What's new

Alton Towers' Next Big Thing?

That moment when you realise sub-terra is a play on words.

… but the play on words even infers that it’s sub-terrifying (as in, less than terrifying)?!

🦑

Why do these graphics look so poor? It's like they've whipped them up using paint.

Seriously Alton Towers, you're one of the top visitor attractions in the UK if not Europe - either do it properly or bring in an agency to do it for you.

It's the end of an 'era' - make a spectacle!

As there’s so much debate, I thought I’d do a critical review summing up the arguments for and against Project Horizon being each commonly debated option and judge each one based on how likely I perceive it to be.
Indoor coaster
For

• The building is to be 19.4m tall, which is pretty tall for an indoor attraction. An indoor coaster would be one logical explanation for this building height.
  • The building’s ground space is big enough that it could facilitate one, and is also quite large for a dark ride. While admittedly not a huge plot, the area in question is larger than that of Spinball Whizzer, so could certainly facilitate an enclosed family coaster.
  • When you consider the height and ground space of the building put together, I’m struggling to think of many alternatives aside from an indoor coaster. Everything else I think of is either too small in ground space, too short in height or both.
  • Merlin view coasters as being more marketable than other types of ride, and an indoor coaster is the only notable void left in Alton Towers’ coaster lineup. Indoor coasters are also more lacking at Alton Towers than dark rides; they have 3 dark rides (possibly 4 if Sub Terra reopens), but no indoor coasters.
  • John Wardley stated that “impressive coaster technology” was on its way to Alton Towers, and Horizon being an indoor coaster would match up with this statement.
Against
  • The project is not currently being emblazoned with an SW codename. This could be a hint at a non-coaster.
  • The building is a slightly odd shape for an indoor coaster, with a hipped roof at only one end. Atypical building shapes are not uncommon on indoor coasters, but even for an indoor coaster, this building shape looks odd.
  • While the area could definitely fit one, a building that’s 19.4m tall and occupies a ground space of 3,266m2 is not a huge area for an indoor coaster; it would certainly rule out any kind of huge thrill coaster, and fitting one in could be a tight squeeze.
Final Verdict
This seems like the most likely option to me at present. While some things throw the possibility of an indoor coaster into question a little, I think the evidence we currently have, such as the building height and ground space, would support the theory of it being an indoor coaster, in my view.

Flying theatre/media based dark ride
For
  • The project name of “Project Horizon” could hint towards flying… maybe hinting at a flying theatre?
  • The angled roof at one end could feasibly be to accommodate a large screen of some sort.
  • Merlin have considerable form for building flying theatres as of late; the Legoland parks have built quite a few.
  • The building has multiple doors side-by-side connecting the extension and the main building… which is similar to the boarding configuration of a flying theatre.
Against
  • Flying theatres, and most other media-based dark rides of that vein, are very compact attractions in terms of ground space, occupying less than 1,000m2 when only one theatre is used. This building is to occupy 3,266m2 of ground space, and based on the way the paths are laid out, the big building will only hold the main ride portion of one ride, which rules out the possibility of any kind of indoor area that would provide reasoning for the building holding an attraction that’s so compact inside it.
  • To counter the above argument, I’ve seen some suggest that the park could build two theatres to fill the space. However, I would argue… if it were a two-theatre flying theatre, wouldn’t the building have an angled roof on both sides rather than just on the one side?
  • Also, the building shape is subtly different to that of a flying theatre. The roof slope on Horizon is more pronounced, and the building is shaped like a rectangle, whereas the building on a flying theatre has a less pronounced roof slope and is shaped like a pentagon, with multiple angled edges.
  • Not to mention, the building height is slightly too tall for a flying theatre; Flight of the Sky Lion’s building was mentioned as being 13m tall in its planning application, while Project Horizon’s building is to be 19.4m tall.
Final Verdict
A flying theatre or media based dark ride is certainly a pretty plausible theory, but certain pieces of evidence lead me away from a flying theatre. The large ground space implies that it won’t be a one screen flying theatre, while the non-uniform building sides would hint against a two-screen flying theatre. I guess it could be some variant of a flying theatre or an alternative media based dark ride, but even then, some of the evidence leading me away from a flying theatre still stands, which is why I don’t think it is the most likely option.

