What's new

Accident at Lightwater Valley

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
Death of a 20 year old female, back in 2001.
I was wondering about Twister’s safety record as well. If this is indeed getting removed, I do hope Lightwater Valley will use the concrete pad for something more unique and/or thrilling...

For reference:
Twister’s footprint —62.3ft x 137.8ft
Wonder Woman/RailBlazer’s footprint — 75ft x 250ft
Vekoma Boomerang’s footprint — 98.4ft x 288.8ft
Maurer Spinning Coaster SC2000 (Undertow, Phoenix, Whirlwind, Steel Dragon, Laff Trakk, etc.) — 76ft x 138ft

Out of these four candidates, I’d expect Twister’s replacement (if there is one) to be a Maurer Spinning Coaster SC2000. They don’t require footers and can be built only on a base frame (This is how Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk was able to build Undertow on the roof of their children’s rides pavilion, without demolishing the area underneath the coaster), reducing construction costs. Plus, the concrete pad Twister uses could very easily be expanded to save more money. If they did go with this, though, I’d imagine the general public would see this ride as a mere re-do of Twister rather than the entirely new coaster that it would be.

Peet

Giga Poster
^ None of those are happening because the park has no money, which is pretty evident when you visit or look at their recent (lack of) investments. I really hope they come through this as it would be an absolute travesty to lose The Ultimate because of some accidents on a :emoji_poop:y Reverchon spinner.

Thoughts are with the victim and his family of course.

peep

CF Legend
Hope the kid is alright. Not great for a park that already feels like its struggling.

Someone on reddit commented that they went the other day and was informed by the ride op that the seatbelt is optional. I feel like I've seen that rule implemented elsewhere, maybe there for when kids ride?

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
I was told to wear it on my visit last year as an adult, I didn't know they let you ride without at all. These things do tend to throw you about a bit.

I was told to wear it on my visit last year as an adult, I didn't know they let you ride without at all. These things do tend to throw you about a bit.
Does the 2nd Generation Reverchon Spinner have the same restraints cause maybe if Twister goes, they'll replace it with a newer gen model to help safety and the ride experience

Smithy

Strata Poster
Yeah lads, ****ing hell. Let's not start scoping out potential replacements just yet.

Always thought this ride was questionable at best, rough as **** and one of the worst I've ridden. Wouldn't be surprised if there's some sort of restraint issue involved, but that said there's also reports of him "hanging from the back of the cart" - rider error as much as ride error?

Scum taking pictures, bigger scum cashing in on them.

MakoMania

Mega Poster
I hope he can pull through. Always awful when stuff like this happens, nobody should have to risk the possibility of being severely injured at a modern day theme park.

Matthew Fair

Mega Poster
They are talking roller-coaster safety now on the Jeremy Vine show on BBC Radio 2, lets see how much of a mess they will make of it

Last edited:
If the boy dies isn't it almost a guarantee that the park will go under?
Yh that's true. The injuries however aren't life threatening according to reports so it's not serious thankfully for the boy and his family. I do think that Twister needs to be removed. Skate Karts hasn't had injuries from what I know and they removed it for health and safety. Twister's 2nd incident now...open your eyes Lightwater Valley!!

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Yh that's true. The injuries however aren't life threatening according to reports so it's not serious thankfully for the boy and his family. I do think that Twister needs to be removed. Skate Karts hasn't had injuries from what I know and they removed it for health and safety. Twister's 2nd incident now...open your eyes Lightwater Valley!!
Did you completely miss @spicy's post? NGL but I'm pretty sure a critical condition means life threatening.

Leon

Roller Poster
If the boy dies isn't it almost a guarantee that the park will go under?
why would you want that to happen ? Lightwater valley a gem of a park the ultimate amazing it would be a very sad day to lose such a unique and amazing ride lets just hope this poor boy makes a full recovery and hope Lightwater valley can recover from this .

WhollyRudeTech

Roller Poster
why would you want that to happen ? Lightwater valley a gem of a park the ultimate amazing it would be a very sad day to lose such a unique and amazing ride lets just hope this poor boy makes a full recovery and hope Lightwater valley can recover from this .

To be fair I don’t think they said they wanted it to happen, just asking if it’s a possibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro