What's new

Volcano removal and possible replacement?

Pear

Strata Poster
Some more demolition

image0.jpg

Last edited:

train_hollows

Roller Poster
It’s kind of sad to see the mountain itself also gone (sentiments about the ride being a separate thing) - considering it’s been such a staple landmark at the park for so long.
Whatever they end up replacing Volcano with, I would love to see some reference to the original mountain.

Snoo

The Legend
It’s kind of sad to see the mountain itself also gone (sentiments about the ride being a separate thing) - considering it’s been such a staple landmark at the park for so long.
Whatever they end up replacing Volcano with, I would love to see some reference to the original mountain.

I have a feeling they will pull a homage in some capacity to Volcano. They can tell the fan outrage has been impactful, albeit dumb, so they will do something.

Matt N

CF Legend
I must admit it is quite sad seeing such a unique coaster demolished, but I have a question regarding its replacement; could we potentially be seeing it in 2020 or 2021, or have KD only demolished the ride in order to make the area more presentable, so to speak?

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
I must admit it is quite sad seeing such a unique coaster demolished, but I have a question regarding its replacement; could we potentially be seeing it in 2020 or 2021, or have KD only demolished the ride in order to make the area more presentable, so to speak?
I would assume this was more of a maintenance-based decision, rather than a planning-based one. However, I am pretty sure that Kings Dominion has been actively deciding on what will replace this beloved coaster; but unfortunately, we probably won’t see Volcano’s replacement until 2022 at the absolute earliest. Roller coasters take several years to plan (especially if they aren’t a clone), as many different things have to align for one to go through. Planning permission, ground stability testing, finding the right manufacturer at the right budget, designing the coaster’s layout, coming up with a theme, along with many, many more enduring tasks all need to be complete before the coaster breaks ground. Apparently, Ravine Flyer II at Waldameer had been in planning since the 1990s; but due to local restrictions and CCI’s dissolvement, its opening was delayed until 2009.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
^That assumes they hadn't started planning before Volcano was torn down, however. They might have initiated that process as early as 2016-17, when it became clear the coaster couldn't operate for many more years. When a coaster shows signs of impending failure, it would be stupid not to start planning for its eventual demise and replacement. For all we know, the behind-the-scenes process might have been well underway for years before they started removing the coaster.

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
I thought they had planned on Volcano having a longer lifespan than it actually did? I remember its frequent downtime in 2017 (Because of that, it was the second ride I did at Kings Dominion after Dominator during my only visit in August 2017), and heard that Volcano last operated in April 2018. You are most likely right, though — I’d imagine Kings Dominion has multiple pitches available for their next major coaster, with Volcano’s plot being a potential (and now, the single most likely) location for it.

Pear

Strata Poster
Oh boy here we go

Seems that Volcano could possibly be replaced with a wing coaster. While this could still be false, a wing would still be a pretty good addition to KD. Not really a fan of the layout though.

1572996469663.png

Last edited:

Magic-Man

Mega Poster
Oh boy here we go

Seems that Volcano could possibly be replaced with a wing coaster. While this could still be false, a wing would still be a pretty good addition to KD. Not really a fan of the layout though.

View attachment 7022

The coaster looks good, but not great. A little too short (why on earth would they cut the loop from Hot-Go if this was supposed to be a clone?!), but the good thing is that Volcano is being replaced sooner than everyone thought it would be.

EDIT: Also, note that they say that the plans might not be finalized yet. Please KD, add the loop and helix back in.

EDIT 2: This doesn't appear to be the only thing going into the park in 2021, judging by how large the plaza is. This could be an small expansion land.

Last edited: