What's new

Stealth or Red Force; which European Intamin launch coaster do you prefer?

Stealth or Red Force; which European Intamin launch coaster do you prefer?

• Total voters

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. The current tallest coaster in the world, Kingda Ka, has a very simple layout, consisting simply of a launch into a giant top hat followed by a hill into a set of brakes. Here in Europe, we have two Intamin launch coasters that follow a very similar playbook layout-wise; Stealth at Thorpe Park and Red Force at Ferrari Land. These two rides both have fast launches into a tall top hat and very little else, but they are quite different rides. Red Force is by far the taller and faster of the two, standing at 367ft tall and reaching 112mph compared to 205ft and 80mph for Stealth. Stealth, however, has a traditional hydraulic launch that Red Force lacks, and what it lacks in height and speed, it makes up for in acceleration; its 0-80 in 1.8s acceleration is the 3rd fastest of any coaster in the world! But I'd be keen to know; which of these two similar Intamin launch coasters do you prefer? Do the height and speed of Red Force win the battle for you, or is the hydraulic launch and faster acceleration of Stealth more your thing?

Personally, I'm not going to pass judgement just yet, as I've only ridden Stealth at the moment. I absolutely love Stealth, though, and it only narrowly misses my top 10!

I should be riding Red Force for the first time in 2024 if all goes well, and while Shambhala is my most anticipated coaster at PortAventura, Red Force is certainly a coaster that excites me as well. If Stealth is anything to go by, Red Force should be awesome! If I get to ride Red Force in 2024, I may even report back my verdict in this thread!

But I'd be really interested to know; do you prefer Stealth or Red Force? Which of these European Intamin launch coasters ticks your boxes more?

The_bullgod

Mega Poster
Red Force has the higher topspeed and overall height of the two, but Stealth has the very very impressive acceleration.
Which do you prefer?
I prefer Stealth over Red Force

Smithy

Strata Poster
Red Force, quite easily. Not really a fan of either mind.

Stealth is just over a bit too quickly. Don't rate the launch, the only thing going for it is the hill.

Red Force's launch just seems to chug and chug and chug and it feels like you're climbing for AGES (which you technically are), so it just gives a better experience/sense of speed.

Changa

Mega Poster
Red force just eeks out over Stealth for me. They're both fantastic, but the size and speed of Red Force made for a much more complete ride, and the closest I've been on to match TTD's madness. Also, the drop off the top hat is one of the best I have ever been on.

However, the force of Stealth's launch is still easily the best I have experienced, to the point where it is still a fairly close match.

ScottLann

Mega Poster
Red Force by a large margin.

Stealth is great and that acceleration is definitely the highlight moment for me. But I'd say you feel the speed a LOT more on Red Force.

The launch is much longer and you feel it, and by the 2nd half of it, the speed you're going at feels insane. Plus, it's got the lovely lap bars and a much better drop too :)

Howie

Donkey in a hat
I should be riding Red Force for the first time in 2024 if all goes well, and while Shambhala is my most anticipated coaster at PortAventura, Red Force is certainly a coaster that excites me as well.

Oooh you lucky boy. Love Port Aventura, me. 2 potential Top 10'ers there for you I reckon. When are you planning to go? It's a great resort, but it can also be very frustrating if crowd levels are expected to be high. If this is a family holiday, you need to drum it into your folks that Fast Lane or Express Pass or whatever it's called, is an absolute must. Budget for it at the outset and buy the highest level you can afford.
And stay in the original Port Aventura Hotel.
And don't miss Templo del Fuego.

Sorry, got carried away with the trip advice there, wrong thread. 🙄

On topic: Red Force for me, easy win. It can judder a bit, especially towards the back, but it's purely about height and speed with these things and... well, clearly Red Force smashes Stealth on both counts. Lap bars are another big plus, compared to Stealth's shoulder restraints.

Nowt wrong with Stealth, still love it, but Red Force, especially at night, is a far more memorable experience.

Matt N

CF Legend
Oooh you lucky boy. Love Port Aventura, me. 2 potential Top 10'ers there for you I reckon. When are you planning to go? It's a great resort, but it can also be very frustrating if crowd levels are expected to be high. If this is a family holiday, you need to drum it into your folks that Fast Lane or Express Pass or whatever it's called, is an absolute must. Budget for it at the outset and buy the highest level you can afford.
And stay in the original Port Aventura Hotel.
And don't miss Templo del Fuego.

Sorry, got carried away with the trip advice there, wrong thread. 🙄
Thanks for the advice @Howie!

We were thinking mid-June, after I finish university. I originally suggested September, but my parents are pondering a cruise in September, so that was vetoed. I've heard plenty about Express at PortAventura, and I shall certainly mention it to my parents. I've heard Templo Del Fuego only operates at peak times, so if it's open, I'll certainly give it a go!

Not to worry; your advice is greatly appreciated!

Hutch

Strata Poster
I'm a little surprised that Red Force is the clear winner here.

Stealth has a much better launch and is much smoother. Sure Red Force has the better presentation and has lap bars, but it still rattles its way down the launch track and the LSMs are a step down from a hydraulic launch. Even Furious Baco is the better ride at the park.

Last edited:

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I'm a little surprised that Red Force is the clear winner here.

Stealth has a much better launch and is much smoother. Sure Red Force, has the better presentation and has lap bars, but it still rattles its way down the launch track and the LSMs are a step down from a hydraulic launch. Even Furious Baco is the better ride at the park.
Stealth has the much more intense launch... That's not necessarily better. Red force has the smoother launch, and reaches a higher top speed. I personally prefer that, I love the sensation of speed you get for a seemingly much longer period as you fly down Red Force's launch track. On Stealth you barely have time to realise you've been launched through the back of your seat before you're losing speed again on the incline.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Thanks for the advice @Howie!