Tracked dark ride
For
  • The building takes up similar ground space to many modern dark rides. It’s certainly a large building for a dark ride, but things like Symbolica and such take up around 3,000-4,000m2, and while the building is a bit bigger than Duel, it’s not a huge amount larger.
  • Merlin have recently invested in some dark ride systems that would fit Alton Towers well, so a tracked dark ride certainly isn’t out of Merlin’s recent remit. For instance, the Oceaneering ride system on Jumanji: The Adventure at Gardaland would work well at Alton Towers, in my view. Perhaps Merlin could have another Oceaneering ride up their sleeves?
Against
  • The building has an atypical shape, and dark ride buildings aren’t normally atypically shaped like that. There are exceptions, but I’d say that atypical building shapes of that style are more typical of indoor coasters or media based dark rides, on the whole. Why would they need a sloped roof on one side like that if they were building a traditional flat dark ride?
  • The building also seems very tall for a traditional tracked dark ride. Most dark ride buildings don’t tend to exceed 10m or so in height, while this is 19.4m. Unless they’re installing some truly epic grand-scale theming or using elevators and doing a TransFormers-style situation where the ride spans two floors, that seems very, very tall for a regular tracked dark ride.
  • The budget is only £12.5m, and tracked dark rides often require a large budget to make them work compared to indoor coasters and flying theatres. For instance, Jumanji at Gardaland cost €20m. Would a £12.5m budget really stretch far enough for a tracked dark ride?
Final Verdict
This is certainly possible, but I’d say that it’s less likely than the other two ideas. I don’t see a tracked dark ride needing a building that tall and shaped in that way unless they’ve got something seriously special planned, and £12.5m does also seem a touch low in budget for a big scale tracked dark ride. It’s certainly plausible, and I think it would work well, but I’m not sure I see it as the most likely option, personally.

Indoor water ride (a la Valhalla)
For
  • Many argue that Alton Towers needs a new water ride as well as a new dark ride, and this option would kill two birds with one stone, particularly if it had some sort of adjustable wetness option to take seasonal weather variations into account.
  • Similarly to an indoor coaster, the ground space and height put together would make a building that’s about right for one. It has been noted that the ground space occupied by the building is suspiciously very similar to that of Valhalla, even if the building isn’t quite as tall…
Against
  • I would personally argue that building an indoor water ride would cancel out many of the advantages of building an indoor attraction in the first place. For instance, an indoor water ride would be unable to operate (or at least, be very unpopular) during the colder and wetter periods, and year-round operation and year-round popularity are often key motives behind building indoor attractions in the first place. With that in mind, would Alton Towers see such a ride as viable or worth the effort for their biggest indoor attraction investment in many years?
  • The biggest thing working against this theory is that the Sustainability Statement revealed that the building “will not have a water supply”. Therefore, unless Alton Towers think up some very innovative way of getting water into the building without using the mains, such as building a reservoir or hiring water tanks, a water ride looks unlikely, in my view.
Final Verdict
Anything is possible, but I’m not sure that this one is terribly likely myself. It could happen and I could be totally wrong, but the combination of the lack of year-round viability of such an attraction and the lack of a mains water supply to the building leads me away from this one. It could happen, but it’s the option I see as least likely out of the ones commonly listed.

Do you agree with me? Do you think there’s any for or against points that I’ve missed out for a particular theory?

As there’s so much debate, I thought I’d do a critical review summing up the arguments for and against Project Horizon being each commonly debated option and judge each one based on how likely I perceive it to be.
Indoor coaster
For

• The building is to be 19.4m tall, which is pretty tall for an indoor attraction. An indoor coaster would be one logical explanation for this building height.
  • The building’s ground space is big enough that it could facilitate one, and is also quite large for a dark ride. While admittedly not a huge plot, the area in question is larger than that of Spinball Whizzer, so could certainly facilitate an enclosed family coaster.
  • When you consider the height and ground space of the building put together, I’m struggling to think of many alternatives aside from an indoor coaster. Everything else I think of is either too small in ground space, too short in height or both.
  • Merlin view coasters as being more marketable than other types of ride, and an indoor coaster is the only notable void left in Alton Towers’ coaster lineup. Indoor coasters are also more lacking at Alton Towers than dark rides; they have 3 dark rides (possibly 4 if Sub Terra reopens), but no indoor coasters.
  • John Wardley stated that “impressive coaster technology” was on its way to Alton Towers, and Horizon being an indoor coaster would match up with this statement.
Against
  • The project is not currently being emblazoned with an SW codename. This could be a hint at a non-coaster.
  • The building is a slightly odd shape for an indoor coaster, with a hipped roof at only one end. Atypical building shapes are not uncommon on indoor coasters, but even for an indoor coaster, this building shape looks odd.
  • While the area could definitely fit one, a building that’s 19.4m tall and occupies a ground space of 3,266m2 is not a huge area for an indoor coaster; it would certainly rule out any kind of huge thrill coaster, and fitting one in could be a tight squeeze.
Final Verdict
This seems like the most likely option to me at present. While some things throw the possibility of an indoor coaster into question a little, I think the evidence we currently have, such as the building height and ground space, would support the theory of it being an indoor coaster, in my view.

