What's new

Alton Towers | Farmyard Retheme to "CBeebies Land"

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I'm still fencing on this.
From a purely personal view, on the one hand it's great they are actively sprucing up the area and until more details come out on exactly what will be included in the re brand I will look at it positively. The boy will be 3 when we next go, so he'll have 2-3 years of actively being engaged in the content, and will also be tall enough/well behaved enough for some of the other content Alton has to offer in Mutiny Bay and CCL, although this has nothing to do with the re brand it's a plus for Alton on the whole.
The other hand is telling me he won't really care about CBeebies, he doesn't watch enough of the channel so won't be drawn to the re brand specifically. I also highly doubt there will be anything introduced which can't (relatively) be found closer to home.

I look forward to more details but I can't see it being something i'm willing to drive 2.5 hours for on a regular basis with him, will probably look at Gulliver's next year as a more regular haunt.
He will most likely enjoy Alton next year on the trips we do make though, I'm certainly looking forward to his reaction to the new area when we do go.

On the Dung Heap, little one loved the slide and tiny trampolines, the rest he didn't care for.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
MMF used to love the bugs and the magic mushroom. That mushroom was full of innuendo, it was filthy!

When he got older, he loved the zip wire too, but it was a poor offering, in a poor location generally. I'd rather "lazy IP" than a turd like that appear again.

TjChapperz

Mega Poster
Am I the only one to think are tv channels going to allow adverts for basically another tv channel? And surely the BBC arnt allowed to put adverts on for it?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It's all okay I think. It's like the Doctor Who thing they have in London, with Doctor Who toys and Doctor Who comics. They can sell their brands. Okay, they can't advertise the brands commercially on the BBC (so they can't have obvious ads for their range of Doctor Who toys for examples) during programming, but it's okay to sell off the TV.

So as long as they don't have "Visit CBeebies Land at Alton Towers" ads between programs, it's fine.

Robbie

Hyper Poster
G-force said:
Am I the only one to think are tv channels going to allow adverts for basically another tv channel? And surely the BBC arnt allowed to put adverts on for it?
TV channels already advertise other channels - for instance, Channel 4 have been running ads for their new Greg Davies sitcom on Dave channel this week, and Sky TV even went through a period of sponsoring ITV Dramas.

Under the Royal Charter the BBC aren't (theoretically) allowed to advertise tie-in products on their channels, but BBC Worldwide are free to do what they want on other channels. As it's a license it'll be mostly up to Alton Towers to do the advertising but there's nothing stopping endless plugs in BBC-licensed magazines.

Nic

Strata Poster
Could they get away with a tacky "other kids TV themed theme park lands are available" disclaimer on adverts the same way as they do when they plug the Radio Times? </half-joking>

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Relevant comment by a friend on Facebook...

"Seen as it's brought up, I'd also find it interesting to hear what people think Alton's overall theme is. It is pretty clear things like Sonic don't fit. I know they try to personify the park as Willy Wonka, but I don't think that works either. Their theme phrase 'Fantastical Escapism' is pretty bland too.

I always thought the phrase that summed up Alton was Gothic Wonderland. It's not the cartoony rainbow that Alton now uses for it's kiddie market (has anyone noticed Merlin only seem to be able to go for the infant market or the teen market - there's no family target in between?), but it is fantastic in a somewhat darkly magical way. Peter Rabbit, In the Hall of the Mountain King, the Towers, all that wonderfully unique nineties stuff."

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
From the looks of the plans, I thought we were getting the old sound-stage back like they had near the Hex area.. But now its apparent that its just gonna be used for some w*nk CBeebies type thing... Pft, you can keep your Bob The Builders... Gimmie the rock music, or even better, bring back the iceskating shows.

I'm actually really disappointed by this as the Farm is one of my favourite areas in Alton. Thats not even a lie either.. Its just such a nice atmosphere and its a shame thats its going to be spoilt.

Merlin has ruined the X Sector atmosphere with The Smiler, completely trashed Forbidden Valley with Sub Terra and to some extent, Air. They've messed up Toyland as well as Merrie England with the gimmicky pirate theme that just doesn't fit the area as they can't touch the listed buildings.. Now we have CBeebies, which will probably be some half-arsed attempt, as example of Madagascar at Chessington. I'm glad that they haven't touched Katanga Canyon, but thats gonna happen soon enough I reckon..

Alton Towers doesn't need to have big flash pink bold italic writing to make it look fun and appeal... Its not that type of park and Merlin have paid this park a lot of disrespect in my opinion..

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
Screaming Coasters said:
Merlin has ruined the X Sector atmosphere with The Smiler, completely trashed Forbidden Valley with Sub Terra and to some extent, Air.

I don't understand your viewpoint on this at all. X sector was dying, the whole area looks fresh again, and tbh X sector had no atmosphere to begin with. I'd argue the opposite and that that Smiler has finally given it one. It's the first time the area has music, and it makes an impressive thing to watch.

And what is your reasoning with Sub-terra ruining Forbidden Valley?! It's the first addition to the area that HASN'T ruined the theme, what exactly is it that you want? Merlin had nothing to do with Air in the first place so you can't blame them for that.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I thought everyone would be excited to hear updates on this.

River Bank Eye Spy is to become an "In the night garden" themed ride and Nina and the Neurons are confirmed as being an attraction.

On top of this, there's a "Something Special Sensory Garden" and "Mr Bloom's Allotment"

I can hardly contain my excitement!

marc

CF Legend
Re: Alton Towers | Farmyard Retheme to "CBeebies Land"

I've actually stopped following Alton and tower times now due to all the tweets and posts.

I don't know any of the shows and tbh I'm not interested at all.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
This will probably be the most popular addition at Towers for years though...

Enthusiasts might not be interested, but I'm sure people will be flocking to it regardlesss...

marc

CF Legend
Alton Towers | Farmyard Retheme to "CBeebies Land"

Yes your right but I'm not so for now I don't want the updates every few mins.

I'm just happy cf does not do what a lot of other sites do as it just leads to a delete.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Re: Alton Towers | Farmyard Retheme to

marc said:
Yes your right but I'm not so for now I don't want the updates every few mins.

Once every three months isn't too bad :p

Though... ;)

Squirrel Nutty is now to be the "Get, Set, Go Treetop Adventure" and most interestingly, Berry Bish Bash to "Justin's House: Pie-O-matic".

The latter is interesting as the Berry Bish Bash has been in an pretty poor state for quite some time - so I wonder if they'll actually make an effort to refurbish it, or just slap some stickers onto it and say "done"?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Just to help Marc get into the mood, here are some images for him :p

header-getsetgo.jpg

header-pieomatic.jpg

header-ninassciencelab.jpg

header-itng.jpg

header-mrbloom.jpg

header-somethingspecial.jpg

tks

Strata Poster
Re: Alton Towers | Farmyard Retheme to

marc said:
I've actually stopped following Alton and tower times now due to all the tweets and posts.

Ah yes, because you're the exact target market that Alton Towers will be aiming this re-theme at.

marc

CF Legend
Re: Alton Towers | Farmyard Retheme to "CBeebies Land"

tks said:
marc said:

Ah yes, because you're the exact target market that Alton Towers will be aiming this re-theme at.

Yep which is why I'm not interested in the updates.