What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New "world's first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

LOL This comparison is true, Ben. :D

But Vekoma's latest efforts are noteworthy, so are their Mine Train stuff.
We'll just have to see what they do with this one. Right now, they are being safe and just improving on what they got. A prime example of this is Mack Rides. They improved on what they had, played it safe and then suddenly went BANG with Blue Fire. I'm just wondering if this will be the case with Vekoma in years to come.

New "world's first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

I hope so, I also hope it does not have to close for a year or so whilst they fix trains :)

I just dont want it to be a waste of space like 13. I am hoping it will be a real thrill coaster something Alton has not had in years.

This won't be a Vekoma, it makes no sense. My money's on B&M still.

And why does B&M make sense?
The whole reason Alton hasn't had one in years is simply because for one, they aren't compact enough to suit the councils constraints, and they are too loud. Coasters like Intamin, Vekoma, Mack and so on are compact enough and quiet enough to meet most restrictions.

Depends tbh as at Sea World you cannot hear kraken or Manta, and I really mean you cannot hear them which I hate tbh.

Yeah, they've built loads of Vekoma coasters... You can't MOVE at the Merlin parks there's so many Vekomas.

TBH I also think it will be a B&M. I mean, in -05 Alton got Rita, in -06 Thorpe got Stealth and in -07 Heide got Desert Race.

Now -11 they build Krake at Heide, in -12 they build Swarm at Thorpe, and my guess is that in -13 Alton get one as well.

But we still wont know for a long time!

Vekoma are Acer. They work, sometimes do something new, but, are generally pretty crap. Cheap though.

B&M are Macs. The Macs are solid, awesome things. They're more expensive though.
Except no.

Vekoma are probably the most solid all-round company out there. They produce good rides at good prices, they are young and innovative and they are willing to customise to the exact needs of the client.

B&M are like Mac in that they are so far up their own arse and are outrageously expensive due to choices about "quality" components or methods which don't actually effect the end product from the consumer point of view much at all.

But to say about Vekoma "They work, sometimes do something new, but, are generally pretty crap. Cheap though." is just ...stupid.

PS Macs are ****. I'm on one right now and it's pissing me off with its pretentious aura.

As for the Alton coaster... Genuinely not sure. Here's what you have to remember...

Relationships between manufacturers and rides are not company wide. Just because Thorpe have a bad rep with Intamin doesn't mean anything. I've heard this rumour that "Thorpe will never buy from Intamin again" several times, and I don't doubt it after the fiasco both with Colossus and Stealth. But this has absolutely nothing to do with Alton, who purchased an Intamin only last year... We see the same thing at the Busch parks, where whilst Tampa quite happily goes to Intamin, Williamsburg threw a hissy fit and bought two rides by other manufacturers Intamin could probably do better.

Secondly, we've been told it's going to be a coaster for thrill seekers. Now, if they are genuinely serious about making this ride intense, it'll be Intamin. But I bet they aren't. They are going to market it as a thrill seeker ride, possibly the most intense thing in the world, but... That won't actually be true. The idea of it being a ride for thrill seekers tells us NOTHING except for who the audience will be in terms of marketing. It tells us that this thing will be a visually scary, adult, intense looking thing - which B&Ms are, probably more so than Intamin actually, but it doesn't tell us anything about the actual ride experience at all.

The other thing to consider is where the hell is this thing going to go? Because, quite frankly, there aren't many places at Alton a non-launching coaster COULD go. Now, if there was ever... EVER a reason to start a "launching B&M" rumour, I think it's Alton, personally.

I think it could be either or, easily - or even someone completely different. But I do genuinely recon we're looking at a launch coaster of some kind out of sheer what on earth else COULD they do?. Mack launch? Who knows. Just my two pennies.

Ben said:
Yeah, they've built loads of Vekoma coasters... You can't MOVE at the Merlin parks there's so many Vekomas.

Vekoma is one of their main suppliers of spare parts throughout merlin. They may not have many of their products, but they are involved behind the scenes MORE than you think.

Stop trying to be a smart arse Ben.

I also think you forgot Gardaland...

^^ Isn't Hulk considered a launched coaster though? If not, then I could see that rumor flaring up once someone misreads your post and flings it about elsewhere.

I honestly don't care who does it, so long as they actually make it a good gimmick.

Switching between the hideouts'...

^Yeah, but, B&M didn't do the launch, so there's lots of talk of it being the first "true" one.

Erol, I can't find an exact year for when Merlin bought Gardaland, but, it was after all their Vekomas except Mammut. And anyone that goes to anyone BUT Vekoma for a Mine Train are frankly, silly. What have Merlin built there...? Oh. A B&M. If they're so in love with them, why aren't they building them? Just because they did the Vampire trains, and you used to push people's restraints down on Vampire, doesn't mean anything. I'm fairly sure everyone is sick of you trying to push the job you USED to do as something amazing, when you were in fact, a ride op. Pretty much dirt as far as the park cares.

