What's new

Kings Island | Orion | B&M Giga Coaster

EndlessWire

Mega Poster
I think everybody's getting this all wrong. Let me explain:

- "Number Five"
- There are four original members of rock band The Who, but when you count post-Moon drummer Kenney Jones, you arrive at five. Five people have been in The Who.
- "WHO" has three letters
- Just like...
- You guessed it...
- SLC.

Vekoma SLC confirmed.
In seriousness, this is right out of the "let's have some fun with the enthusiasts and get them talking about us" playbook, and I have no problem with that. Now that Cedar Fair know the appeal of a hyper-hybrid, I wouldn't be too surprised to see KI get either a custom hybrid or hyper woodie for 2020. They could market it as being the next in the Beast's lineage, but it's actual similarities to SoB would, I imagine, be limited to being a) very tall and b) possibly a vertical loop in a nod to the past. Beyond that, they've got lots of space and a blank canvas, so the idea that they could use those assets is rather exciting.

Lofty

CF Legend
Cases like this are really interesting - showing how enthusiasts and park guests actually do a lot of assistance in the marketing process for parks. So many people are talking about this and saying about Son of Beast being reborn someway that Kings Island just have to sit back and watch this unfold. It's really fab.

EndlessWire

Mega Poster
Cases like this are really interesting - showing how enthusiasts and park guests actually do a lot of assistance in the marketing process for parks. So many people are talking about this and saying about Son of Beast being reborn someway that Kings Island just have to sit back and watch this unfold. It's really fab.
It's quite impeccable, and shows how acutely their marketing department know their intellectual property assets and how to push certain buttons to get this precise reaction. Nowhere in any of that poster are the words "Son of Beast" mentioned - I'm very impressed by the subtlety and use of imagery to get their desired effect.

Last edited:

TLARides

Hyper Poster
I think everybody's getting this all wrong. Let me explain:

- "Number Five"
- There are four original members of rock band The Who, but when you count post-Moon drummer Kenney Jones, you arrive at five. Five people have been in The Who.
- "WHO" has three letters
- Just like...
- You guessed it...
- SLC.

Vekoma SLC confirmed.
In seriousness, this is right out of the "let's have some fun with the enthusiasts and get them talking about us" playbook, and I have no problem with that. Now that Cedar Fair know the appeal of a hyper-hybrid, I wouldn't be too surprised to see KI get either a custom hybrid or hyper woodie for 2020. They could market it as being the next in the Beast's lineage, but it's actual similarities to SoB would, I imagine, be limited to being a) very tall and b) possibly a vertical loop in a nod to the past. Beyond that, they've got lots of space and a blank canvas, so the idea that they could use those assets is rather exciting.
I made a YouTube video about this a while back. Now that the park has space where Dinosaurs Alive used to be, they have a chance at fitting something in the woods there (a nice fit for something that would be like a Beast successor). There's also a huge ton of space basically behind the current edge of the park, essentially opening spaces for this potential hybrid and the infamous Giga.

If the park were to do a new coaster back there, whatever it may be, an RMC, B&M, or an SLC (which I think haven't been made in quite a while), those two spots would be a neat area.

Also, I can probably confirm that the poster talking about the new maze probably doesn't apply to this. I don't think a SoB themed scare maze/zone would be very popular (people like nostalgia, but preferably in the form of a new coaster).

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

EndlessWire

Mega Poster
FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD IN THE WORLD THEY ARE NOT REBUILDING OR DOING ANYTHING ASSOCIATED WITH SON OF :emoji_zipper_mouth:ING BEAST.

STOP.

MAKING.

:emoji_poop:.

UP.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Regardless, they are deliberately alluding to it, so surely it's worth at least discussing why they're doing that, no?

Snoo

The Legend
FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD IN THE WORLD THEY ARE NOT REBUILDING OR DOING ANYTHING ASSOCIATED WITH SON OF :emoji_zipper_mouth:ING BEAST.

