What's new

WTF are you talking about???

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I was thinking about starting this thread a few weeks ago after talking to ECG. Pierre has just reminded me to start it though.

Basically, is there anything people say that - while they may think is a common expression - is actually completely WTF?

Pierre said:
because I'm mad as a scone

Is a perfect example. I've never heard that said before and while I understand what Pierre's trying to say, WTF does it actually mean? Are scones particularly mad? Why would anyone compare themselves to a scone to show how mad they are? Is it sarcasm?

The one ECG didn't get was when I told him that he may be "making a rod for his own back". It's an expression he said he'd never heard of, but it's one I use all the time because I'm constantly doing it.

Essentially it means that by doing something, you'll end up creating more work or problems for yourself in the future and you're kind of aware of that fact.

So are there any of phrases or idioms you hear but don't understand, or that you think are common but make other people look blankly at you?

And mad as a scone? WTF?

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Hahah, this reminds me of my visit to Silver Dollar City when I used the word "gobsmacked" to describe Outlaw Run. They were confused but it's pretty obvious - it's so good it makes me smack the side of my gob (mouth).

https://www.facebook.com/CoasterForce/p ... 8626188639

And yes, I am a lard-arse* in that photo.

* Fat

marc

CF Legend
Years ago in the USA we got chatting to a few Americans and they had no idea what the word shag meant lol. We had to explain in to them and for a whole week they kept saying it lol.

Pierre

Strata Poster
^ I just researched the origin of 'mad scone' - turns out it's Irish slang? Got brought up with that one and as I was reliving my youth at the time of posting thought I'd drop that in there!

There's no reasoning as to why madness was compared to a scone though :lol:

Not the best example I'd have hoped to find - but Niall from 1D adding to the Irish heritage..

[tweet]https://twitter.com/NiallOfficial/status/62973016493146112[/tweet]

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Smithy said:
COULD CARE LESS
This. Just wtf does it mean?

Well yes I could care less about xyz, but why is that important?
Sometimes people change it to 'I couldn't care less', which makes even less sense.
Ahhhh!

Also, the Welsh's favourite 'I'll be there now. In a minute'.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Since I had never had any mo friends when growing up, nearly all the phrases from RuPauls Drag Race were just pure "....what?" towards me.

Also, I recently was called "clutch", and while I have a very basic understanding of what the kid meant, I feel so much older than I should...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Mysterious Sue said:
Well yes I could care less about xyz, but why is that important?
Sometimes people change it to 'I couldn't care less', which makes even less sense.
Ahhhh!

WTF are you talking about Sue? :lol:

On a scale of "what I care about"
^ Fluffy Bunnies
|
| Coasters
|
| Beer
|
| Family_Furie
|
| Being Kicked in the face
|
v Male-Jordan's opinions on comedy

There is nothing under M-JOoC. I simply have nothing in the world I care less about - hence "I couldn't care less about Male-Jordan's opinions on comedy".

Obviously, there are a multitude of things that I do actually care less about, but due to the cutting nature of the British temperament, it's much more fun and hurtful to say "I couldn't care less (you're the bottom of the pile, inconsequential, pointless, irrelevant and death would be too good for you)".

Of course, a better response is "I care so much about what you're saying" in as sarcastic tone as you can find. The problem is, goons don't understand sarcasm - which is why the American "I could care less" fails on so many levels ;)

nealbie

CF Legend
Oh Sue... If you don't understand what furie said then maybe David Mitchell will help? :lol:

He has a care-scale-graph and everything!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw[/youtube]

Smithy

Strata Poster
that video has been used on so many occaisions <3

also found some people daaaahn saaaaaf get confused when I say it's tea time, bloody poshies and their IT'S BREAKFAST LUNCH AND DINNER.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Smithy said:
also found some people daaaahn saaaaaf get confused when I say it's tea time, bloody poshies and their IT'S BREAKFAST LUNCH AND DINNER.
Ah, one of my favourite arguments. You're correct, it is "breakfast , lunch and dinner", but tea time is really dinner time.

However, I've recently been mixing with posh people who call their evening meal (dinner) "supper". No, supper is a small snack such as toast or cereal shortly before bed time.

On topic, it took me a while to realise that "sick" meant "good" and not bad as the word suggests. Thankfully I don't mix with people who use "gansta" terminology. I'll stick to my guffawing, supper-eating, cellar-flooded associates thank you very much.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Nope, I had dinnerladies at school not lunchladies and I've been brought up with the evening meal as tea. It's probably the last bit of Northener I've got left (apart from speaking properly and calling it Castle not Carstle, Bath not Barth etc...) so I'll cling to it.

can of worms being opened here.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
I'd never heard the word 'supper' used in normal speech (only in books) until I moved to West London. There everyone speaks 'posh' and they use words like 'supper', 'pudding' and 'huzzah' without a hint of irony! I've learnt to hide my laughter.

therick311

Mega Poster
Smithy said:
(apart from speaking properly and calling it Castle not Carstle, Bath not Barth etc...)

can of worms being opened here.

Can of worms indeed. This reminds me of some of the things you hear in the midwest. Wash vs warsh being one of them. But if there is one that really drives me nuts it's Missour-ah. I'm from here and that still drives me bonkers! :redhotevil:

Pierre

Strata Poster
In Scotland, if you want anything from the fish shop with chips, you order a 'item' supper.

Fish Supper = Fish & Chips
Sausage Supper = Sausage & Chips
Pie Supper =

well you get my point - I'd only come across this last year when I went camping around the Scottish borders. I also had a battered pizza on my first night there, top banana.

295064_10152877150905241_219126742_n.jpg

Breakfast, Dinner, Tea, Supper. Ian's definition of Supper is correct that's something Northerners and Southerners agree on at least ;)