What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Alton Towers | The Smiler | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1

Joey said:
I'm sorry, but it really does matter.

Yeah it really doesn't.

I'm not going to spend £50 to get into Alton, go on all the rides, and then at the end of the day complain to guest services that from next to the ride I can clearly see that they've not painted the four feet of track you can see entering the hole with a fresh coat of paint.

I mean, it's absolutely scandalous.

Bit of sense here, I'm sure they've not looked at it and just thought ''well it'll look alright'', there's probably an access issue or something like that behind it.

There was less of an uproar when they delayed Smiler. It's a bit of paint.

^ There won't be an access issue, all parts of the track need to be accessed by maintenance for checks.

I agree with Joey, it does matter. It's a lack of attention to detail, a halfarse job. Maybe they haven't finished yet? I can't think of any other reason why they wouldn't paint simply a bit lower.

Wow, that's a lot of options for Smiler souvenirs.

Also, I know this is a convoluted layout, but seeing the crazy jigsaw puzzle approach to construction really emphasizes that point.

Lol I didn't even notice that bit of Oblivion hadn't been painted yesterday...

Shows how noticeable it is...

Smiler looks fab and mental, pictures don't do the mess of track justice...

Smithy said:
Joey said:
I'm sorry, but it really does matter.

Yeah it really doesn't.

I'm not going to spend £50 to get into Alton, go on all the rides, and then at the end of the day complain to guest services that from next to the ride I can clearly see that they've not painted the four feet of track you can see entering the hole with a fresh coat of paint.

I mean, it's absolutely scandalous.

Bit of sense here, I'm sure they've not looked at it and just thought ''well it'll look alright'', there's probably an access issue or something like that behind it.

There was less of an uproar when they delayed Smiler. It's a bit of paint.
You're missing the point Smithy. It's not the gap of unpainted track that's the issue in itself, it's what it implies. It implies a lack of maintainance, of a bodged job, of no care to do things properly or thoroughly. Those connotations are very, very real and are conveyed through little bits (and bigger bits) here and there across park. When you're presenting yourself as a premiere theme park, things have to look good.

I don't get your point about Smiler... Delaying it was a good decision. The point of this "uproar" is that they never do anything properly. We want them to do things properly and stop opening things unfinished, bodged or rushed. The real answer there is start earlier and manage projects better, surely... Seen as Merlin have a 100% failure rate with the opening of their new attractions in the UK this year. That's pretty bad.

I suspect you're right, that piece of track would have been harder to reach, but it's kind of tough. Why bother painting it at all, and then leave a bit making it look like you never do anything properly? It matters.

For all we know, Alton might be replacing the misting rings round the tunnel soon. Let's not be so quick to attack the park over something trivial.

They've had all winter.

It doesn't matter if they are doing it next winter, because they now open for 8 months.

Martyn B said:
Dont get me wrong, I like me some tat, but who the **** buys them ornaments?
Speaking as someone who used to design them... I've no idea!

Nemesis Inferno said:
Lol I didn't even notice that bit of Oblivion hadn't been painted yesterday...

Shows how noticeable it is...

Probably because the mist covers it? Did they paint in the hole too where people can't see it day to day? Probably not - hence why they stopped there I guess?

Wasn't any mist yesterday, then again I didn't go into the pit section so never would have noticed it anyways...

Oh well...

Joey said:
Tomatron said:
As if it really matters.
How does it not matter?

It looks worse like that than it would have unpainted, because now it stands out.

It costs almost £50 to get into Alton. For that money one should expect it not to look tatty.

It just begs the question why bother at all if you're not going to do something to a decent standard...? Why waste money repainting Oblivion, only to leave that small bit sticking out like a sore thumb and imply a bodged job?

I'm sorry, but it really does matter. I'm really glad they decided to do something about Oblivion, especially if they've fixed the flaking faux-concrete panels on the station that were the biggest issue making it look really tatty.

It matters if you're the 0.01% that thinks it's the end of the world if something isn't painted correctly. No-one else is gonna be bothered.

I imagine there's a pretty good reason why it's not been done.

Joey said:
You're missing the point Smithy. It's not the gap of unpainted track that's the issue in itself, it's what it implies. It implies a lack of maintainance, of a bodged job, of no care to do things properly or thoroughly. Those connotations are very, very real and are conveyed through little bits (and bigger bits) here and there across park. When you're presenting yourself as a premiere theme park, things have to look good.

That's merely what it implies to you. Not everybody will think that way, hell I doubt many people will actively notice it (as suggested by NI's comment above) let alone remember it by the end of their visit.

I get where you're coming from with regards to little things adding up, but even in that regard turn 180 degrees from that spot and you'll have something that will distract from a few feet of unpainted track.

