What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Alton Towers | The Smiler | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1

Backwards inversions are usually my kryptonite, especially on hot, summer days.

We'll see who can hold their lunch on this one.

The closer this gets to completion, the more this looks like how cartoons represent "extreme rollercoaster".

Give it a name like Spewmaster3000™ and a subplot about not being tall enough to go on it, and you'd pretty much be there.

The view of the "Staffordshire's Knot" from the top of "Oblivion":

59784_449448331791692_1281833894_n.jpg

^I wonder if those 'caution' stickers are there for serious or theming reasons. :)

I#m just estimating that they're there cause there's a massive **** drop just a smidgen beyond the caution signs

You've just reminded me of the ERT on Lynet - I lasted about 45 mins before spew avoidance measures were required!

sparky2u said:
The view of the "Staffordshire's Knot" from the top of "Oblivion":

59784_449448331791692_1281833894_n.jpg

Everything about that image is brilliant tbh. The caution sticker being dual-purpose (not that it would be noticeable on ride), the view into the distance adding a sense of scale, the sheer mass of track;

I fancy the platform either side of that knot will be similar in term of the viewing point at Nemesis' helix.

Interestingly, Enterprise looks to be complete. Possibly sign that they're hoping to have X-Sector open when the park is, or just a case of getting it out the way?

Oh, and repaint looks class on Oblivion, only thing I'd question atm is that the station for Smiler looks bland. Might fit in with Oblivion's though.

They missed a trick with Enterprise. They could have put a spiral on the wheel so it looks like some big hypnotic device.

This is going to be so vile and disgusting <3 Like Saw but even more amazing.

The layout for The Smiler does look like something a 12 year old would build on Roller Coaster Tycoon.
But of course, there is years of experience of designing gone into that coaster.

It's a sophisticated steel scribble.

Must have been a logisitical nightmare to plan, plot and draw though.

Utterly ridiculous. It looks like a complete vom-machine. Still, it's great to see Alton pushing the boundary a little bit with the actual coaster rather than a family ride that has been dressed up in big sisters clothes. I've always really liked coasters that look like a spaghetti bowl of track. They probably aren't the best to take photos or anything but they still look awesome.

I really hope that Gerstlauer have done some work on the roughness factor on their coasters though. With so much tight twisting and turning on this, it could be really vile to ride in a few years.

Does anyone think that Oblivion will have a little something extra hidden in the tunnel? Lights, Smiler images maybe?

I don't think Oblivion looks as intimidating in black... Its much more monstrous in its original grey.

Treeis said:
Does anyone think that Oblivion will have a little something extra hidden in the tunnel? Lights, Smiler images maybe?

No? Oblivion is Oblivion, Smiler is Smiler.

Besides. You can't really see squat in the tunnel anyways.

Screaming Coasters said:
I don't think Oblivion looks as intimidating in black... Its much more monstrous in its original grey.

It was originally black before it got all faded...

^ It was definitely grey.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgkuzpzi5xQ[/youtube]

I love Wardley's enthusiasm in these interviews :(

Status
Not open for further replies.