Flying theatre/media based dark ride
For
  • The project name of “Project Horizon” could hint towards flying… maybe hinting at a flying theatre?
  • The angled roof at one end could feasibly be to accommodate a large screen of some sort.
  • Merlin have considerable form for building flying theatres as of late; the Legoland parks have built quite a few.
  • The building has multiple doors side-by-side connecting the extension and the main building… which is similar to the boarding configuration of a flying theatre.
Against
  • Flying theatres, and most other media-based dark rides of that vein, are very compact attractions in terms of ground space, occupying less than 1,000m2 when only one theatre is used. This building is to occupy 3,266m2 of ground space, and based on the way the paths are laid out, the big building will only hold the main ride portion of one ride, which rules out the possibility of any kind of indoor area that would provide reasoning for the building holding an attraction that’s so compact inside it.
  • To counter the above argument, I’ve seen some suggest that the park could build two theatres to fill the space. However, I would argue… if it were a two-theatre flying theatre, wouldn’t the building have an angled roof on both sides rather than just on the one side?
  • Also, the building shape is subtly different to that of a flying theatre. The roof slope on Horizon is more pronounced, and the building is shaped like a rectangle, whereas the building on a flying theatre has a less pronounced roof slope and is shaped like a pentagon, with multiple angled edges.
  • Not to mention, the building height is slightly too tall for a flying theatre; Flight of the Sky Lion’s building was mentioned as being 13m tall in its planning application, while Project Horizon’s building is to be 19.4m tall.
Final Verdict
A flying theatre or media based dark ride is certainly a pretty plausible theory, but certain pieces of evidence lead me away from a flying theatre. The large ground space implies that it won’t be a one screen flying theatre, while the non-uniform building sides would hint against a two-screen flying theatre. I guess it could be some variant of a flying theatre or an alternative media based dark ride, but even then, some of the evidence leading me away from a flying theatre still stands, which is why I don’t think it is the most likely option.

Tracked dark ride
For
  • The building takes up similar ground space to many modern dark rides. It’s certainly a large building for a dark ride, but things like Symbolica and such take up around 3,000-4,000m2, and while the building is a bit bigger than Duel, it’s not a huge amount larger.
  • Merlin have recently invested in some dark ride systems that would fit Alton Towers well, so a tracked dark ride certainly isn’t out of Merlin’s recent remit. For instance, the Oceaneering ride system on Jumanji: The Adventure at Gardaland would work well at Alton Towers, in my view. Perhaps Merlin could have another Oceaneering ride up their sleeves?
Against
  • The building has an atypical shape, and dark ride buildings aren’t normally atypically shaped like that. There are exceptions, but I’d say that atypical building shapes of that style are more typical of indoor coasters or media based dark rides, on the whole. Why would they need a sloped roof on one side like that if they were building a traditional flat dark ride?
  • The building also seems very tall for a traditional tracked dark ride. Most dark ride buildings don’t tend to exceed 10m or so in height, while this is 19.4m. Unless they’re installing some truly epic grand-scale theming or using elevators and doing a TransFormers-style situation where the ride spans two floors, that seems very, very tall for a regular tracked dark ride.
  • The budget is only £12.5m, and tracked dark rides often require a large budget to make them work compared to indoor coasters and flying theatres. For instance, Jumanji at Gardaland cost €20m. Would a £12.5m budget really stretch far enough for a tracked dark ride?
Final Verdict
This is certainly possible, but I’d say that it’s less likely than the other two ideas. I don’t see a tracked dark ride needing a building that tall and shaped in that way unless they’ve got something seriously special planned, and £12.5m does also seem a touch low in budget for a big scale tracked dark ride. It’s certainly plausible, and I think it would work well, but I’m not sure I see it as the most likely option, personally.

Indoor water ride (a la Valhalla)
For
  • Many argue that Alton Towers needs a new water ride as well as a new dark ride, and this option would kill two birds with one stone, particularly if it had some sort of adjustable wetness option to take seasonal weather variations into account.
  • Similarly to an indoor coaster, the ground space and height put together would make a building that’s about right for one. It has been noted that the ground space occupied by the building is suspiciously very similar to that of Valhalla, even if the building isn’t quite as tall…
Against
  • I would personally argue that building an indoor water ride would cancel out many of the advantages of building an indoor attraction in the first place. For instance, an indoor water ride would be unable to operate (or at least, be very unpopular) during the colder and wetter periods, and year-round operation and year-round popularity are key motives behind building indoor attractions in the first place. With that in mind, would Alton Towers see such a ride as viable or worth the effort for their biggest indoor attraction investment in many years?
  • The biggest thing working against this theory is that the Sustainability Statement revealed that the building “will not have a water supply”. Therefore, unless Alton Towers think up some very innovative way of getting water into the building without using the mains, such as building a reservoir or hiring water tanks, a water ride looks unlikely, in my view.
Final Verdict
Anything is possible, but I’m not sure that this one is terribly likely myself. It could happen and I could be totally wrong, but the combination of the lack of year-round viability of such an attraction and the lack of a mains water supply to the building leads me away from this one. It could happen, but it’s the option I see as least likely out of the ones commonly listed.

