What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Re: New "world's first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

Can i just say, this is a perfect excuse to give Oblivion abit of TLC!

nadroJ

CF Legend

I kind of like the way Oblivion has gone all rusty and gross though, it seems to fit.

Martyn B

CF Legend

I'd kinda agree with that, but, I dunno...

I think a nice, lush, black paint job would look brill!

Aaron

Hyper Poster
New "world's first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

Perhaps they will get rid of the abysmal Fanta stuff? Unlikely but we can still hope...

nadroJ

CF Legend

Yeah, it wasn't anywhere to be seen when I last went, if I recall correctly.

But yeah, hopefully this new project will see a bit of a revamp of the X-Sector, it's such a badass area and it's lost it's scariness as it is at the moment.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster

Thinking about the theme of this ride, not sure if its just me or not, but I can see influences of Raptor possibly being used?

I mean both Raptor and Oblivion have similar styles to their theming, so it could make sense.

Aaron

Hyper Poster

Martyn B said:
^ I thought that had gone already?

Oh good :-D

And a raptor theme? Wouldn't that be very similar to what Swarm is doing now?

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster

Not really, Raptor and Swarm have completely different themes? Raptor is set in an underground military base where the 'creature' has escaped, Swarm is themed to a warzone against an Alien race.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

Re concerns about a vertical launch not being fun... A vertical launch wouldn't be a true world's first, would it? Doesn't Volcano do it? Volcano is amazing, not particularly for that reason, but it's great in general.

As for the similarities between themes, I thought Raptor was very Nemesis-like in terms of theme.

I have slight about this ride stealing visual fire from Oblivion. One of Oblivion's best aspects is the impact of first seeing that drop side on, and this will obscure it. It's a shame, but not a big enough shame for me to get upset over.

Aaron

Hyper Poster

Isn't volcano a horizontal launch which then pulls up into vertical standard track?

And re: raptor's theme, sorry I didn't know specifics of the theme just thought it was kind of destructiony lol.

Ben

CF Legend

^There's some LIMs on the half loop thing, but, I dunno if I'd call that a launch.

There's no launch that starts at vertical, I believe. But, it'd have to be slow or you'd go over the top too fast.

Mark

Strata Poster

Joey said:
I have slight about this ride stealing visual fire from Oblivion. One of Oblivion's best aspects is the impact of first seeing that drop side on, and this will obscure it. It's a shame, but not a big enough shame for me to get upset over.

Bugger! Indeed its not a major issue, I was under the impression that it would only come over as far as Black Hole ever did and more beyond the old tent. Is it coming very far over to the walkway down to Oblivion? Oblivion is just so imposing and THERE. Shame.

bob_3_

Giga Poster

Mark said:
Joey said:

Bugger! Indeed its not a major issue, I was under the impression that it would only come over as far as Black Hole ever did and more beyond the old tent. Is it coming very far over to the walkway down to Oblivion? Oblivion is just so imposing and THERE. Shame.

It won't obstruct the view at all! The first drop is over the toilets, and thats the only visible bit from x-sectors entrance. You may see it first before you see Oblivion if coming from Spinball but the actual view from the x-sector arch will be purely Oblivion, you'd have to turn around to see SW7, and even then there won't be much of it to look at.

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster

^Agreed. When I fist heard about this I was thinking it would just ruin Oblivions look for me, but they've managed to be quite clever and hide it away, even though it's just a tangle of track. (This is of course judging from the plans).

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

I don't mean literally obscure it, I mean draw the eyes away from it. You won't be looking at Oblivion anymore once this is standing as it is as tall and takes up a lot more space, that's for sure.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Meh! :lol:

I suspect that the £20 million quoted is probably (as with Dark Forest) including a revamp and retheme of the area too. so we really don't know what effect it'll have on Oblivion.

Inverse

Hyper Poster

Maybe a repaint for Oblivion? May as well if you're sprucing the area up.

Nic

Strata Poster

Crazycoaster said:
Thinking about the theme of this ride, not sure if its just me or not, but I can see influences of Raptor possibly being used?

I mean both Raptor and Oblivion have similar styles to their theming, so it could make sense.
Not that it means anything in the slightest, but one of the examples of paintwork given on the preliminary "finishes" sheet was a photo from Raptor's area.

Status
Not open for further replies.