It could always be a Spinball/DF-esque curveball, but, I think a betting man would be with B&M or Intamin.

^ So basically a technicality...

Switching between the hideouts'...

Re: New

Intricks said:
I honestly don't care who does it, so long as they actually make it a good gimmick.
Nah nah nah. Sod the gimmick. Gimmicks don't make rides good. MAKING A GOOD RIDE makes the ride good. Let's just hope that Alton's team have got this through their thick skulls after Th13teen. I really hope this turns out to be something worthwhile, as opposed to just another +1 cred.

As for Vekoma? Somehow I doubt it unless Vekoma have something seriously special up their sleeves.

As for ride quality, Vekoma just seem to be incapable of solving the fundamental problems with roughness that seem to plague all of their rides. Just look at Rainbow Magicland. We visited the place around 6 months after the place opened, and all the Vekoma kiddie coasters were already suffering chronic bumpiness. Out of all the "second tier" manufacturers, Vekoma would probably be dead last in my order of preference.

Ben said:
^Yeah, but, B&M didn't do the launch, so there's lots of talk of it being the first "true" one.

Erol, I can't find an exact year for when Merlin bought Gardaland, but, it was after all their Vekomas except Mammut. And anyone that goes to anyone BUT Vekoma for a Mine Train are frankly, silly. What have Merlin built there...? Oh. A B&M. If they're so in love with them, why aren't they building them? Just because they did the Vampire trains, and you used to push people's restraints down on Vampire, doesn't mean anything. I'm fairly sure everyone is sick of you trying to push the job you USED to do as something amazing, when you were in fact, a ride op. Pretty much dirt as far as the park cares.

It could always be a Spinball/DF-esque curveball, but, I think a betting man would be with B&M or Intamin.

AGAIN - selective reading... Did you not read the maintenance bit? Vekoma, because of the cost, supply quite a bit of the parks spares. Good relationship? I THINK SO.

Oh, just as a note.

I also used to be a Rides Team Leader, and a winter Engineer, stripping rides apart and re-building them, and I've liaised with Vekoma, personally on several occasion. I think I know what I'm talking about... What have you done? Oh nothing. Good work my friend. Now run along and play with your dollies.

Screaming Coasters said:
I also used to be a Rides Team Leader, and a winter Engineer, stripping rides apart and re-building them, and I've liaised with Vekoma, personally on several occasion. I think I know what I'm talking about... What have you done? Oh nothing. Good work my friend. Now run along and play with your dollies.

And yet you're still almost entirely wrong whenever you use your special knowledge?

And that awkward moment when graduating from one of the ten best universities in the World is doing nothing <//3 I thought you made your millions from songs anyway, you huge iTunes star you.

Re: New

MouseAT said:
As for Vekoma? Somehow I doubt it unless Vekoma have something seriously special up their sleeves.

As for ride quality, Vekoma just seem to be incapable of solving the fundamental problems with roughness that seem to plague all of their rides. Just look at Rainbow Magicland. We visited the place around 6 months after the place opened, and all the Vekoma kiddie coasters were already suffering chronic bumpiness. Out of all the "second tier" manufacturers, Vekoma would probably be dead last in my order of preference.

This really. I can't think of a Vekoma "thrill ride" that in any way has either the quality in either reliability, or actual ride that would make them a company worth looking at for a major new coaster project - other than Gravity Max (which seems to get decent reports).

Everything else they produce is mediocre, rough or unreliable. They're a good producer of mid-range rides, fine, but they're not close to the same league as Intamin or B&M. I'm not trying to be a stupid/cool enthusiast here, it's just that they're not a major player in the world of thrill rides.

I'm not saying B&M or Intamin are perfect either, far from it, but they have considerably more hits than misses. You just need to look at the best coaster polls to see where it's dominant. Once you ride the a fair number of either B&M or Intamin, you rapidly realise just how huge the gap is between the top two and Vekoma on the thrill ride front, it's absolutely massive. Even when Intamin and B&M are poor, they're still on an even parity with Vekoma.

Has anyone got the transcript or accurate quote from John over this? If he said directly "The next major thrill coast for 2013 will be from Vekoma" then it will be. If he said "I can't really say, but Alton have been liaising personally with Vekoma recently", then it could mean anything and is most likely misdirection.

Although I agree that Vekoma are some way behind Intamin and B&M i wouldn't say Gravity Max is the only thrill ride worth its salt. Vekoma do have their hidden gems out there such as Expedition Everest which is by no means a bad ride.

I'm not saying I want a Vekoma, Just that they are capable on occasion of delivering :p

Their wood rides were generally excellent too but maybe that's just wishful thinking right there :p

Status
Not open for further replies.