Do you agree with me? Do you think there’s any for or against points that I’ve missed out for a particular theory?
Nope, I got 2 paragraphs in before I realised you were cherry picking again… Trying to make your wishes reality :p

Nope, I got 2 paragraphs in before I realised you were cherry picking again… Trying to make your wishes reality :p
I apologise if it comes across like I’m biased; I’ll digress that that can sometimes be hard to avoid. However, I tried to go mostly for empirical pieces of evidence rather than more subjective stuff. Although given the lack of info aside from building statistics, I’ll admit that I struggled to come up with empirical justifications for some of the theories.

To support my theory of an indoor coaster, I would raise the combination of the building height, the building shape and the ground space it will occupy. Let me ask you this; what other option would require a building with all 3 of those attributes while also not having a water supply?

From where I’m standing, a flying theatre is too small in ground space if it’s 1 theatre and doesn’t suit the building shape if it’s 2 theatres, a tracked dark ride doesn’t typically require a building that tall, and an indoor water ride would typically require a water supply unless they’re thinking outside the box to get the water in there.

Therefore, I see an indoor coaster as the most likely theory. I’m not saying it’s a dead cert, because it isn’t, but weighing up the evidence for and against, I personally see it as more likely than the other theories.

Sorry to waste your time, as I know that my argument will not be perfect, but from where I’m standing, an indoor coaster hardly seems like a baseless theory, and to me at least, it seems like the most likely option.

Out of interest, which bits do you think come across as “cherry picking”?

I apologise if it comes across like I’m biased; I’ll digress that that can sometimes be hard to avoid. However, I tried to go mostly for empirical pieces of evidence rather than more subjective stuff. Although given the lack of info aside from building statistics, I’ll admit that I struggled to come up with empirical justifications for some of the theories.

To support my theory of an indoor coaster, I would raise the combination of the building height, the building shape and the ground space it will occupy. Let me ask you this; what other option would require a building with all 3 of those attributes while also not having a water supply?

From where I’m standing, a flying theatre is too small in ground space if it’s 1 theatre and doesn’t suit the building shape if it’s 2 theatres, a tracked dark ride doesn’t typically require a building that tall, and an indoor water ride would typically require a water supply unless they’re thinking outside the box to get the water in there.

Therefore, I see an indoor coaster as the most likely theory. I’m not saying it’s a dead cert, because it isn’t, but weighing up the evidence for and against, I personally see it as more likely than the other theories.

Sorry to waste your time, as I know that my argument will not be perfect, but from where I’m standing, an indoor coaster hardly seems like a baseless theory, and to me at least, it seems like the most likely option.

Out of interest, which bits do you think come across as “cherry picking”?
Ok matt, I’ll do one of your lists, and one only as I am on my phone… But also because I know you’re convinced it’s a coaster, and nothing is going to change your mind, make you calm down, and wait and see… So here is why I was a bit harsh in my last comment…

Indoor coaster
For

It’s also the perfect size for several of the new screen based ride, including the new version of the flying theatre, that Intamin conveniently started promoting around the same time JW made his comments r.e something new.
It is, it’s also big enough that it could accommodate something like one of the ride types mentioned above. You need to remember these ride systems can be configured in lots of different ways for capacity needs. The Tower for example can be one tower 2 gondola / one tower 4 gondola or even 2 tower 4 gondola.

A dark ride could be any size, and doesn’t necessarily have to remain on one level.

A water ride would need both the height and the area.

See above
When was the last time Alton Towers had a major, ground up, none coaster addition?

This is the bit that really annoyed me, he stated nothing of the sort! Coasters were mentioned by the person asking the question, but the answer is in no way clearly referring to just ‘coasters.’ He could just as easily have been talking about any advancement in ride technology.

And if we’re getting a ground breaking rollercoaster, so advanced it’s the thing that’s most impressed JW lately, plus a huge show building, for £12.5M then I’ll be very very impressed.

If I was at my PC and not on my phone I would go through the rest of your lists, despite the fact I know it’s futile. But thankfully for everyone else reading, I’m not 🙈😂

Ok matt, I’ll do one of your lists, and one only as I am on my phone… But also because I know you’re convinced it’s a coaster, and nothing is going to change your mind, make you calm down, and wait and see… So here is why I was a bit harsh in my last comment…

It’s also the perfect size for several of the new screen based ride, including the new version of the flying theatre, that Intamin conveniently started promoting around the same time JW made his comments r.e something new.

It is, it’s also big enough that it could accommodate something like one of the ride types mentioned above. You need to remember these ride systems can be configured in lots of different ways for capacity needs. The Tower for example can be one tower 2 gondola / one tower 4 gondola or even 2 tower 4 gondola.

A dark ride could be any size, and doesn’t necessarily have to remain on one level.

A water ride would need both the height and the area.

See above

When was the last time Alton Towers had a major, ground up, none coaster addition?

This is the bit that really annoyed me, he stated nothing of the sort! Coasters were mentioned by the person asking the question, but the answer is in no way clearly referring to just ‘coasters.’ He could just as easily have been talking about any advancement in ride technology.

And if we’re getting a ground breaking rollercoaster, so advanced it’s the thing that’s most impressed JW lately, plus a huge show building, for £12.5M then I’ll be very very impressed.

If I was at my PC and not on my phone I would go through the rest of your lists, despite the fact I know it’s futile. But thankfully for everyone else reading, I’m not 🙈😂
I’m not adamant that it is going to be a coaster, because it would be foolish of me to exclude the other possibilities with the little information we have.

I simply believe it to be the most likely option based on the present evidence I have before me. I apologise if I come across hot-headed or stubborn, as that wasn’t my intent. I simply wanted to explain the reasons why I feel that a coaster is what I am personally predicting. I know no more than you do, Nicky, so it would be foolish of me to rule out the other possibilities. I fully accept that there are plenty of reasons why it might not be an indoor coaster.

However, a coaster is my current prediction based on the evidence I have before me. I’m not saying that it’s a 100% dead cert, because it isn’t, but if I were a betting man, an indoor coaster is what I’d be betting on.

I apologise, as it does seem like I misinterpreted Wardley’s comment slightly. I seem to remember him mentioning coasters, but that clearly isn’t the case in hindsight. You also raise the budget point, which I agree with in hindsight; £12.5m does seem low for “impressive coaster technology”.

You raise the Intamin flying theatres; they are a valid point, and they would admittedly fit well at Alton Towers. I will also digress that the Motion Tower’s reveal right alongside Wardley’s Q&A is suspicious to say the least. However, there are a few things that lead me away from each of them.

I take it you’re talking about the Motion Tower when you refer to the new Intamin flying theatre, based on the fact that it has “New” next to it on the website. Well, according to Intamin’s product brochure (https://www.intamin.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/Motion-Tower-Intamin-1.pdf), the Motion Tower is 29m tall, which would be too tall for the Project Horizon building, and it’s also only 6m*27m in ground space, which is neither anywhere near as big as the Horizon building (6*27 is 162m2, while Project Horizon’s building is 3,266m2, therefore the Motion Tower’s area isn’t even 1/10 of the Horizon building space. The Horizon building is also 71m*46m, so even the longest length of a Motion Tower doesn’t quite match the shortest length of the building).

I take on board your point about configuration options, and that is of course true. They could make it shorter. They could build multiple of them, or have a double sided screen so that the tower can run double sided gondolas for extra capacity. However, I don’t see it as a question of whether they could go for greater capacity, because they always could, but rather more as a question of whether they would. These rides are expensive pieces of kit, and the Motion Tower on its own has a 1,000pph theoretical throughput. That in itself would line up fine with the throughput of a typical Towers attraction without needing to use so much space.

If you’re not talking about the Motion Tower, then this post is thoroughly useless and I’ll go and look at different Intamin products…

I’ll shut up now, as it’s becoming clear that I’m annoying you and my argument has no legs… sorry to waste your time.

The truth is that ultimately, we simply don’t know…

A taller showbuilding could simply mean that the physical sets could be larger than what we're used to from Merlin in the UK.

In regards to the technology, I really do hope that it's not one of Intamin's new screen based attractions unless it's the concept that's going to Efteling. We need more physical theming and less screens.

£12 million does seem a little steep for a Motion Tower anyway, there isn't a lot to it other than the ride sequence and a screen.

A taller showbuilding could simply mean that the physical sets could be larger than what we're used to from Merlin in the UK.

In regards to the technology, I really do hope that it's not one of Intamin's new screen based attractions unless it's the concept that's going to Efteling. We need more physical theming and less screens.
That is very true.

