What's new

48÷2(9+3)=

Pierre

Strata Poster
2 or 288?

Taken this from a football forum I visit and its turned into a proper lengthy discussion...

Even calculators are giving inconsistent answers.

Mushroom

Goon of the Year
Its 288

Basically it is 48 divided by 2 then multiply by the sum of 9 and 3 (which is 12). So 48 / 2 X 12 Simples =]

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
The problem is with how it's written. It is actually right either way.

Taking it to be (48÷2)(9+3), and using BODMAS:

(48÷2)(9+3)= [brackets]
24*12= [multiplication]

Taking it to be 48÷(2(9+3)), and using BODMAS:

48÷(2(12))= [brackets i]
48÷24= [brackets ii]
=2

So actually neither is wrong. ;) It's not really a fully specified question, I don't think. I think technically a mathematician (which I'm not) would say that the question has two solutions, and would be to be defined more clearly.

kir

Hyper Poster
Pierre darling, I think the football lout in you is a bit more easily pleased than your coaster lout! :p

Ben

CF Legend
There's no brackets around the first part, it's 2.

Why would people make up brackets...?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Again, you've got to do BODMAS...

48÷2(9+3) = 48÷2*12 = 24*12 = 288

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
^Technically the brackets don't instantly vanish after you sum 9 and 3, so you still have the 12 in them so it has to be multiplied out first...

But this is something that really comes down to how people were taught and learnt maths...

Ben

CF Legend
^Yeah, the brackets mean you times the 2 and 12 together before doing anything else...

That IS using BODMAS... You know... the B in BODMAS...?

jokerman

Giga Poster
^^No, the B in BODMAS (or BIDMAS as I use) actually only applies to the addition inside it. I'm with Hixee on this, it has two solutions.

Ben

CF Legend
Try writing it properly as 48/2(9+3), because is ÷ EVER actually used, then tell me how you'd solve it.

If it was written like an actual mathmatical problem would be, and not deliberatley misleading, then it does have one solution.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^OK.

48/2(9+3) = 48/2*12 = 24*12 = 288
48/2(9+3) = 48/2*12 = 48/12 = 2

Both options still work. Like I said before, an extra set of brackets are needed to clarify the problem.

Ben

CF Legend
^That's cause you're American...

Hixee said:
^OK.

48/2(9+3) = 48/2*12 = 24*12 = 288
48/2(9+3) = 48/2*12 = 48/12 = 2

Both options still work. Like I said before, an extra set of brackets are needed to clarify the problem.

No, because that's not what I meant by it being written as an actual mathmatical problem would be.

The way it's writtens suggests it would be written out as

----------
2(9+3)

Which would work out as 2.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Yes, that would, but like I said, it depends where you put a set of brackets.

You want to put the extra brackets around the 2(9+3), so you get:

--------- = 2
2(9+3)

I'm saying you'd be just as entitled to put the brackets around the 48/2, to get:

--- x (9+3) = 288

I'll say it again, I don't think there is anything wrong with either solution. They're both right.