What's new

Thorpe Park: What could the future hold?

Matt N

CF Legend
Sorry for double posting and for bumping the thread, but some possible fresh speculation regarding Thorpe's next coaster project has recently come out. Basically, a poster was spotted in Zombie Hunt the other day with "C.H.I.P 7706" written on it. Someone took a picture of this poster and posted it on Twitter. Thorpe Park liked this tweet, implying that it is something to do with Thorpe Park. I would link to the tweet, but it has now been removed. Then, some members over on TTSP Forum started to try and debunk the poster and find the deeper meaning. Here's what Swarm Chris has come up with in regards to the poster:
Swarm Chris on TTSP Forum said:
Some speculation from the C.H.I.P 7706 poster that was found in Zombie Hunt, which Thorpe liked before the tweet was deleted.

A lot of parks have been teasing new coasters this year through giving the vital statistics of the ride. I'm wondering (or rather speculating and making a straight line from two points) if Thorpe could be doing the same.

We have 4 letters and 4 numbers. My wild speculation is they match up:

C.H. 77
Coaster Height 77m. This just happens to be near enough 250ft, which is higher than Thorpe previously sought permission for, but is just 1m taller than Shambhala, and the exact same height as Energylandia's Hyperion.

I.P. 06
Possibly the P and the 6 form Project 6. Any new roller coaster would be the 6th large coaster in the park.

The I could either be part of the project name, so for example I(nvestment) Project 06. Or it could be the number of inversions is 0.

It's all speculation, but a 77m tall coaster with possibly no inversions, sounds a lot like that hyper we keep talking about.
I personally think that Chris could be on to something there. A 77m tall hyper, while possibly a little high for Thorpe, would tick the boxes that Thorpe's project management team outlined in the TTSP Summer Sizzler talk in July 2017, dependant on manufacturer. These boxes were:

• High reliability
  • High throughput
  • The ability to market itself
Now, a 77m tall ride would break the record for the UK's tallest coaster, which is extremely marketable if you ask me! 77m is 252.6ft, and the current record holder is the Big One at BPB at 213ft (or 235ft, if Thorpe wants to humour Blackpool's claim). So no matter what BPB claims, this ride would be taller than the Big One.

To add further fuel for speculation, another TTSP member spotted a wooden board from Nemesis Inferno's exit that said "MMXX=?". Now this in my eyes would imply that Thorpe has more to reveal about Project 2020 fairly soon, as MMXX is 2020 in roman numerals.

Very interesting... the next year and a half or so could get very exciting at Thorpe!
P.S. Here's the link to TTSP's Project 2020 thread (http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=115&t=41878&start=80), the post with the picture of the CHIP 7706 poster on it (http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=115&t=38055&start=6120#p881521) and the post with the picture of the wooden board on it (http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=115&t=38055&start=6120#p881528). I also apologise if this is unnecessary and for the long post.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Vague... speculative... too optimistic... too early... but still rather exciting. I would dearly love Thorpe to smash it out of the park with something huge, a real statement coaster that, as you said, 'has the ability to market itself', preferably on some impressive stats alone (ie no sh*t gimmicks please!)
77 metres seems a bit ambitious to me, but we can hope, I guess?
Whatever, the mere fact that they're hinting at a 2020 installation is positive news.

Matt N

CF Legend
I can say with almost absolute certainty that C.H.I.P. 7706 has nothing to do with their next coaster.

Nice speculation, but honestly, no correlation. Let's fry and move on quickly and not get salty about it ;)
What could it be to do with, though?

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I also apologise if this is unnecessary and for the long post.

*sigh*

You don't really get the definition of what constitutes a long post, do you? For a baseline, take your post above and multiply by four or so. If you run out of fingers to count paragraphs, and to count the number of sentences in each paragraph, you have a long post (or a nasty accident with power tools, I guess). If people comment just to say "golly gee, that was a long post!" (preferably in a thread of its own for that purpose), you have a long post. If a dialogue box pops up saying you've exceeded the allowed character limit, you've made a long post. And unless all of that (and more!) happens at the same time, there's no reason to apologize for it.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
So I visited Thorpe Park today, and there doesn't appear to be any signs of construction whatsoever around the loggers leap area. If the park was to get a new coaster in 2020, wouldn't we have seen early signs of preparation by now?

Luca B

Mega Poster
So I visited Thorpe Park today, and there doesn't appear to be any signs of construction whatsoever around the loggers leap area. If the park was to get a new coaster in 2020, wouldn't we have seen early signs of preparation by now?
What I would say is that if by the start of the season next year it would be quite concerning. Also, the Loggers Leap site could not be used for a coaster site as it is basically sitting on a march, and if it were built, it would just sink. However, I have heard that over the last few years, they were testing the strength of the land behind The Swarm, and I think that site has been chosen for the next expansion, but I’m not sure when it’ll be.

Matt N

CF Legend
Most parks in the USA and Europe don't tend to start construction until mid-2019 from my experience, so there's still plenty of time for some signs to appear (e.g. planning permission). It only tends to be parks with tight planning restrictions like Alton Towers and Chessington where you tend to see signs far in advance. For reference, I think that Swarm's planning application was filed in February 2011 and DBGT's was filed in October 2014 (someone correct me if I'm wrong), so I personally wouldn't get too concerned unless we reach the start of Thorpe's 2019 season without any sign of a planning application.

jj23w

Hyper Poster
You normally won't see planning permission for Thorpe's larger investments until at least the closed season. So it should hopefully be early 2019 and will then start construction as soon as plans get approved.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I've just stumbled across this awesome B&M hyper coaster concept for Thorpe Park created by lancehutch:-
Definitely looks like a potential hyper coaster for Thorpe Park in the near future.

EpochEmu

Mega Poster
I've just stumbled across this awesome B&M hyper coaster concept for Thorpe Park created by lancehutch:-
Definitely looks like a potential hyper coaster for Thorpe Park in the near future.
If real life is anything like RCT those supports in the water would cost a small fortune. :D
I also feel like that prediction would be more likely to be made by Intamin, not B&M.

Matt N

CF Legend
Ooh! That looks amazing! If Thorpe 2020 is anything like that, then I'm sold!

Although I am with @EpochEmu in that it looks more like an Intamin hyper to me; some of that banking looks borderline inversion material, and it definitely reminds me more of Hyperion than anything B&M have done. The ride also lacks the normal MCBR that most B&M hypers have.

Mako, Shambhala and the gigas seem to have more aggressive banking than the other B&M hypers, though, so anything is possible!

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Ooh! That looks amazing! If Thorpe 2020 is anything like that, then I'm sold!

Although I am with @EpochEmu in that it looks more like an Intamin hyper to me; some of that banking looks borderline inversion material, and it definitely reminds me more of Hyperion than anything B&M have done. The ride also lacks the normal MCBR that most B&M hypers have.

Mako, Shambhala and the gigas seem to have more aggressive banking than the other B&M hypers, though, so anything is possible!
The creator of the coaster said he forgot to put in a midcourse, it was unintentional.