What's new

If you could bring a ride to its original form...

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Sorry if there is a similar topic (which I haven't thoroughly checked anyway lol) but which rides do you, because of nostalgia, for example, wish they were brought back to their original form?

Maybe you miss a couple of special effects that don't work anymore, or maybe the ride has suffered some track modifications that have altered the ultimate ride experience, or maybe it's the overall themeing that's been replaced by some modern crap you wish you could burn. What is it you miss the most about some of these rides?

I have three contenders for this:
- Tutuki Splash: the Intamin shoot-the-chutes looked really imposing and sounded scary to riders and non-riders. Back in 1995, the volcano crater was filled with red water to simulate erupting lava. That effect was achieved by a piping system that is still visible from the turn leading to the main drop. As for the sound, there were really loud speakers that would echo through the park every now and then blasting the sound of an erupting volcano. It almost sounded as rolling thunder. These effects eventually fell in disrepair never to be fixed again (not even by Universal).

- Space Mountain (Paris): besides the exterior, I would pay SO much money for Disney to replace the crappy Star Wars theme to the original De la Terre à la Lune version. Maybe what I miss the most about that version is the soundtrack. It almost felt like a piece of music that John Williams would have created himself. I have yet to find a single piece of music in Disney history that matches De la Terre à la Lune's in terms of grandeur mixed with simplicity. It just worked with the ride so well it's a shame what they have done to the ride. Comparing videos of the new version to the old version, now it's basically a dark (and I mean pitch black) coaster.

- Dragon Khan: although it's not heavily trimmed. The MCBRs certainly kick in when the trains used to fly by giving a sensational and aggressive second half. Don't get me wrong: the second half is still good, but without trimming the drop off the MCBR felt like a whip and the snap of the inversions was more noticeable. On a side note: I also liked how each train had its own unique colour pattern (green, blue and purple trains), all fitted with lights on the side that would be turned on at night giving the illusion of a firebolt twirling in the sky. I recall seeing those lighting features ca. 2000.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Boulder Dash

Well, I don't know what it was like when it first opened, but have it revert back to the way it was a few years ago. I used to keep my hands up the entire time but not anymore, it's gotten pretty rough. It'd also get those three original hills back before they got replaced, that was arguably the best part of the ride. If it was still like this it'd still be in my Top 3. The park honestly just needs to take care of the damn thing and it might improve.

Pear

Strata Poster
Boulder Dash

Well, I don't know what it was like when it first opened, but have it revert back to the way it was a few years ago. I used to keep my hands up the entire time but not anymore, it's gotten pretty rough. It'd also get those three original hills back before they got replaced, that was arguably the best part of the ride. If it was still like this it'd still be in my Top 3. The park honestly just needs to take care of the damn thing and it might improve.
I wouldn't want it to go all the way back to its original form but I'd like it to go back to right after the GCI retrack. GCI removed the trick track that CCI put in and replaced it with the famous triple up.

Even though the launch is better now, I still really wish Dodonpa still had its top hat and not the loop. The airtime on the tophat looked insane.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Maannn, that triple up was GLORIOUS when it first went in... The trick track wasn't bad the first few years but overtime it flatten itself out but yeah, triple > trick track.

For me, I guess anything I didn't get to ride when it was in its prime... Or at a time where it wasn't common/played out. Might be crazy but I think it would be cool to see/ride a Boomerang when it was a one of a kind thing that people hadn't seen before.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
Valhalla.

I only rode it for the first time a couple of years ago and its easily the most bonkers ride I’ve been on. Having heard that it’s not running half the effects it opened with I’d love to go back and re ride it in its former glory.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Thriller! When it actually existed and had the pre-modified more intense layout.

Also i305 in it's more intense form, big one's first drop and maybe dodonpa because everyone always talks about that top hat airtime.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
For those who rode Skyrush in 2012 when it debuted, did the faster lift make a significant difference in terms of intensity? I recall El Toro's cable lift being slowed down as well during its opening season...

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
Do Do Don Pa. I've talked to someone who rode it and they described it as painful but really insane ejector airtime. Apparently Fuji Q (from the TRs and that guy I talked to) is a very busy park with several really nuts coasters like Takabisha, Do-Dodonpa, and Eejanaika. Also the Thomas the Train dark ride looks pretty cool as does the compact park layout.

Hutch

Strata Poster
I wouldn't want it to go all the way back to its original form but I'd like it to go back to right after the GCI retrack. GCI removed the trick track that CCI put in and replaced it with the famous triple up.
Ha, never knew about that trick track. The triple up was incredible though so if we go back some four years ago at the very least then I'd be happy.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Thundercoaster. That ride was absolutely mental before GCI started retracking it. Yes, it had square turns and square wheels, but also bucketloads of airtime. It didn't so muh subject you to G forces as brutally yank you into a new direction with every turn or hill.

Matt N

CF Legend
I'd personally love to have ridden Grand National at BPB in its opening day form; while the layout is good, it was too rough for me to enjoy in August, and I've heard the restraints used to be more exposed on National in the olden days, so I'd imagine the airtime would have been insane!

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
For those who rode Skyrush in 2012 when it debuted, did the faster lift make a significant difference in terms of intensity? I recall El Toro's cable lift being slowed down as well during its opening season...

I remember a very distinct difference from 2012 on the live to when i went back with friends in 2013. It absolutely dulled the airtime on the ride especially in the back of the train. You lost the intense pop that the cable used to provide going over the top of the lift. That said it went from absolutely ludicrous to the point of being uncomfortable to still some of the strongest airtime i've experienced. That nighttime ERT provided an experience (and pain followed by numbness) I likely will never forget.

Robert.W

Roller Poster
Duel at Alton Towers. Yeah, it’s not a coaster, but it is the ride that stands out beyond most others. I really, really wish I could have experienced in it’s original splendour, when all the effects work as intended and there wasn’t any cheap LEDs ruining the atmosphere, and before Alton Towers let it gradually fall apart, only then to go and add the silly laser shooting element instead of properly fixing it all back up!

Snoo

The Legend
Steel Phantom at Kennywood.

Yeah, it probably wouldn't be a great ride but definitely unique and interesting and maybe.. MAYBE.. one of the better Arrow loopers out there. Phanny now though is obviously superior.