What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Alton Towers | SW7 | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1st

My interest in this has been lower compared to previous new UK coasters. I put it down to Alton's previous track record of producing mediocre rides for the past 10 years and that it's a Gertslauer which could mean it ends up as disappointing as Saw.

Even the marketing hasn't really grabbed me (the sheep stunt was baaaad imo) - until they started advertsing it in London. I know it's only a few posters on the tube and a couple of projections but I can't recall the last time any park were confident enough of a new ride to use this kind of approach.

What's turned my interest around is this image:
318049_10200453588042432_1956808387_n.jpg

That looks like it'll be amazing fun. I love the how it shoots out from underground and the way the track winds around itself so symmetrically - it#s beautiful! I'm going to enjoy the headchopping moments there.

As for the name, it's not brilliant but it's not turd either. It's just a name imo. I hope that over time, enthusiasts will drop the "The" and it'll be known as "Smilier". Never liked "the" in coaster names. Pointless.

So yeah, in a nutshell, I'm slightly more excited about this than what I was last week.

Nic said:
The logo video. It comes across as saying "Look at us, aren't we clever! We've spent loads on this too!" rather than portraying the theme.

I thought this first too, but then I realized that it's probably not everyone who can link these smiley faces to Alton Towers, which this video certainly will help them to.

Nic said:
The sheep. Again, I suspect this is supposed to be some clever (and themed) comment on how the masses are all sheep. The trouble is, with all the crap that Thorpe churn out, I'm really dead against this sort of thing where they "use" the print media. It comes across as tacky and cheapening.

The Sheep video. I HATE the voiceover at the beginning, its vile, annoying, TERRIBLY worded, dull and un-themed. However, the talking sheep did make me giggle - why couldn't they have dropped the voiceover (or at least re-worded it) and just had the sheep?

Again, I think it's pretty cool with the sheeps. But yes i agree, that video was absolutely disgusting.

Nic said:
The name. Its growing on me, but I'm still not sure. If The Inoculator turns out to be the name of the secret element, than that's kinda cool, I can live with that. I don't think I'll really be able to make my mind up until I see how well it fits with the theme and how they use it. Let's wait and see...

I think once you get to know the story, and that 'The Smiler' is the device they used under the experiments, it makes a lot of sense, and automatically makes you like the name.

The marketing was interesting, the ride looks awesome but I'm not too keen on the name.

If that creepy video is official, do we not think it kinda confirms this washing machine element?

Yep just seen that on Facebook. When you click on the link it comes up with an entry form and a artist picture of the ride. What is that in the centre of the pic?

kFaOYPr.jpg

hahaha!

EDIT omg we posted that at the same time! =O

Yes and look, not lap bars as people said it would be.

Yeah, and it'll be The Incredible Hulk.... ^

I still wanna believe it'll be lap bars but..yeah marc you do have a point.

I like the name the Smiler. It's simple and obviously goes well with the brilliant smiley face logo.

I love the promotional image! And the fact that it shows the "spider" type structure which is going in the middle of this coaster is great, as it confirms that it hasn't been scrapped which I know some people were fearing.

I think if this was to have lapbars, they would be showing that in promotional images.

Well there's also a train in that image, looks like a mini B&M floorless train.

You can't read anything into these promotional images at all though, Nemesis has SLC track in a different one. It could well still have lapbars, this image doesn't tell us anything on that front.

marc said:
Yes and look, not lap bars as people said it would be.
Some people. I've always said it'll have OTSR. Look at it - it's a mess of winding, upside down track. Laps bars were never going to be an option.

However, I wouldn't read too much into that concept artwork. Concept art always looks better than the final product and Alton Towers have used incorrect trains/coaster track in previous promotional material before!

That interlocking bit of track is utterly, utterly brilliant. People WILL see that as they come down to the ride area and relate it to the logo.

I'm not fussed by the name, but with the connection to the marketing, I think it works. People will certainly link everything together and as Ian says, it's superb that Alton are going so over the top with it.

Though guaranteed, nobody I talk to will still know anything about it :p

Re: Alton Towers | The Smiler | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1

Just because the concept art features OTSR, it doesn't mean the ride itself will. It's only a conceptual impression, so don't read too much into it.

As for the name - hmmm, I'm not 100% keen TBH. I was hoping for something a tad more industrial.....more dystopian. "The Smiler" just sounds so unimaginative and rushed for what is essentially AT's biggest ever project.

I know concept art can be iffy, and most parks tend to use other coasters etc, but lapbas on this coaster would be a major feature, so I would have thought they would want to get that point across with these types of images, not the complete opposite..

I hope the ride does end up having a 4-4-4-4 layout train as opposed to two Eurofighters glued together...
Is it possible to get the train format utterly wrong in promo art like with the restraints?

Yes am sort of hoping it it wrong, we should find out sooner or later :)

Status
Not open for further replies.