What's new

Rank the GCIs

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Interesting to see Renegade get so much praise recently. GCIs at night are just :emoji_zipper_mouth:ing incredible. I can't wait to ride Troy at night during Halloween next week!
I hadn't heard anything about it until recently when both @gavin and @Jarrett went and wrote TRs. It wasn't on my radar at all until that point, and I thought they may have been hyping it a little compared to most of the comparable rubbish at Valleyfair, but they were spot on, ridiculously good and well worth the 6 hour drive from SFGam.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
How did I miss this list/bragging topic?

The top three are kind of interchangeable, as are the four at the bottom. The rest in the middle could be switched around without much difficulty.

1. Python in Bamboo Forest - Huge, epic, smooth thing with a great layout. One of few GCIs -along with the two below it - that can actually challenge Gravity Group these days.

2. Wood Coaster - Another huge, epic thing that uses the landscape brilliantly. In the year between first and second visits, however, it was getting noticeably rougher, so a reride now, 3 years later, would quite possibly make it drop significantly.

3. Renegade - Loved this. Packs loads in to what is a surprising coaster given that you can see f**k all of it until you're riding. Stronger airtime than the two above it.

4. American Thunder - It was called something else at the time, but I remember really liking it. Got a feeling I would be a bit disappointed if I went back to it though.

5. Prowler - Same as above really. Could easily switch the two.

6. Thunderhead - And again

7. Troy - Should probably be a bit higher on the list, but again needs to be reridden to be sure. I really liked it, but remember a distinct lack of airtime.

8. White Lightning - Great for its size and perfect for the park it's in. No need to go overboard rating this any higher though.

9. Apocalypse - Rode it as Terminator years previously and really, really liked it, especially since it barely gets a mention. Riding it again a few years later made it drop considerably though.

10. Wodan - I found it all a bit lackluster, but I'm willing to accept, based on recent reports, that I'm "wrong" on this one and it needs another chance. Could easily have caught it at a bad time which is definitely a thing with coasters, especially woodies.

11. Joris en de Draak - Decent fun while not really doing a great deal. Should probably be higher.

12. Lightning Racer - As above really. Had loads of fun whoring this a bit, so I should probably put it higher, but as coasters they're pretty simple.

13. Roar (SFDK) - It was "fine". Good enough for a few rerides. Didn't do much.

14. El Toro - A massive letdown given previous glowing reviews. It's totally inoffensive, but is a bit of a dry turd of a ride.

15. Roar (SFA) - Should be the same as the other one, but didn't enjoy it at all. Could be down to a bad mood and a crappy day in a crappy park. RMC the f**ker.

16. Wildcat - I know I've ridden it. That's all I can tell you.

TilenB

Strata Poster
Not bothered to write opinions, but here's the list:
1. Troy
2. Joris en de Draak
3. Wodan
4. Apocalypse
5. Gwazi

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Not gonna lie, I'm surprised to see Renegade get so much love. Even Adam House himself says that in hindsight they did so much wrong with the ride.

1. Mystic Timbers - I'll be eating my words for a long time with Mystic. The ride itself is fantastic. It's fast, intense, and smooth as hell - proof that GCI can still play in the modern industry.
2. Apocalypse - Completely came out of left field. Didn't pay attention to its construction nor did I think it looked exciting. It ended up being excellent, especially with a fresh retrack!
3. Gold Striker - It probably would have been my favorite had it not been so rough. It had all of the directional changes and airtime in the transitions, but the ride seemed much longer than other GCIs.
4. Kentucky Rumbler - I think I got lucky when I rode between rain storms. I bet the ride was running at least 10mph faster than it should have been and it was intense as hell.
5. Lightning Racer - How can one not love it? It's just missing the intensity that more recent GCIs have.
6. American Thunder - Super comfortable ride with plenty of airtime.
7. Prowler - I'll be honest, I don't remember a whole lot from Prowler aside from it being a bit uncomfortable for whatever reason.
8. White Lightning - It's fun, but like Lightning Racer, it just doesn't have the oomph that others have.
9. Roar - Same story as 8.
10. Wildcat - I don't understand the hate that Wildcat receives, but it's pretty meh.
11. Gwazi - Good to see that there's a mutual understanding that Gwazi was terrible.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Not gonna lie, I'm surprised to see Renegade get so much love. Even Adam House himself says that in hindsight they did so much wrong with the ride.
They should do more things wrong then because they nailed it imo. The others really don't have the wildness of Renegade.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
^^ and ^, Jeff Pike also said at Coasterstock that he screwed up the transition up into Mystic Timbers's tunnel and that's one of the most brash elements on the ride. So yeah, if that's GCI screwing up I guess they need to screw up more. ;)

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
^I agree things like that are often good, they add a bit of character and stop a ride being too clinical.

1. Python in Bamboo Forest - Absolute beast. Goes on forever and never lets up. We bonded.

Until the above, I found all GCIs to be a very similar experience and quite difficult to separate. They were always very good, but never killer. So the rest are rather close together.

2 & 3. Joris en de Draaks - Effects, music, racing and pacing elevate these above the others.
4. Wodan - Again a bit of theming and music help it stand out. Also gave me that joyous laughing effect throughout.
5. Heidi - Short but fun.
6. El Toro - Short but not quite as fun.
7. Troy - Reputation had grown by this one and it was the only one with any expectations. Doesn't do enough with it's size, not as well paced. Still great.

I wish I had Gwazi to put at the bottom. Sorry Troy.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners

1. Mystic Timbers - I'll be eating my words for a long time with Mystic. The ride itself is fantastic. It's fast, intense, and smooth as hell - proof that GCI can still play in the modern industry.
2. Apocalypse - Completely came out of left field. Didn't pay attention to its construction nor did I think it looked exciting. It ended up being excellent, especially with a fresh retrack!
3. Gold Striker - It probably would have been my favorite had it not been so rough. It had all of the directional changes and airtime in the transitions, but the ride seemed much longer than other GCIs.
4. Kentucky Rumbler - I think I got lucky when I rode between rain storms. I bet the ride was running at least 10mph faster than it should have been and it was intense as hell.
5. Lightning Racer - How can one not love it? It's just missing the intensity that more recent GCIs have.
6. American Thunder - Super comfortable ride with plenty of airtime.
7. Prowler - I'll be honest, I don't remember a whole lot from Prowler aside from it being a bit uncomfortable for whatever reason.
8. White Lightning - It's fun, but like Lightning Racer, it just doesn't have the oomph that others have.
9. Roar - Same story as 8.
10. Wildcat - I don't understand the hate that Wildcat receives, but it's pretty meh.
11. Gwazi - Good to see that there's a mutual understanding that Gwazi was terrible.

So here I am realizing that my dumb ass completely forgot about Thunderhead and after riding it this past weekend, it's completely ****ed up my list :p

Last time I rode it was back in 2010 - I'm not sure if that last time was an off day or if my tastes have really changed that much, but it was unbelievably good...good enough to take the #1 spot.

ASteelersMidget

Roller Poster
Good:

Thunderhead
Mystic Timbers
Lightning Racer
American Thunder

Bad:
Wildcat
Gwazi

Not much to add past what most other people have said.

Imagineer Josh

Mega Poster
From what I've ridden...
1. Thunderhead
2. American Thunder
3. Apocalypse

From what I haven't ridden (Order from most to least interesting)...
1. Wood Coaster
2. Python in Bamboo Forest
3. Troy
4. El Toro
5. Renegade
6. Gold Striker
7. Lightning Racer
8. White Lightning/Heidi The Ride
9. Kentucky Rumbler
10. Mystic Timbers
11. Wodan Timbur Coaster
12. Joris en de Draak
13. InvadR
14. Prowler
15. Roar
16. Wildcat

Lofty

CF Legend
1. Wodan
Truly brilliant coaster. High speeds maintained throughout, rips through the layout, great forces and feels incredible out of control.

2. Mystic Timbers
Great fun coasters. Fast paced, great layout, just general fun. Not to mention it's ****ing huge.

2. Joris en de Draak
I don't really have a favourite out of them both, they're both just really good coasters. Again, fab layout, good pacing and love the interaction.

3. White Lightning
Small fast paced coaster with some fun elements. The really **** part is the 90 degree turnaround that just adds nothing but discomfort to the ride experience.

4. Troy
Really long layout, but just isn't all that incredible. I think it isn't helped that this coaster has stupidly high praise, that for me, just feels completely unjust.

5. Gwazi
Massive bag o' ****. So happy this ****er is on its way out.

Matt N

CF Legend
Ummm... I haven't actually ridden any GCIs yet, but I really like the look of GCI's coasters from POVs. They look to keep their speed well and they look like really fun woodies, which is why I'm so excited to ride my first GCI, Wicker Man, in 2018. Due to me riding Wicker Man, I can guarantee one placement in my GCI list:
  1. Wicker Man
But if you're allowed to count GCIs that you've seen in the flesh, then I've seen 3. I saw Wicker Man being built in July 2017, I saw Gwazi SBNO in August 2016 and I saw White Lightning out of a car window on the way to Universal in August 2016. They all looked like good rides, even though Gwazi received some... er... interesting reviews throughout its lifetime.

Matt N

CF Legend
So, as of 25th March 2018 after riding Wicker Man, my ranking looks like this (new in bold):
  1. Wicker Man - Well, I rode Wicker Man, and it was fantastic! Some really good pops of airtime, great pacing and much better, more thrilling transitions than Megafobia! Overall, it was definitely my favourite wooden roller coaster, and it makes me want to ride more GCIs worldwide!

Howie

Donkey in a hat
1. Troy. TROY!
2. Joris en de Draak.
3. Terminator Salvation (as was).
4. Wicker Dude
5. Heidi.

6. Gwazi.

That's my lot, but expect an update after June when I'll be adding 3 more. Yay!

Last edited:

Jared

Hyper Poster
1. Troy
2. Joris (Water)
3. Wickerman
4. Joris (Fire)
5. Wodan

Only ranking the ones I’ve actually been on of course. POVs don’t count.

henryjwillis

Mega Poster
1. Troy
2. Joris (Water)
3. Wickerman
4. Joris (Fire)
5. Wodan

Only ranking the ones I’ve actually been on of course. POVs don’t count.
Pleasantly surprised to see WM sandwiched between the two sides of Joris, only seen POVs but they don't look that different in terms of ride experience (and both look a fair bit better than WM objectively, although not been on that yet either).

Sandman

Giga Poster
Time to be basic:

1. Troy
2. Joris
3. Heidi

Should have Wodan in the bag in Sept though, looking forward to finally experiencing that for myself.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I keep looking at this topic and think that Troy must have been having a poor day when we all visited a few years back. So many Troy fans but it failed to leave a good impression on me.