What's new

Screamers?

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
How do you feel about people around you screaming on a roller coaster?

A. It hurts my ears and/or grates/annoys me. Why can’t people enjoy the coaster in silence, or at least without screaming so loudly and/or constantly?

B. It’s a coaster; there’s going to screaming. I’m pretty indifferent.

C. Screaming? I’ve been on so many coasters now I don’t even hear it.

D. Whether it’s the friend I’m riding with or a complete stranger near me, I love screaming. It adds to the overall fun/enthusiasm/adrenaline rush. The more screaming, the better. Besides, I’m usually screaming my head off myself.

Benenen

Hyper Poster
Depends on the context of the scream. If it's someone's genuine reaction to the ride then it's all cool with me. If however it's someone screaming to show off how scared they are to their mate or for attempted comedy effect like on a powered mine train then it's highly irritating.

Last edited:

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Depends on the context of the scream. If it's someone's genuine reaction to the ride then it's all cool with me. If however it's someone screaming to show off how scared they are too their mate or for attempted comedy effect like on a powered mine train then it's highly irritating.
Yup. And doubly so if it's an enclosed station on the powered mine train.

Zek_Teh_Kek

Hyper Poster
I'm in between B and C. I sometimes don't notice it, but sometimes I hear it, and when I do, it's tolerable.
Edit: Sometimes I fake scream ironicly on the mine ride. People have looked at me before.

Last edited:

jayjay

Giga Poster
Excessive or forced screaming gets annoying quickly, but coasters feel a bit dead without some kind of rider noise. And I love a goon session where the group collectively yelps when a bout of airtime or strong transition catches everyone off guard.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
And I love a goon session where the group collectively yelps when a bout of airtime or strong transition catches everyone off guard.
Exactly. I did an ERT hour on El Toro and my buddy cackled absolutely maniacally all the way through every single ride, and while I could see that annoying a lot of people, I loved it and thought it made the whole thing seem like a lot more fun.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
I don't mind a bit of genuine screaming but if, for example, a grown man were to squeal something like 'Weeeeeeeeee twisty goodness' or 'Loop Dee loooop'? Yeah, I think I might find that mildly irritating.
So I'm about a B, I reckon.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
I don't mind a bit of genuine screaming but if, for example, a grown man were to squeal something like 'Weeeeeeeeee twisty goodness' or 'Loop Dee loooop'? Yeah, I think I might find that mildly irritating.
So I'm about a B, I reckon.
Ah, now I’m definitely a D. to answer my own OP. But that’s when it comes to screaming (or maniacal laughter). I’m even fine with a little shouting, like right before a drop: “Ohnoohnohnoohno, oh my Gooooo-AAAAAAAH!!!!” etc. I can even handle a cliched “We’re going to die” here and there.

HOWEVER, what I don’t like is that special kind of extremely dorky banter that roller coasters bring out in some people, people who shout-talk giddy-toned but nerdy “witticisms” all the way through. And yes, the certain someone you’re referring to is the perfect example of that in a grown man. Cringe.

On another note, I don’t like when people shout obscenities, either, and that’s because there are always younger kids on coasters.

Edward M

Strata Poster
The only case where someone screaming would bother me is when the ride isn’t doing anything thrilling (on lift hill or brake run). When the coaster actually gets going, I’m fine with pretty much all screaming as long as it’s not deafening and right behind me.

So B I guess.