I don't get your point about Smiler... Delaying it was a good decision. The point of this "uproar" is that they never do anything properly. We want them to do things properly and stop opening things unfinished, bodged or rushed. The real answer there is start earlier and manage projects better, surely... Seen as Merlin have a 100% failure rate with the opening of their new attractions in the UK this year. That's pretty bad.

100%? What are we counting here, Swarm, Smiler and X? It's a negative (it not being painted out of sight) I agree, but the reaction in here was massively over the top for what is essentially an aesthetics issue.

I suspect you're right, that piece of track would have been harder to reach, but it's kind of tough. Why bother painting it at all, and then leave a bit making it look like you never do anything properly? It matters.

It does matter, I do get where you're coming from with regards to presentation of the ride and the park, I just feel the reaction was blown out of proportion when considering the circumstances.

Furie has a good point, maybe the mist will cover it. I'm sure it's not just been left for no good reason.

^ Most probably costs. Or maybe they ran out of paint? Who knows, they may actually get round to finishing it.

But if they dont, it is kind of piss poor and I can see where Joey's coming from. Remember, Merlin claim to be "second only to Disney".

The annoying thing to me is what Pierre said, 10ft more and nobody would have seen it? I don't get it, it's weird to intentionally stop in that particular place.

And I agree with Martyn B, they do claim to be second to Disney (which in some ways they are) but how can you even compare the two when corners are cut like this? Everyone is claiming oh, nobody will notice, but going the extra mile and taking care of the things most people would overlook because they think people won't notice can be the difference between a great park and a world class park.

100%? What are we counting here, Swarm, Smiler and X? It's a negative (it not being painted out of sight) I agree, but the reaction in here was massively over the top for what is essentially an aesthetics issue.
X is late, Swarm's only got one of the 2 trains done, Zufari is late, Chessington cancelled AP day and their excuse on FB was construction is still going on around park, Legoland's new attraction is late, Smiler is late. Everything new, and more, has failed to open as planed to schedule. 100% failure rate.

I'd rather it was late and done properly, and Smiler is forgivable as it's a huge project and it's RARE for a major ride to be so behind. No one thing is a problem, but the fact that every UK park has not stuck to timescale this winter is a bit wtf, don't you agree?

It does matter, I do get where you're coming from with regards to presentation of the ride and the park, I just feel the reaction was blown out of proportion when considering the circumstances.
I don't see people blowing it out of proportion anywhere. Someone said bodge, I said ffs... It's you guys who made a huge deal out of the supposedly huge deal we were making. All that was done, really, was point it out.

But if they dont, it is kind of piss poor and I can see where Joey's coming from. Remember, Merlin claim to be "second only to Disney".
This. Whilst we know this is laughable, when you make such claims and advertise yourself as a premiere attraction with a hefty entrance fee and promise of world class experiences, you don't then pull a Six Flags and bodge everything or simply fail to maintain anything. It's not like this small section of track is the only example, it's just a tiny representation of a bigger picture which, overall, conveys a lack of care. It's insulting to the guests who visit, and Merlin are worse than many independent parks or less wealthy chains.

It's just weird. Removed from context, it's not a big deal, but it's when you look at all this stuff I can't help think "for **** sake". At Six Flags, I laugh at things like...I dunno, spray painted grass surrounding the base of a newly painted fence, but at Merlin I expect better. You with me?

Joey said:
X is late, Swarm's only got one of the 2 trains done, Zufari is late, Chessington cancelled AP day and their excuse on FB was construction is still going on around park, Legoland's new attraction is late, Smiler is late. Everything new, and more, has failed to open as planed to schedule. 100% failure rate.
Plus Sea-Life in Blackpool is only half-open as there's construction going on and the shark tank is empty and unthemed (it's supposed to open by Easter). Sea-Life Manchester was supposed to open in "Spring" but is now looking like June.

Just wonder if the funding for all these took a bit of time to come through.

Am I the only person on CF who doesn't explode with OUTRAGE when a ride opening is delayed?

^ I don't see anybody "Exploding with outrage" in this thread?

People are making valid points, Joey merely pointed out the fail rate of the rides opening on time, and Smithy commented how people ARN'T talking about the delayed opening.. Nobody's complaining that there have been delays, it's just been pointed out.

In fact;
Joey said:
I'd rather it was late and done properly

Seems a mild enough statement..

^^

No, I'm not fussed about two months to be honest.

To be fair though, the ride is roughly 2 hours from my house so its not a big deal, however, if I lived outside the country and was planning to come to the UK, say for arguments sake in April to go to parks, I would like to get that in, and I would be pretty annoyed if I now couldn't get it because they have pushed it back.
I know it's highly unlikely but if they pushed back GateKeeper's opening to mid July I would be pretty angry, as it was advertised as being open n time 6 months ago when I made all my plans.
Even if you did live in this country it could be a pain, so although it does not personally bother me, I can see why people get upset about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.