What's new

Cedar Point | The Boardwalk | Wild Mouse and Ride Relocation | 2023

bmac

Giga Poster
How long until WindSeeker gets removed....
More likely than Wicked Twister getting relocated, imo.

I don't give the Windseekers much longer, all it's gonna take is a 5 hour unload from the air with those things and the insurance companies will probably freak out about it.

Intamin Forever

Mega Poster
Some rumours are suggesting that Cedar Point will be announcing their 2022 additions on National Roller Coaster Day ( 16th August ).

These are just rumours however in the past Tony Clark has said that there will be a large attraction as part of their 2 year celebration so this could be a possible roller coaster.

Steely Dan

Mega Poster
Going back to 1980, this will only be the 4th coaster removed from CP (or 3rd if you don't consider the Mean Streak -> Steel Vengeance transformation to be a true removal).

- Wildcat's removal in 2011 did not lead to a direct coaster replacement.

- Disaster Transport's removal in 2012 cleared the way for Gatekeeper in 2013.

- And of course the aforementioned RMC'ing of Mean Streak from 2016 - 2018.

My gut tells me that WT's departure will lead to a coaster replacement, but I could certainly be wrong.

Last edited:

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Going back to 1980, this will only be the 4th coaster removed from CP (or 3rd if you don't consider the Mean Streak -> Steel Vengeance transformation to be a true removal).

- Wildcat's removal in 2011 did not lead to a direct coaster replacement.

- Disaster Transport's removal in 2012 cleared the way for Gatekeeper in 2013.

- And of course the aforementioned RMC'ing of Mean Streak from 2016 - 2018.

My gut tells me that WT's departure will lead to a coaster replacement, but I could certainly be wrong.
How likely would Cedar Point be to remain competitive for the title of most coasters in a park? With a current count of 17 coasters, they're tying a third place between SFMM (19) and Energylandia (18). I doubt they're likely to replace Wicked Twister with four new coasters to take the title, but they could still be hesitant to reduce their coaster numbers by removing a coaster without replacing it. I mean, for marketing purposes it could be important for them to stay near the top of the list even if they don't top it.

And if we're allowed to speculate on what will replace it, I daresay a coaster is fairly likely. With the removal of Wicked Twister, the stadium, and a tower ride in the area, they have cleared a quite long and thin piece of land. Perfect for a coaster with a compact footprint, not very useful for most other things.

I wonder if they will finally go for something outside of the white-knuckle thrill category, though. The last time they built something RCDB doesn't classify as "Extreme" was Woodstock Express in 1999, and before that it was Iron Dragon in 1987. Their most recent coaster that doesn't feature an inversion is Top Thrill Dragster from 2003. A coaster like Ice Breaker would be a nice stepping stone between their family-sized coasters and the big thrill machines. As Woodstock Express is a lowly family coaster, Cedar Point's most recent coaster in the "stepping stone"/"little thrill" category is more than thirty years old, and the three others in the park are even older. I would say that's the weakest aspect of the park's current coaster lineup at the moment, and where it would be logical to put in some resources. Not only are the current Thrill coasters old enough that spare parts might become an issue (although at least some of them might have crossed the treshold between "old and rickety" and "historic" so the park may put in the required effort to preserve them), but a lot has also happened on the development front of such coasters since the late 1980's. Not to mention the lack of any aparent holes in the extreme coaster lineup. If Cedar Point went for such a coaster, what could they reasonably go for?

RcTmix

Mega Poster
^The idea of a modern, high quality family coaster does seem like a good possibility. The park has really been making an effort to market themselves as a place for the whole family, and this would continue with that trend. On top of that Disaster Transport and Wildcat were both more family friendly coasters, so their lineup in that area is thinner than it used to be.

I'll miss Wicked Twister though. Even though it gets overshadowed by the rest of the lineup I've always quite enjoyed it.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Windseeker is not gonna leave lol, they only added it nine years ago I believe
Means nothing, Cedar Fair has removed rides younger than that, Cedar Point itself has too. Its down, a lot, due to high winds on the lake.... It doesn't seem overly well received by park guests, and moving it out, opens more room in the Wicked Twister midway area, for a larger ride......when the time comes.

bmac

Giga Poster
Means nothing, Cedar Fair has removed rides younger than that, Cedar Point itself has too. Its down, a lot, due to high winds on the lake.... It doesn't seem overly well received by park guests, and moving it out, opens more room in the Wicked Twister midway area, for a larger ride......when the time comes.

They already have a good bit of space from the removal of the stadium that was between both Windseeker and Wicked Twister. Approximately 83,000 square feet without interfering with other rides. Removing Windseeker would be a bonus for me, tbh.

cookie

Giga Poster
I wonder if they will finally go for something outside of the white-knuckle thrill category, though. The last time they built something RCDB doesn't classify as "Extreme" was Woodstock Express in 1999, and before that it was Iron Dragon in 1987. Their most recent coaster that doesn't feature an inversion is Top Thrill Dragster from 2003. A coaster like Ice Breaker would be a nice stepping stone between their family-sized coasters and the big thrill machines. As Woodstock Express is a lowly family coaster, Cedar Point's most recent coaster in the "stepping stone"/"little thrill" category is more than thirty years old, and the three others in the park are even older. I would say that's the weakest aspect of the park's current coaster lineup at the moment, and where it would be logical to put in some resources. Not only are the current Thrill coasters old enough that spare parts might become an issue (although at least some of them might have crossed the treshold between "old and rickety" and "historic" so the park may put in the required effort to preserve them), but a lot has also happened on the development front of such coasters since the late 1980's. Not to mention the lack of any aparent holes in the extreme coaster lineup. If Cedar Point went for such a coaster, what could they reasonably go for?
I'd be all for squeezing in a Gerstlauer launched family coaster in that spot. Pégase Express is fab.

codeman94

Mega Poster
I agree that the park desperately needs a high quality family coaster— and this location would work. Right near a family section of the park. Something like Dragonflyer at Dollywood.

