What's new

Interesting New S&S Concept At Factory.

cocoa

Mega Poster
so is it free swinging? It doesn't look to me like it does anything that you couldn't already do with banked/twisted track, which isn't necessarily bad. Just maybe less 'exciting' than all the ways you could really mess with the ride experience in say a 4D coaster.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
so is it free swinging? It doesn't look to me like it does anything that you couldn't already do with banked/twisted track, which isn't necessarily bad. Just maybe less 'exciting' than all the ways you could really mess with the ride experience in say a 4D coaster.
It's free swinging, but you can see some of the turns are biased to create a 360 flip. Let's hear it for Physics! You can see the prototype in action to get a sense of how they are encouraging flips (back to the previous page)

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
The Axis Coaster is now on S&S's website:-

The stats for the prototype layout we have seen goes as follows:-
  • Track length:- 2,040ft (622m)
  • Height:- 115ft (33.2m)
  • Footprint:- 397ft x 135ft (121m x 41m)
  • Number of trains:- 3
  • Passengers per train:- 12
  • THRC:- 1,000 passengers per hour
  • Ride time:- 78 seconds
  • Load/Unload time:- 40 seconds
  • Max speed:- 53mph (85kph)
  • Max g-force:- 3.5
  • Minimum rider height:- 48" (122cm)
I'm surprised it can run 3 trains with that layout tbh. Also, it's worth looking at the PDF file. The elements have some very strange names.

Last edited:

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I have been wondering, how are they going to prevent the cars from swaying in the station? Will the cars contain some kind of locking/leveling mechanism inside of them?

oriolat2

Giga Poster
I have been wondering, how are they going to prevent the cars from swaying in the station? Will the cars contain some kind of locking/leveling mechanism inside of them?
The same way they are going to have seats locked all the way up the lift hill until they reach the apex when cars are inverted to free them before the main drop. I think it's quite clever to do it, as you can dispatch trains with locked seats and having a vertical lift with an inversion at the end (like Maurer's SkyLoop) just gives this edge of excitement.

I am really looking forward to seeing what Six Flags park buys one first.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
This is such an innovative design. I am also intrigued on who will bite first and build one and what it's like to ride. There's so much potential to have a ride with layouts that are even more technical than the crazier wing coasters out there.

It's always seemed like S&S has been way ahead of the times - even with their compressed air launches. I hope their business picks up soon because they really have some exciting products.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Is it me or are the cars on this very different to the cars from the very first post in this topic? I swear looking at those cars they look like they roll forwards and back where as the cars announced roll side to side? Maybe it's just the poor image on the first post.

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
^It certainly does now that you point it out, but it's just the angle. Makes it look like the side guard is where the point of rotation is.

VikingsAf

Mega Poster
Is it me or are the cars on this very different to the cars from the very first post in this topic? I swear looking at those cars they look like they roll forwards and back where as the cars announced roll side to side? Maybe it's just the poor image on the first post.
^It certainly does now that you point it out, but it's just the angle. Makes it look like the side guard is where the point of rotation is.
The one in the first post was an old concept :) OP was just referring to it as 'it looks like a follow up from this'