STOP.

MAKING.

:emoji_poop:.

UP.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

giphy.webp

kenny cook

Mega Poster
Here's my predictions:
2019- Antique car ride/Family attractions
2020- Waterpark expansion
2021- Next major coaster (DC Rivals styled)
2022- Planet Snoopy expansion

Please note how Son of Beast remake wasn't in there

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
https://www.wcpo.com/money/consumer...kings-island-teases-new-coaster-may-be-coming

Look. Look what fake fanboy speculation did. Don't think I've ever facepalmed harder over home park talk in my life. Garbage got so bad it made the news, this has to be a first.

I'm over here rolling with laughter, though. An innocent homage to Son of Beast, Tony Clark trolling, and a few coaster Instagram/YouTube kids actually made the news as new ride speculation, even when the park flat out said they have nothing to do with any of it.

Snoo

The Legend
https://www.wcpo.com/money/consumer...kings-island-teases-new-coaster-may-be-coming

Look. Look what fake fanboy speculation did. Don't think I've ever facepalmed harder over home park talk in my life. Garbage got so bad it made the news, this has to be a first.

I'm over here rolling with laughter, though. An innocent homage to Son of Beast, Tony Clark trolling, and a few coaster Instagram/YouTube kids actually made the news as new ride speculation, even when the park flat out said they have nothing to do with any of it.

I hate the world.

TLARides

Hyper Poster
Not to add to speculation on SoB Reborn, but a lot of the ride ops at KI kept mentioning SoB in some way

Just a thought

Snoo

The Legend
Hey, I never agreed with WCPO or these other guys saying SoB is actually coming back.

Oooo I'm not saying you are boss man. Just that them saying that isn't surprising. Marketing is a fun science and like all things, if you do certain things the right way, it will take off.

Jarrett

Like I said...

1. It’s early August, Haunt season starts next month.

2. A maze at Kings Island is supposed to be retired and replaced this year.

3. One of the longer running mazes makes its home in the old Son of Beast station.

So with these three facts in mind, it’s much more reasonable to assume that this is for a new haunt in SoB’s station than it is to spend all that money bringing back a ride with a stigma for being unsafe.

This has gotten so out of hand, even saw some kid say they’d move Banshee to Valleyfair to get the plot back because he doesn’t like Banshee and never got to ride SoB.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
And another thing... Son of Beast is gone, right? As in, it's not there anymore, bulldozed, scrapped, kaput? It's not like it's still sat there, awaiting restoration. So it can't come back. It just can't. Whatever coaster they build next, whenever that may be, will be a brand new, ground up creation with a brand new name, yes?
Will the name or theme incorporate some sort of subtle reference or homage to coasters past? Possibly.
Are Cedar Fair sneakily teasing the goons with that prospect in their promotional bumff? That too is possible.
Son of Beast 2/ Grandson of Beast/ Sister of Beast?
Errr.... no.

Jarrett

And another thing... Son of Beast is gone, right? As in, it's not there anymore, bulldozed, scrapped, kaput? It's not like it's still sat there, awaiting restoration. So it can't come back. It just can't. Whatever coaster they build next, whenever that may be, will be a brand new, ground up creation with a brand new name, yes?
Will the name or theme incorporate some sort of subtle reference or homage to coasters past? Possibly.
Are Cedar Fair sneakily teasing the goons with that prospect in their promotional bumff? That too is possible.
Errr.... no.
Bulldozed, scrapped, and replaced. They even filed the void it left.

This is subtle stuff aimed at KI goons, maybe there will be a bit of that as an Easter egg in a new haunt or ride, but the Son of Beast theme on something big and noticeable to all or a giant inverting wooden coaster are all very stigmatized in KI’s market, it would be way too risky to do when they can just do something else.

Matt N

CF Legend
Errr.... no.
Or maybe they're RMCing Banshee? ;)