What's new

Alton Towers' Galactica VR coaster/Rollercoaster Restaurant

Smithy

Strata Poster
Re: Alton Towers - Galactica VR coaster/Rollercoaster Restau

I'd imagine once these things become common place they'll start to trust guests to put them on themselves.

Dar

Hyper Poster

The headsets are going to be wiped down after each cycle as well, hence the op on every row.

Sandman

Giga Poster

All this manpower just to ride with a headset. Just, you know what... give me back Air!

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Re: Alton Towers' Galactica VR coaster/Rollercoaster Restaur

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyUhqayUoWA[/youtube]

Some more footage here

Sandman

Giga Poster

Will never like that portal. Ever.

Also love how the guy is quoting coaster stats, as if it hasn't already been sat there for 14 years :lol:
What concerns me here is that the VR thing is all well and good, but it just doesn't look like much effort has been taken outside of the goggles to really repackage this ride and give it a new identity. Just a bit of new music and station announcements/TV clip.

Smithy

Strata Poster

Difficult to gauge from a media day where opinions can be taken with a pinch of salt but from what I've seen around the net today the feedback has been hugely positive.

They had a Samsung VR set up at Westfield the other day complete with a roller coaster cart but I never had the time to give it a go.

witchfinder

Hyper Poster

Good to know it's got springy springs and ear bits. That's technical talk from TechRadar! :lol:

zazobo

Hyper Poster

Sandman said:
Will never like that portal. Ever.

Agreed. Looks ****. Couldn't they use a colour that looked as if it was POSSIBLY MAYBE made to go around a greeny track?!

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Hold the front page! I've found an unbiased, in-depth and balanced review of NuAir!

http://n.mynews.ly/!QB.DmUwJ

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

Ian's link won't work for me? Didn't when I tried day before yesterday, either?

A friend of mine who's opinion I trust went today and said this...

"Air queue doesn't seem to be any worse than usual. Nobody screams on it. It goes round in silence. That's a weird effect.

Okay, done it. It's not so good.

The very first bit, tunnel and lift are fine. But the rest is just bland, very basic graphics and not a great sense of depth.

You wanna get here to try it quickly though, because these headsets are REALLY gross. All they do is wetwipe them. In a few months they will be haggard."

Think I'll pass.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

If Alton is doing that bad of a job with cleaning the VR headsets, I won't bother with Six Flags' VR.

Rach

Giga Poster

We ventured up there today and managed to ride it first thing this morning.
Thought I'd share so observations.

It held a queue of 60-90 minutes all day on a Saturday, but the rest of the park was dead!

The throughput of it is really bad. The queue barely moves anymore.
We were the 3rd train of the day out of the left side of the station and that still took the best part of 40 minutes to get on and off.

The unloading is tedious, even staff seemed fed up of the routine already and it has been open 2 days!
Craft comes in, headset cleaned with disinfectant wet wipe, put back in pouch, move onto the next person. Wait until the whole train has got the headsets away and then release the restraints.

Loading is pretty much the same, pull restraint down, handed headset after being rubbed over with a dry cloth. Try to adjust the strap and focal quality with the bulky restraints and wait! Ride op then resets the headset from a new panel next to each seat.

The actual VR is quite good. Lift hill is great, then as you crest it, it just bounces around with the movement of the coaster so it's quite jumpy.
They seem to have tried to squash as much to see as possible into a short ride time.

Seemed quite a lot of people liked it, but after a couple of rides with the same film, can quite easily see it becoming un-rerideable and people not bothering anymore.

With them literally just putting a wet wipe over the headset and then drying them, it won't be long before they are disgusting!

I worry that as the park approaches the summer season and the initial peak of "new ride experience" as worn off, the queues will be vile with fewer staff maintaining the ride and the hygiene being forgotten about. Hopefully they can keep running it in sync too otherwise there will be a lot of ill guests!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster

What do the 'upgrades' to the station look like? Has it been enclosed like they said? What about the Rollercoaster Restaurant, is it just in the building that the air shop used to be in or has it had a refurb/extension?

The only pictures that seem to get shown are of the new stargate.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster

^Forgot to post them but saw these on Facebook earlier:

944992_760056164125018_2774452406769692732_n.jpg

12140780_760056170791684_1561691179350323292_n.jpg

12512401_760056210791680_9148118524502119822_n.jpg

1936255_760056224125012_7737051033709835205_n.jpg

12494844_760056250791676_8145627161228464245_n.jpg

From: https://www.facebook.com/Smilercoasters ... 6320791669

Looks quite nice I think.Not the layout of the building I'd imagined though...

owentaylor121

Giga Poster

Just come back from the park, I have to say I was really surprised at how good this was, I really enjoyed it, however the queue was vile! It just doesn't move, it's horrible, we waited an hour from half way across the bridge by the station, it was just stupid, absolutely fantastic experience though, as long as they sort the throughput out it will be a winner in my eyes!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

as long as they sort the throughput out it will be a winner in my eyes!
They can't. There isn't a solution here.

I'm glad to hear you thought it was good though - can we get a more in depth review?

nealbie

CF Legend

Joey said:

Yes there is, and it's a very simple one. Stop being so negative :p

They need to get hold of medical antibacterial cleaning wipes and they need to offer them to each rider when they sit down to clean them themselves. The guest is within their right to ask that the staff member does it for them, but a great liability get out clause is instructing the customer that the headset needs cleaning.

In the opticians for the pre screening equipment that we use on people, they legally have to be cleaned between every person (like with the headsets on the ride). Because throughput isn't a concern of ours really, we will generally do this ourselves, in front of the patient - but if they do it themselves (sometimes they want to), then that also covers it.

Like I said, riders can refuse if they're tosspots and make the staff do it, but it covers the legality and has the awesome bonus of increasing loading times/throughput. This way staff will only have to make sure headsets are secure and normal ride stuff. Yes it will always be slower than a standard coaster load, but it would help a lot.

Stupidity dictates they won't do it though.

Dar

Hyper Poster

What if the rider doesn't do it because they can't be bothered to wait? So they don't clean it and the staff member doesn't see. Where would that leave them in terms of liability?

:)

nealbie

CF Legend

That's the best bit, it's their responsibility <3

As it's been delegated to them and they've not asked the staff to do it instead.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster

Joey said:

I'm glad to hear you thought it was good though - can we get a more in depth review?
Yeah.
When I first boarded and put the head set on I noticed how heavy It was on my nose, and the speakers did hurt my ears a little but was soon as you go into the flying position you don't notice it, going up the lift hill was awesome it was really well done. Don't want to give away any spoilers! It's strange it doesn't feel like your on a flying coaster, it was a strange feeling but an amazing one, I was completely in shock when flying around at how well synced it all was, no sickness at all. I have to say definitely come and try it, it's so much better than Air, personally! I would have gone straight back onit if it wasn't for the slow moving queue!