One thing I’d say there, however, is that large physical sets = more money, and £12.5m isn’t a whole lot of money for a big budget dark ride. It’s less money than was spent on Jumanji: The Adventure (€20m), as well as DBGT (unconfirmed, but rumoured to be in the ballpark of £30m).

Physical theming could cost less than I expect, and it’s certainly plausible if the ride hardware isn’t anything too expensive, but building physical theming that occupies a 19.4m building could be pricey.

I’m not adamant that it is going to be a coaster, because it would be foolish of me to exclude the other possibilities with the little information we have.

I simply believe it to be the most likely option based on the present evidence I have before me. I apologise if I come across hot-headed or stubborn, as that wasn’t my intent. I simply wanted to explain the reasons why I feel that a coaster is what I am personally predicting. I know no more than you do, Nicky, so it would be foolish of me to rule out the other possibilities. I fully accept that there are plenty of reasons why it might not be an indoor coaster.

However, a coaster is my current prediction based on the evidence I have before me. I’m not saying that it’s a 100% dead cert, because it isn’t, but if I were a betting man, an indoor coaster is what I’d be betting on.

I apologise, as it does seem like I misinterpreted Wardley’s comment slightly. I seem to remember him mentioning coasters, but that clearly isn’t the case in hindsight. You also raise the budget point, which I agree with in hindsight; £12.5m does seem low for “impressive coaster technology”.

You raise the Intamin flying theatres; they are a valid point, and they would admittedly fit well at Alton Towers. I will also digress that the Motion Tower’s reveal right alongside Wardley’s Q&A is suspicious to say the least. However, there are a few things that lead me away from each of them.

I take it you’re talking about the Motion Tower when you refer to the new Intamin flying theatre, based on the fact that it has “New” next to it on the website. Well, according to Intamin’s product brochure (https://www.intamin.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/Motion-Tower-Intamin-1.pdf), the Motion Tower is 29m tall, which would be too tall for the Project Horizon building, and it’s also only 6m*27m in ground space, which is neither anywhere near as big as the Horizon building (6*27 is 162m2, while Project Horizon’s building is 3,266m2, therefore the Motion Tower’s area isn’t even 1/10 of the Horizon building space. The Horizon building is also 71m*46m, so even the longest length of a Motion Tower doesn’t quite match the shortest length of the building).

I take on board your point about configuration options, and that is of course true. They could make it shorter. They could build multiple of them, or have a double sided screen so that the tower can run double sided gondolas for extra capacity. However, I don’t see it as a question of whether they could go for greater capacity, because they always could, but rather more as a question of whether they would. These rides are expensive pieces of kit, and the Motion Tower on its own has a 1,000pph theoretical throughput. That in itself would line up fine with the throughput of a typical Towers attraction without needing to use so much space.

If you’re not talking about the Motion Tower, then this post is thoroughly useless and I’ll go and look at different Intamin products…

I’ll shut up now, as it’s becoming clear that I’m annoying you and my argument has no legs… sorry to waste your time.

The truth is that ultimately, we simply don’t know…
Matt, think about that for one second... 6m... 🙈 😂 That's literally just the width of the tower itself's base... Not the width of the room needed to contain at least one of them with it's own loading platform and a huge wrap around screen in front. Not to mention at least one pre show, batching area, and utility rooms.

The required space for just one, and without the loading area behind (as per pic below) and without everything else I mentioned, is 35m x 17m. The main show room looks to be 71m x 46m

vlcsnap-2022-04-08-15h03m00s823.png

Regarding the configuration options.

Screenshot 2022-11-03 220355.jpg

The theoretical throughput is even more pointless on these listings, than it is on a coaster. Because it will very much depend on show length. But to be honest, that's not the alteration I think Towers would make, it's more the height thing, I don't think they'd want it to be too extreme, with too much of a drop, So if they built something like this, or the Ultra Towers, I think they'd ask for a lower height. The lower material costs may even reduce overall costs in the current climate.

ANYWAY, Now you've made me babble on so much it looks like I'm certain it will be something like this, I'm not, I think it could still be anything...

Could be something like this
Could be a tracked / trackless dark ride
Could be a water ride (to address a point you made earlier, which I forgot to address, you do know there's already a water ride of next door? Though I do think we'd have seen signs of water works in the plans, there is a chance that could be added later.)
Could even be a COASTER. :)

That is very true.

One thing I’d say there, however, is that large physical sets = more money, and £12.5m isn’t a whole lot of money for a big budget dark ride. It’s less money than was spent on Jumanji: The Adventure (€20m)

Advertised budgets are always inflated in the press releases when things like marketing and Intellectual Property are factored into them. It does also state in the infographic on the planning portal that the £12.5 million is a construction budget, so that would likely include the building, ride system, theming, contractors etc.

