What's new

Small News From The Theme Park Industry

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
According to Screamscape (posted 24/02/2020), Selva Magica in Mexico has closed 2 rides: https://www.screamscape.com/html/world_news.htm#Mexico.

This includes Tornado, a Schwarzkopf Jet Star III. What I’d like to know is if anyone knows what has / will happen to it? Is it being scrapped or sold on?

EDIT: Also, slightly older news, a few years ago, Salitre Magico, a park in Columbia, closed their Schwarzkopf Jet Star III (previously Alton Towers' Beast), also known as Tornado. Also, I'm interested in the whereabouts of the Vekoma Corkscrews that were at La Ronde, Genting and Holiday Park. Does anyone know about what's happened to these rides? Thanks everyone!

The one in Salitre had some bad structural issues, stress fractures and the like. However I belive it was taken down and stored rather than sent to the scrap yard.

On the Selva Magica one I have no idea at the moment. Have some friends down that way I'll see if they know anything.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
The one in Salitre had some bad structural issues, stress fractures and the like. However I belive it was taken down and stored rather than sent to the scrap yard.

On the Selva Magica one I have no idea at the moment. Have some friends down that way I'll see if they know anything.

May not be relevant here but did notice a Schwarzkopf City Jet get listed for sale the other day:

Catmaydo

Roller Poster
It's a shame that Super Manège got scrapped. As Dreamland is / was meant to be a heritage theme park, some of these older rides could've gone there.
It's really not...it was pretty bad and uncomfortable. I get that some coasters should be preserved as unique, or interesting examples of their type for posterity, but Super Manège ain't it.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
Article on Loopings about Lost Gravity going backwards. They apparently tested this in May last year (see video - I didn't see it at the time even though I keep up with Loopings usually) but Walibi Holland's company director doesn't want to pay Mack fully to install this and expects them in fact to part pay for this as she sees it as a sort of test for their other coasters.

Might make the ride a bit better I guess as I was a bit disappointed with it after the hype I heard. Having the option to go backwards or forwards would probably be best if it does happen.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
In the video they've only turned the back row round - how curious.

I do like that Mack are willing to test these sorts of things though.

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
In the video they've only turned the back row round - how curious.

I do like that Mack are willing to test these sorts of things though.
I think that setup on all trains would be the best setup for optimum visibility and re-ride-ability.
Even if it doesn't get converted right now due to cost (if the park don't want to spend money on it) at least it looks like the option is there for the future to breathe new life into this ride in some years from now.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I think that setup on all trains would be the best setup for optimum visibility and re-ride-ability.
Even if it doesn't get converted right now due to cost (if the park don't want to spend money on it) at least it looks like the option is there for the future to breathe new life into this ride in some years from now.
Or indeed as we saw with the spinning trains on Blue Fire, this could be a test for Mack to offer something like this on any new BigDippers they sell.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
The test back in May was only on one car and one row simply because it was a test. They wanted to see how it would ride. I imagine in theory changing the front row, from an engineering perspective at least, is no different to changing the back row.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Alton Towers are planning... wait for it...
A new car park.
Cos yeah, that's the first thing that struck me about the place at the weekend. "This place is awesome" I thought, "almost perfect, but what it really needs more than anything is a new car park".
It's like they read my mind.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I mean, it makes sense. They need that space during Scarefest and Fireworks, which is when the fields are prone to flooding the most too.

There's also be long term murmurs about the Galactica car park being transformed into being used for the park / resort. A new coaster / expanded resort offering (in particular, a more complete Dungeons experience) have long been thought to be considered for there.

Get a new car park in, and it makes it easy to justify getting rid of that car parking space.