What's new

Nanning: Photo Trip Report

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
No, Nanning isn’t a weird sexual fetish involving women of a more mature vintage, but rather a city in China.

I wanted to go away for a weekend since the last couple of weeks I’ve been able to get out of work early, and flight times and prices worked out really well. The flight was only 80 minutes from here, and although I knew nothing about the place whatsoever, I like just trying out new places. Plus, there were a few creds scattered around, so, you know.

Disclaimer: This report contains absolutely no "crazy", "zany" or otherwise "insane" behaviour. There are also no coasters of any note whatsoever.

Day 1

Well, day two really since I got in on Friday evening, but I literally just went out for drinks near my hotel (4*, £30 a night; thanks China!) and then headed out the next day, a Saturday, sometime around 11 o’clock. I wanted to have a bit of a look around the city, so walked in the general direction of the first park, which was actually pretty far, but it means I got to see more and I knew I wouldn’t need much time at each place.

This park, Nanhu Park, didn’t have any coasters, but I had a quick look to make sure. It was really nice though, and absolutely huge.

SAM_0001_zps27424182.jpg

SAM_0004_zps52754fe5.jpg

The lake in the middle, and the waterways leading into it, was packed with fountain nozzles, but nothing was switched on. It looked like it could have been really impressive though.

SAM_0008_zpsec8ce47e.jpg

SAM_0013_zps448c2975.jpg

I’ll just point out that the weather was s**te for the whole weekend. It rained constantly, though not heavily, so it makes the whole place look really drab in the pictures, but it was actually quite nice. Some central square kind of area a bit further down the road:

SAM_0018_zps8d9af203.jpg

SAM_0022_zps152a617f.jpg

SAM_0026_zpsdab90ec0.jpg

Further on still was Minge Lake.

SAM_0027_zps3b96f924.jpg

As expected, it was wet, didn’t smell great and I’ve no intention of ever going there again.

SAM_0030_zps005a40d6.jpg

SAM_0031_zps0896b8d5.jpg

SAM_0035_zpsa5594f31.jpg

SAM_0039_zps95ac31d7.jpg

Carrying on then, and we eventually get to some coasters. I’d been walking for a good couple of hours by this point. Get ready for a wonderful exclusive of this amazing park. RCDB doesn’t even pictures yet.

Shimen Forest Park

This was just your typical city park with a less than inspiring entrance.

SAM_0042_zps8b695b66.jpg

Checking the map, I figured that I wanted to be heading to The Cherry Blossom Valley Theme Paradise.

SAM_0044_zps1e1adb6d.jpg

As expected, the park itself was really pleasant. The Chinese do these parks very well. Cities are full of them, they can be enormous, they’re free and the upkeep is usually excellent.

SAM_0050_zpse0b5dea4.jpg

This house up on the hill was less “Mulan” and more “Addams Family”:

SAM_0051_zps1382735b.jpg

Anyway, Cherry Blossom Vally Theme Paradise wasn’t – for a change - far from the entrance I used. These parks usually have multiple entrances since they can be huge, and I invariably end up choosing the wrong one and having to trek across the whole thing to get to the creds.

SAM_0059_zpsbb2d2b6e.jpg

SAM_0058_zps9d48b7d9.jpg

SAM_0054_zps35eaf362.jpg

Not really much of a Theme Paradise then. To be fair, it was nicer than a lot of these kinds of places. It actually had grass and wasn’t just crammed into an ugly concrete corner of an otherwise gorgeous park. It was totally dead though, which was surprising given that it was a Saturday and these parks tend to get a fair few people in them at weekends. As I said before though, the weather was crap, so I guess if you live in the city, you just wouldn’t bother going out in it, and I’m guessing that Nanning doesn’t have much of a tourism scene.

Coasters then.

SAM_0062_zpsf6a62ada.jpg

First up was a powered dragon.

SAM_0061_zpseab221b6.jpg

This was followed by a jungle mouse.

SAM_0053_zps8ac6031d.jpg

SAM_0056_zpsed9da57e.jpg

SAM_0064_zps6104a20f.jpg

More of these little Chinese fairgrounds need to get this combination of coasters. Currently, only about 90% of them seem to have it.

The next park was only about a 15 minute walk away. I was expecting nothing at all, and was actually worried I might not even find it as it doesn’t show up on Google maps at all. There’s not even a label in Chinese, so I thought that there may be some incorrect information on RCDB or something.