But- that’s not gonna make many headlines. And the Dragonflyer capacity is awful.

I always thought Wicked Twister was “safe” from being removed because of its small footprint.

RcTmix

Mega Poster
I always thought Wicked Twister was “safe” from being removed because of its small footprint.

I wonder if it has to do with the cost of maintenance and day-to-day operations. I would imagine LIMs from 2002 might be pretty costly to maintain.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I wonder if it has to do with the cost of maintenance and day-to-day operations. I would imagine LIMs from 2002 might be pretty costly to maintain.
FWIW, Wicked Twister is only the second Impulse to be removed (assuming it’s not up for a relocation); that being said, if it is to be truly removed, Cedar Fair would simply use parts as spares for Valleyfair and Dorney Park.

Definitely bummed to see WT go; makes you feel old to see a coaster both come and go in vivid memory. As for what replaces it? Lord only knows. We’ve been holding out for that Beachside GCI Woodie for years, to no avail. I looked to Knott’s boardwalk section as some inspiration for how a lake view expansion could look, expanding the area to have a continued “boardwalk” feel between the remaining rides (the plot formerly occupied by the Oceania Stadium has been meant to be used for larger concert venue, for instance). Essentially, it could be a way to “seal the deal” between Windseeker and Gatekeeper’s vista opening vibes (versus the enclosed feeling of the old Midway when Disaster Transport dominated).

Matt N

CF Legend
I wasn't even born then...
Neither was I, as a matter of fact!

Interesting aside; on the topic of Cedar Point, I was actually born in the year Top Thrill Dragster opened, so me and TTD are roughly the same age! Well, TTD is nearly 3 months older than me, but it was still built in 2003 just as I was born in 2003!

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Neither was I, as a matter of fact!

Interesting aside; on the topic of Cedar Point, I was actually born in the year Top Thrill Dragster opened, so me and TTD are roughly the same age! Well, TTD is nearly 3 months older than me, but it was still built in 2003 just as I was born in 2003!
I mean I was born in 2002 but I was born in September, after the coaster opened. I'm actually in the same academic year as you.

Last edited:

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I mean I was born in 2002 but I was born in September, after the coaster opened.
lonely-island-still-counts.gif

If I were to do an off-the-cuff "list" of Wicked Twister rides/options I'd see as doable/in the interest of the park, in no particular order (or permutations):
  • "Cedar Point Boardwalk" - General retheme of the area with a Boardwalk/beach-side theme, leaning into the area being the end of the Cedar Point Beach (which has been a big focus of park development over the last 5 years).
  • Addition of Family Flats - Could be a continued congregation of flats from around the park, or buying an additional one or two new Zamperla flats, etc.
  • Roller Coasters! (I mean, what more would you want :p )
    • Gerstlauer Wild Mouse
    • S&S Freespin
    • Maybe that elusive GCI Woodie? One can dream.

RcTmix

Mega Poster
I agree Cedar Point Boardwalk seems like a quite likely option from a marketing standpoint as well. My enthusiast goggles see the size of the plot of land from Wicked Twister, the stadium, the giant wheel, MaxAir, and maybe even part of Kiddie Kingdom and I think "500 foot Trex!!!" But that seems like it's mostly a pipedream.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I know @bmac will disagree with me, but Cedar Point already has a boardwalk. It runs along the beach from the front parking lot next to Gatekeeper's drop all the way back to the Magnum entrance. It simply doesn't look like the boardwalk anybody has pictured in their heads with actual boards under your feet and shops and stalls along the way. And don't shoot the messenger...I'm not claiming it looks good or anything...but it exists.

Lots of variables at play with this announcement. I personally don't think Wicked Twister will be relocated - if a park like Cedar Point doesn't want to pay the maintenance and operating costs for this ride, why would it get relocated somewhere that draws much less revenue...but we've seen dumber decisions made in this industry so who knows what'll happen. As for what will replace it...that's an even bigger head scratcher. I can tell you what the park needs, or what they should add, but I don't work at the park and I don't call the shots. I can say with confidence that it will NOT be a T-rex (unless the plot of land sits empty for a few years) - RMC can hardly get their second generation raptors working properly (which is supposed to be much more in line with what T-rex should be once RMC scales up), so T-rex isn't even an option in the moment.

Kk16Ow9.jpg

the-boardwalk-on-lake.jpg

bmac

Giga Poster
I will only consider that a boardwalk if Cedar Point at the bare minimum adds some sort of bar / restaurant on it.

But yeah we went through this on the discord. I'm hoping Cedar Point does something with it.