Last edited:
Matt, think about that for one second... 6m... 🙈 😂 That's literally just the width of the tower itself's base... Not the width of the room needed to contain at least one of them with it's own loading platform and a huge wrap around screen in front. Not to mention at least one pre show, batching area, and utility rooms.

The required space for just one, and without the loading area behind (as per pic below) and without everything else I mentioned, is 35m x 17m. The main show room looks to be 71m x 46m

View attachment 21498

Regarding the configuration options.

View attachment 21497

The theoretical throughput is even more pointless on these listings, than it is on a coaster. Because it will very much depend on show length. But to be honest, that's not the alteration I think Towers would make, it's more the height thing, I don't think they'd want it to be too extreme, with too much of a drop, So if they built something like this, or the Ultra Towers, I think they'd ask for a lower height. The lower material costs may even reduce overall costs in the current climate.

ANYWAY, Now you've made me babble on so much it looks like I'm certain it will be something like this, I'm not, I think it could still be anything...

Could be something like this
Could be a tracked / trackless dark ride
Could be a water ride (to address a point you made earlier, which I forgot to address, you do know there's already a water ride of next door? Though I do think we'd have seen signs of water works in the plans, there is a chance that could be added later.)
Could even be a COASTER. :)
Ah… I sincerely apologise, Nicky, as I didn’t see the video with the 35m*17m statistic. I assumed that Intamin meant the area taken up by the entire ride in their brochure…

One thing I would say, though, is that the loading area could be housed in the 10m*40m extension at the front, saving space for the ride itself. 35m*17m wouldn’t fill the entire building on its own, and I can’t imagine that maintenance areas and such would fill the remaining space on their own. It could admittedly accommodate a second Motion Tower, but once again, I ask; wouldn’t the building be angled on more than just the one side if there was a second?

As for the point about the water supply; I didn’t think of the Dungeons, and that is a valid point. I’m not sure that they’d be able to share water between the two, however, because I seem to remember hearing that some sort of legislation was introduced after its construction that mandated the use of a closed, treated water loop on all new water rides, therefore using Dungeons’ water would flout the law… correct me if I’m wrong there.

For clarity, Nicky, I fully agree with you that it could be literally anything. A coaster is simply my own prediction, not something I am 100% certain will be coming. I could be totally wrong, we could be all be sat on the world’s first Intamin Motion Tower or whatever in 2025, and I could be eating a large slice of humble pie. A coaster being built is simply my interpretation of the evidence I see. I could be totally wrong.

I think I should stop now, as I can sense that my credibility and reputation around here fall into oblivion more and more with each character I type… sorry to waste your time, Nicky.

Ah… I sincerely apologise, Nicky, as I didn’t see the video with the 35m*17m statistic. I assumed that Intamin meant the area taken up by the entire ride in their brochure…

One thing I would say, though, is that the loading area could be housed in the 10m*40m extension at the front, saving space for the ride itself. 35m*17m wouldn’t fill the entire building on its own, and I can’t imagine that maintenance areas and such would fill the remaining space on their own. It could admittedly accommodate a second Motion Tower, but once again, I ask; wouldn’t the building be angled on more than just the one side if there was a second?

As for the point about the water supply; I didn’t think of the Dungeons, and that is a valid point. I’m not sure that they’d be able to share water between the two, however, because I seem to remember hearing that some sort of legislation was introduced after its construction that mandated the use of a closed, treated water loop on all new water rides, therefore using Dungeons’ water would flout the law… correct me if I’m wrong there.

For clarity, Nicky, I fully agree with you that it could be literally anything. A coaster is simply my own prediction, not something I am 100% certain will be coming. I could be totally wrong, we could be all be sat on the world’s first Intamin Motion Tower or whatever in 2025, and I could be eating a large slice of humble pie. A coaster being built is simply my interpretation of the evidence I see. I could be totally wrong.

I think I should stop now, as I can sense that my credibility and reputation around here fall into oblivion more and more with each character I type… sorry to waste your time, Nicky.
Don't stop.

Not 100% sure what that entrance room will be used for, but I must say, there's nothing about those 3 doors, and the way they're spaced, that screams coaster to me. But yes, they could batch in there, or it could be a pre show. It's listed purely as an entrance portal, and I think it mentions being entirely glass, which I would suggest rules out a pre show being in there. I could be wrong, but I can't see them building a ride of this scope without a pre show, so that also needs to be hosted somewhere.