Fengling Children’s Park

It turns out that the place is absolutely enormous, with quite a bit of stuff scattered over a hill in different areas. I went in through some side entrance and had to walk pretty far up the hill before I got to anything.

SAM_0068_zpsb7abc8a3.jpg

SAM_0070_zps603fee0a.jpg

The whole place was really nice, with really nice landscaping and music being pumped out through hidden speakers. There was an enormous Ferris wheel which I thought at first was closed, but it was actually just moving stupidly slowly.

SAM_0074_zps31e345a0.jpg

The first coaster was just one of those Golden Horse space car things.

SAM_0075_zpsdb6e92d0.jpg

At first, I thought the second coaster listed on RCDB wasn’t here, but it was just in a totally different area that couldn’t be seen from where I was. I’d assumed that all the rides would be shoved in the same area, but they were actually quite spread out.

I thought about going on the Ferris wheel, but it was around 3pm by this point, and I had a flight to catch at 8pm the following day.

SAM_0080_zpsd8072de7.jpg

Instead I headed in the direction of Magic Kingdom and Waterpark in the Back Door.

SAM_0082_zps95a2beec.jpg

SAM_0113_zps86d29c37.jpg

SAM_0088_zpsb114173f.jpg

I didn’t get pictures, but the waterpark (closed for the winter) was absolutely huge with craploads of slides and what must’ve been an enormous wave pool. Some other rides dotted about:

SAM_0086_zps009ff478.jpg

SAM_0092_zps0ecd4a2d.jpg

I’ve seen a few of these Lanuch Towers now.

SAM_0094_zps0fc103ee.jpg

The second coaster was a Golden Horse spinner. I was ecstatic.

SAM_0089_zpsfbfe1958.jpg

SAM_0090_zpseca1ba99.jpg

Heading back down the hill, on the same side but further along from where I’d come in, I ended up at the main entrance area with a few other basic rides.

SAM_0104_zps4324686d.jpg

SAM_0099_zps32e46ecb.jpg

SAM_0100_zpsd74292ee.jpg

Chic, c’est la vie.

SAM_0101_zpsb0b27a27.jpg

SAM_0101_zpsb0b27a27.jpg

The park map shows another coaster near the spinner, which looks to be a basic knockoff looper, and is listed as “Roller Coaster (Planning)”, so no idea when that’s happening.

SAM_0108_zps02192368.jpg

So yeah, despite no decent coasters, this place was actually decent and was clearly a self-contained amusement park as opposed to the city park with rides I’d been expecting. Later that evening, I actually saw it advertised on a big screen in the city, seemingly offering some all-inclusive thing for about £6 between 5pm-11pm, though I can’t be sure.

The final park for the day was much too far to walk, so I got a taxi which took about 40 minutes thanks to crappy traffic. It probably would’ve take half that otherwise.

Shishan Park

And we’re back to a city park with some crap squeezed in. I’m not going to write any more about it, but I’ll just shove some pictures in. Getting my second jungle mouse of the day was amazing. I may have to post about it in that “WOW Moments!” topic; it’d be more interesting that a lot of the s**t going in there so far anyway.

SAM_0115_zps62b0fa69.jpg

SAM_0117_zpsd360269a.jpg

SAM_0119_zpsafb4e8d6.jpg

SAM_0122_zps993f1a1c.jpg

SAM_0125_zpsdc23964a.jpg

SAM_0126_zps1102bc00.jpg

SAM_0127_zps3069ec95.jpg

SAM_0128_zps9ef693bd.jpg

I went back to the hotel, had some drinks and went out again that night. I’ll get the second day up later if I can actually be arsed making the effort to write about even more generic Chinese s**te.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Thanks for sharing Gav, I love that you were actually interested at the beginning and then just thought "**** it" when you started writing about **** - shan park.

gavin said:

Erm, what is this?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^It's a Tagada.

They're basically EVERYWHERE in these small, Chinese parks. They spin around and then bump up and down. Some of them have seats around the edge (no restraints though), but a lot of the Chinese ones don't. Blackpool used to have one, but they're the sort of thing that you couldn't get away with in the UK now for health and safety reasons.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Here's what they do:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYAJhP4ktGw[/youtube]

The Chinese ones aren't generally as violent though, but they also have no seats.

