What's new

Alton Towers Dungeon

Howie

Donkey in a hat
I have zero interest in trying this, not even once 'just to see how bad it is'. I know how bad it's gonna be already. It's gonna be awful. Truly, truly awful. But at least the social media backlash will be fun to watch.

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
I'm going to try it, but only because I bough the premium season pass this year that allows free entry into the Dungeon once per visit (like anyone would want to do it more than once!)
That's not why I bought the premium pass (that was because it allows free access on Scarefest days) but I may as well take a look sometime for a giggle. It is surely going to be absolutely pants. :D

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Has it not come to any of your minds that they perhaps haven't finished yet? The park doesn't open for another couple of weeks, they have time to finish the paintwork.

spicy

Giga Poster
My biggest issue is how they've made it look nothing like the Towers.

I get totally why they couldn't put it in the Towers. I can even get their logic for putting it in Charlie. But if you've got the Alton Towers Dungeons, and an area rich in real life history - which can of course be embellished a bit - why not take advantage of that and make it look like a far out ruins of the Towers themselves? It wouldn't have been that different in cost or effort, but would have felt infinitely better.

This.

On another note - has it been confirmed they are going to use some of Alton's real history in this? Or am I expecting way too much of Merlin there..

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Has it not come to any of your minds that they perhaps haven't finished yet? The park doesn't open for another couple of weeks, they have time to finish the paintwork.

What do you think they can do in two weeks that they haven't managed to do in the past few months? Do you think they can magically turn it around?

It might look a bit better, but not much.

Matt N

CF Legend
What do you think they can do in two weeks that they haven't managed to do in the past few months? Do you think they can magically turn it around?

It might look a bit better, but not much.
They could very well cover up the remainder of the Charlie facade and add some more detailing to the exterior in 2 weeks, I suppose.

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
I'm going to try it, but only because I bough the premium season pass this year that allows free entry into the Dungeon once per visit (like anyone would want to do it more than once!)
That's not why I bought the premium pass (that was because it allows free access on Scarefest days) but I may as well take a look sometime for a giggle. It is surely going to be absolutely pants. :D
Pretty sure I read it's not free for MAP holders. Can anyone clarify?

Not that I've got one, that's £130 can get return flights to Liseberg and Phantasialand!

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
Pretty sure I read it's not free for MAP holders. Can anyone clarify?

Not that I've got one, that's £130 can get return flights to Liseberg and Phantasialand!

Your right, it isn’t free for MAP holders, he’s talking about the Premium Alton Towers pass.

The park have confirmed that the exterior isn’t finished and that the rest of the building will be covered so nothing from Charlie is on show. I’m guessing they will just cover the rest of the building with that wooden fence.

The whole thing just looks pretty tragic....

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
That wooden panelling would look much better than the tins of grey paint I suspect are on their way.

rideguy70

Mega Poster
This.

On another note - has it been confirmed they are going to use some of Alton's real history in this? Or am I expecting way too much of Merlin there..

I don't know about this installation, but they do incorporate local history into their San Fransisco version.

Lofty

CF Legend
Most Dungeons have cookie-cutter scenes that are slightly tailored to the location in the scripting, costuming and performance. It will definitely have Staffordshire specific scenes, but I don't know about Alton specificially. Look at Blackpool Tower Dungeons, it has a scene about the Pendle Witches which is over 30 miles away.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Pretty much the only Dungeons which massively varies (to my knowledge) is the Shanghai Dungeon, which doesn't include any of the ridicule scenes (like the judge) and doesn't make reference to blood or gore. That's due to Chinese culture and how they react basically.

It seems like the most intriguing Dungeons out there now I'd say, especially with the finale being
a scene where you're locked in individual cages and the floor drops you a bit
. I'd have loved to have seen that in this one.

Scott88

Hyper Poster
I was invited to the meet the makers press event by Alton Towers on Tuesday 12th March 2019 and was able to film in some of the Alton Towers Dungeon scenes, including some of the actor scenes! During the press event everyone got to hear from two of the lead people involved with the project, my video contains spoilers, but does not contain the full experience.