a worlds first, they don't have to market the fact, they didn't really with Th13teen, but then they messed up that campaign big time!

Absolutely, everyone just interperets it as one. And to be honest, the public probably dont care if it is worlds first or not.

bob_3_

Giga Poster

The X- Train looks too bulky to fit this layout, better suited for a large megalooper than this.

Have you seen GeForce?! It has some of the tightest transitions known to man! Even now I don't know how those big trains fit round the circuit, but they do.

the king

Mega Poster

Here is a part from the info booklet I got from the EAS in london, stating the dimensions of a x-car.

11-01-2012183555.jpg

Ben

CF Legend

Yeah, that was one of the big selling points of the X Car back when they were first announced (don't I feel OLD <///3)

I wish those fab spinning trains had happened, haha <//3

Lofty

CF Legend

To be totally honest, I thought from day one it was a Maurer X-Car. Myabe with the "4-along-trains?". But, if they've done a sound test on this to do with Saw. Maybe Gerstlauer have a new product?

Martyn B

CF Legend

I can't see no reason why Gerstlauer can't make their launch cars into a 'two car' train? That is basically what they have on the X-Car coasters...

marc

CF Legend
New "world's first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

Might be weight though they feel well built if you what I mean. They could do I suppose but would need a redesign.

Status
Not open for further replies.