We were thinking mid-June, after I finish university. I originally suggested September, but my parents are pondering a cruise in September, so that was vetoed. I've heard plenty about Express at PortAventura, and I shall certainly mention it to my parents. I've heard Templo Del Fuego only operates at peak times, so if it's open, I'll certainly give it a go!

Not to worry; your advice is greatly appreciated!
You must do more than mention it, Matt, especially in June. I second Howie's advice, it's an absolute must.

I'd go as far as to say that if your parents aren't interested in budgeting for it, suggest that they consider somewhere else at that time of year. I've been known to buy fast pass at a lot of parks, and I'll admit, it isn't always necessary, but there's no way on this planet I'd ever willingly endure PA's cattle pens in the summer months!!!

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Huh? Stealth is definitely much smoother. Red Force isn't as rough as Kingda Ka, but it's far from smooth.
Not in my experience it isn't, Red Force was silky smooth, helped by the lack of OTSRs. Stealth is an uncomfortable old girl with some of the worst designed restraints in the industry, amplifying every single bump and vibration to anybody tall.

But that's not actually what I meant by smoother launch, I meant more gradual acceleration rather than yanking you full force.

Either way though, it's the same, smoother for me.

Last edited:

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
Having ridden Red Force this weekend, I am firmly in the Stealth supremacy camp on this one. Stealth is much punchier and gives me a bigger adrenaline rush. The launch on Stealth has so much more kick to it, plus the airtime hill gives a great pop.

Red Force is a superb night ride with excellent views, but I found it rough if you're not sat in the first couple of rows. The launch is almost...too long? Feels like it takes ages to reach top speed?

Red Force is still a fantastic ride though and I can't wait to hear your opinion after you ride it @Matt N

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Having ridden Red Force this weekend, I am firmly in the Stealth supremacy camp on this one. Stealth is much punchier and gives me a bigger adrenaline rush. The launch on Stealth has so much more kick to it, plus the airtime hill gives a great pop.

Red Force is a superb night ride with excellent views, but I found it rough if you're not sat in the first couple of rows. The launch is almost...too long? Feels like it takes ages to reach top speed?

Red Force is still a fantastic ride though and I can't wait to hear your opinion after you ride it @Matt N
Red force has more than one row?

In all seriousness, I've only ever done the front row, every single time, goggles and all... Probably should have mentioned that, if it makes such a difference. (They always seem to put you on the front on Red Force with the express package we buy, yet it's supposed to be excluded I believe.)

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
I've only been lucky enough to get the front row on Red Force once, but we didn't have Express Pass at Ferrari Land. The staff are usually very strict about allocating rows and wouldn't allow me to wait an extra train for the front.

Hutch

Strata Poster
In all seriousness, I've only ever done the front row, every single time, goggles and all... Probably should have mentioned that, if it makes such a difference.
Ahh well that explains it. 🤣

Think I did second to last row (only one ride too... not a fun wait). Still a ton of fun, but didn't feel like the best shape. Would love to try front someday, though I am a little skeptical about how much better it would be. People have said the same thing about Kingda Ka being smooth in the front row and that wasn't the case when I finally tried it.

The_bullgod

Mega Poster
Yes Red Force does have the highest topspeed of any coaster in Europe, but it does take hours to reach that topspeed.
Compare the difference in acceleration, Stealth is almost twice as fast as Red Force (18,8m/s2 - 10,0m/s2). This means Red Force is boring slow,
The only plus side of Red Force is it's height. You have a very beautiful view of the surrounding area.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Yes Red Force does have the highest topspeed of any coaster in Europe, but it does take hours to reach that topspeed.
Compare the difference in acceleration, Stealth is almost twice as fast as Red Force (18,8m/s2 - 10,0m/s2). This means Red Force is boring slow,
The only plus side of Red Force is it's height. You have a very beautiful view of the surrounding area.
Again, not everybody wants that kind of acceleration... Acceleration is literally all stealth has. It's trains and restraints are crap and uncomfortable, any sensation of speed on the launch is gone instantly when you hit the incline, and air time isn't a given, although good when you do get it at the back to be fair.

Top speed, time to appreciate the speed with the length of the launch track, height plus smoothness, restraints or whatever it is that makes it infinitely more comfortable to me, are what it has over stealth for some of us. The coastal view from the top isn't half bad on RF either to be honest. Cresting that top hat to a stunning view of the Mediterranean sea is definitely better than the glorious views of greater London. 😂 Although the lakes nearby are quite pretty from up there.

Definitely not boring slow either, there isn't a single LSM launch that I wouldn't take over every single Hydraulic launch I've done. I just prefer the smoothness of acceleration an LSM launch provides, compared to the aggressive launches of old hydraulic coasters.

Hydraulic launches are incredible, but LSM launches are just better imo, and that's a hill I'm willing to die on. :p It's also another interesting Poll for @Matt N to post, because whilst I'm sure that most will prefer the power of Hydraulic, I can't be alone in my preference for LSM...

Niles

Giga Poster
Stealth for me.

Red forceless left me disappointed, compared to Stealth the ride feels clinical lacking that wild Intamin oomph. The rolling start means you loose that kick and suspense, while fast i found i had enough time to think is this launch not over yet. Top hat does not much (other than a nice view) then a long nothing till the funny bump and your done.

Stealth takes my breath feeling wild and forceful while Red Force gives a nice scenic view, both are great however and i do appreciate the restraints on RF are much nicer.