What's new

CWOA | Mandrill Mayhem (World of Jumanji) | B&M Wing Coaster | 2023

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
That's just so bizarre and utterly cursed, but nevertheless I'm completely intrigued! Bet they try and advertise it as a world's first or something...

Is there any chance this could be the first installation of the much anticipated surf coaster? I know it's definitely going to be winged, but could the surf coaster just be a shuttle launched wing with a few extra bells and whistles somewhere? Might explain the wacky layout...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

emoo

Hyper Poster
It could of course be the other way around and this is a experimental ride on offer. Or as they are likely in regular contact, what with them owning other B&M firsts, the idea formed between the two companies.

But perhaps Chessie really just wanted a wing zero-G-roll to float over the sign.

Who can say?

But this is so silly I love it. Didn't believe a word of the rumours leaving me baffled and happy. Launch or boomerang?

peep

CF Legend
Sorry if I somehow didn't see it mentioned already but just going through the reports and saw in the noise assessment the following timeline:

"It is understood that the construction works for the development of the proposed ride will commence in October 2021 and complete in December 2022, with anticipated opening date of March 2023."

Overall so far I'm not a fan of it, Chessington desperately need a high capacity attraction and this isn't it. I guess time will tell.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Sorry if I somehow didn't see it mentioned already but just going through the reports and saw in the noise assessment the following timeline:

"It is understood that the construction works for the development of the proposed ride will commence in October 2021 and complete in December 2022, with anticipated opening date of March 2023."

Overall so far I'm not a fan of it, Chessington desperately need a high capacity attraction and this isn't it. I guess time will tell.
It'll probably do 900 - 1000 an hour.

Defo Dragons Fury type numbers I'd imagine.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend

Unfortunately I imagine it would be less than that. If we assume the coaster will average a 60 second ride length and 120s to unload and load (which lets be honest is more realistic than what Matt stated because it's Merlin), then that would end up being one train every 180s or 20 trains dispatched an hour, which honestly is probably best case scenario. Assuming it will have a single 28-passenger train like the design suggests, that works out at 580 riders per hour. Ouch.

toofpikk

Mega Poster

Dragons Fury? 1000pph?

source.gif

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
The planning application stated 720pph as the ride’s theoretical throughput, with the ride having a 1 minute ride duration and a 1 minute load/unload time.
Oh, I must have missed that part, appreciate your bringing that to my attention... Still, 720, it's not too, too terrible.

Dragons Fury? 1000pph?

source.gif

Yeah, Dragons Fury does around 900 - 950 theoretical. I've hosted / operated it and we exceeded that number many times and got into the thousand.

Matt N

CF Legend
Oh, I must have missed that part, appreciate your bringing that to my attention... Still, 720, it's not too, too terrible.
I agree; from what I’ve heard, that would be one of the higher ride throughputs at Chessington!

@CrashCoaster I reckon load/unload times could be well under 2 minutes, even in practice; probably closer to 1. I once saw an operations video where Swarm was unloaded & loaded again in only just over a minute, and that ride has one row more than this one will, so if Thorpe can do it, why can’t Chessington? Merlin’s usual policy of installing baggage holds on new coasters should also help hugely with throughputs; guests have already dealt with their baggage by the time they reach the station, so there’s far less faff involved!

Last edited:

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
And let's not forget that just because a coaster is given a theoretical throughput capacity, doesn't mean it can't be exceeded. Chessington are actually pretty good with their throughputs, although these days their heavy (sometimes stupid) rules can get in the way of efficiency.

Matt N

CF Legend
And let's not forget that just because a coaster is given a theoretical throughput capacity, doesn't mean it can't be exceeded. Chessington are actually pretty good with their throughputs, although these days their heavy (sometimes stupid) rules get in the way of efficiency.
True; for instance, Thirteen’s theoretical throughput is merely 1,100pph according to Intamin, but the ride apparently hit 1,260pph in its first hour, and hit heights of as high as 1,440pph during its opening year! Another B&M coaster, Silver Star at EP, has a theoretical throughput of 1,750pph, but I seem to remember someone (@Hixee, I think?) saying that they saw it hit 2,100pph, with dispatches of 36 going nearly every 60 seconds!

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
This is such a BIZARRE piece of news. I don't wanna say I "hate" the look it, but I'm certainly more morbidly curious than excited by it. A B&M... wing shuttle... at Chessington??? It's just so odd.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Another B&M coaster, Silver Star at EP, has a theoretical throughput of 1,750pph, but I seem to remember someone (@Hixee, I think?) saying that they saw it hit 2,100pph, with dispatches of 36 going nearly every 60 seconds!
You can't bring EP into this, really. They don't operate their coasters in the same league as most other parks - especially not Merlin.

I don't recall ever calculating the numbers, but I've seen them several times consistently have trains stuck in the station waiting for the train for the train in front to clear the lift hill. Then again, I've never EVER seen a coaster operated as well as that.

Matt N

CF Legend
You can't bring EP into this, really. They don't operate their coasters in the same league as most other parks - especially not Merlin.

I don't recall ever calculating the numbers, but I've seen them several times consistently have trains stuck in the station waiting for the train for the train in front to clear the lift hill. Then again, I've never EVER seen a coaster operated as well as that.
That’s a fair point; knowing EP, they’d probably have this thing unloaded, loaded & dispatched in about 30 seconds!

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Swarm was unloaded & loaded again in only just over a minute, and that ride has one row more than this one will
No it has trains the same length as Swarm. The concept art showed 6 rows but the actual station plans show 7.

Also on the topic of Silver Star, that thing seriously needs a 4th train, cause Europa's dispatched are too good for it's three-trains max.

Jared

Hyper Poster
You must have dodgy eyes mate. Count the purple arrows.
Taken directly from the planning application's noise impact assessment:

The proposed ride will take 24 guests, seated in 6 cars, travelling up to the highest point of the attraction. There the ride terminates and lets gravity take the car back the same route until it reaches the station. The ride profile will be an approximate 1 minute ride period and a 1 minute turn around period. It is understood that a maximum of 24 guests will ride the attraction at any one time.
The example Project X has 7 vehicles x 4 passengers on each train. This can accommodate up to 28 people at a single ride. Project Amazon on the other hand can only accommodate 24 guests at every ride. The lower number indicates that noise from screams will be slightly reduced compared to the reference data.