BTW If you look at the design access statement, they at least try and make the point that the roof design is to mitigate any risk of it being seen above the trees. Of course, it may well have a practical reason too, and they're using it to gain favour, but this is why I'm not paying much attention to the roof shape as things are.
What you also have to consider, is that hopefully there will be substantial theming. Those measurements, 71 x 46 are the exterior measurements, once you've added the thickness of the exterior cladding and sheeting, the framework, possibly the interior skin, and with any luck a good amount of theming, you'll be left with much less on the interior.

Depending on the depth of theming you could lose a good few metres off each measurement once you factor in the losses. Of course if it's just a steel shell, and no theming, the losses will be minimal. But this applies whatever the ride system is, even if it's a coaster, it will not be able to make use of the entire outer dimensions, obviously. Then you need space for plant, operators, emergency access and possibly a batching area or pre show area, maybe even both.

Just promise me one thing Matt, this could be a coaster, but it's just as likely to be something else. If it isn't a coaster, promise you'll judge the ride on what the ride is, not what you thought it was going to be. :) 👍

Don't stop.

Not 100% sure what that entrance room will be used for, but I must say, there's nothing about those 3 doors, and the way they're spaced, that screams coaster to me. But yes, they could batch in there, or it could be a pre show. It's listed purely as an entrance portal, and I think it mentions being entirely glass, which I would suggest rules out a pre show being in there. I could be wrong, but I can't see them building a ride of this scope without a pre show, so that also needs to be hosted somewhere.

BTW If you look at the design access statement, they at least try and make the point that the roof design is to mitigate any risk of it being seen above the trees. Of course, it may well have a practical reason too, and they're using it to gain favour, but this is why I'm not paying much attention to the roof shape as things are.
What you also have to consider, is that hopefully there will be substantial theming. Those measurements, 71 x 46 are the exterior measurements, once you've added the thickness of the exterior cladding and sheeting, the framework, possibly the interior skin, and with any luck a good amount of theming, you'll be left with much less on the interior.

Depending on the depth of theming you could lose a good few metres off each measurement once you factor in the losses. Of course if it's just a steel shell, and no theming, the losses will be minimal. But this applies whatever the ride system is, even if it's a coaster, it will not be able to make use of the entire outer dimensions, obviously. Then you need space for plant, operators, emergency access and possibly a batching area or pre show area, maybe even both.

Just promise me one thing Matt, this could be a coaster, but it's just as likely to be something else. If it isn't a coaster, promise you'll judge the ride on what the ride is, not what you thought it was going to be. :) 👍
My thought was that the 3 doors could possibly be main queue/Fastrack/RAP queue doors. The 3 queues don’t appear to merge prior to entering the building extension, so perhaps those 3 doors are simply to accommodate those 3 queues? As you say, they absolutely could be for some kind of pre-show, but they also could be for that simple purpose as well.

That is very true, and not something I considered. Would the building be easier to see on that one side, perhaps?

Yes, I agree that it could be anything. Of course I’ll judge it for what it is when it opens. What makes you think I wouldn’t, out of interest? Being in the predictive stages and actually being on the ride are two very different things, and your own original predictions become much easier to cast aside when you actually ride.

If you don’t mind me asking, however; what is it you don’t like about me making predictions about what I personally think is most likely based on the evidence, particularly when there is some empirical evidence to work with in this case? (Rather than none, which has admittedly been the case in the past)

Last edited:
Sorry to double post, but one thing I’ve heard mentioned is that those documents that say “rollercoaster” are in effect legal documents, so the park surely wouldn’t want to inadvertently mislead the authorities… even though bits of the application are near copied and pasted from Exodus’, bits have been changed to reflect the project in question, and anything they say can and will be held against them if the things said in those statements don’t happen.

So given that they’ve said “rollercoaster” multiple times in documents that could potentially make them culpable legally if what they say isn’t reflected in reality, you’d like to imagine that they proof read those documents thoroughly, and that “rollercoaster” is what they intend to build rather than an accidental slip of the tongue left in from Exodus’ application. Any slight whiff of inaccurate info or wording in that planning application, even the smallest thing, could get them into real trouble.

I know that that in itself is not necessarily explicit confirmation, but it’s certainly something to chew over…

Honestly the more I think about it, I kind of hope it’s not a coaster. Alton have a pretty good coaster collection to be honest, and sure we’d all love a new one, but I don’t think that is the best thing for the parks future right now.

I was there at the park with a friend yesterday who isn’t as crazy about coasters. Smiler and Oblivion she wouldn’t ride. Because I’m normally lapping coasters sometimes I don’t actually stop to think about this. But there wasn’t that many great alternatives to coasters suitable. They are sorely missing a modern water ride, however I’m not sure that’s the best move for the park either considering it’s very seasonal. Something like Voletarium would actually be great at Alton. Motion tower might actually be the way to go.