Lofty

CF Legend
Tagadas <3

tumblr_mcd49jLvDY1ql5yr7o1_400.gif

The fact you have a report that managed to quite THE COUNTESS is amazing <3

Nanning actually looks really nice compared to some of the other Chinese cities that you've reported about. It seems that they care a bit more about their greenery and park spaces.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Are those Tagada things similar to what was in the spooky hotel at Blackpool PB?
gavin said:

SAM_0027_zps3b96f924.jpg

As expected, it was wet, didn’t smell great and I’ve no intention of ever going there again.
Yes, Gavin, that did appeal to my sense of humour and I did an actual LOL.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
The first line of this report and Minge lake both gave me a chuckle. Thanks for cheering up my Friday at work Gavin. I'm surprised - Nanning looks quite nice! Shame the weather wasn't better for you but it has to be better than stifling heat surely?

davidm

Strata Poster
...and now I know where "Nanning" is. Gavin is such an educator - do keep up the good work searching out those WOW moments and/or jungle mice.

Gazza

Giga Poster
Ian said:
Are those Tagada things similar to what was in the spooky hotel at Blackpool PB?
gavin said:

SAM_0027_zps3b96f924.jpg

Yes, Gavin, that did appeal to my sense of humour and I did an actual LOL.

And the lake was full of unseen fish too I presume?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Ian said:

Exactly. I remember as a kid seeing the old Tagada thing at Blackpool before it was enclosed, and from memory it seemed to run just as all the others, with people sitting unrestrained around the edges and clinging on. I rode it after it had become park of that Trauma Towers thing, and it was very, very tame. I'm sure I remember there being restraints on it (can't be certain though), and it really didn't seem to buck up and down very much, just spin a bit. Apparently the ride is still just sitting in there.

Day Two

I woke up late and checked out of the hotel just after 12. My flight wasn’t until about half seven that evening, so I had the full afternoon to mop up some remaining coasters.

People’s Park

Pretty much every Chinese city has a park called People’s Park, and pretty much all of them have amusement park areas. Like the day before, the weather was ****, but the park was nice.

SAM_0134_zpsa0928076.jpg

SAM_0137_zps45b1e8cb.jpg

SAM_0141_zps448b0f9e.jpg

SAM_0183_zpsd67dc8fe.jpg

SAM_0179_zpsf1eccb66.jpg

SAM_0181_zpsfd543298.jpg

Back home, “Children’s Playground” would indicate a chewing-gum-covered slide and some broken swings. In China, it usually means CREDZ.

SAM_0136_zps39cd398c.jpg

SAM_0142_zps78b2fa3e.jpg

The amusement park area was pretty big at this place and had quite a lot of stuff squeezed in. There was the usual selection of knockoff flat rides and other miscellaneous tat lying around.

SAM_0175_zps5bd76696.jpg

SAM_0173_zps1fee8366.jpg

SAM_0152_zps570383a7.jpg

SAM_0153_zps1448e92b.jpg

SAM_0159_zps2e419176.jpg

SAM_0161_zps706eb5df.jpg

SAM_0158_zps7c51200a.jpg

SAM_0166_zps10124b0f.jpg

SAM_0167_zps062cf6f0.jpg

SAM_0170_zps62d95194.jpg

SAM_0169_zpsc63256db.jpg

At first I thought this kiddy ride had some of the most ridiculously over-the-top theming ever, but then realised that the building behind it was a natural history museum.

SAM_0163_zpsfdcf5bf7.jpg

The first coaster was another Golden Horse Space Car, identical to the one the previous day. These things are popping up pretty much everywhere now.

SAM_0149_zps5be68160.jpg

SAM_0147_zps4d4d595c.jpg

The looper was hard to get pictures of since it was hidden away behind fences and trees. I’ve done a few of these now, and they’re absolutely vile.

SAM_0155_zps41e5a2f3.jpg

SAM_0164_zpsd2565870.jpg

SAM_0156_zps1b543295.jpg

SAM_0157_zpsfcc1aacc.jpg

The visit was rounded off with another Golden Horse spinner. I’ll never see the sense of parks here having such similar ride selections to places literally a couple of miles down the road.

SAM_0143_zps653e19bd.jpg

SAM_0172_zps69d9c75c.jpg

So yeah, just another typical city park with a few rides then, followed by a taxi ride up to the next, and final, park of the weekend.

Nanning Zoo

The rain had really picked up at this point, so I didn’t spend a great deal of time trying to take pictures. As far as Chinese zoos go, this one was mostly pretty decent, with large, well-landscaped enclosures for most of the animals. Because of the weather though, a lot of them were just hiding inside and there was nothing of any real note anyway that you couldn’t see in pretty much any zoo.

They had a pretty impressive crocodile exhibit though, with low bridges crossing a big pool filled with absolutely loads of crocodiles.

SAM_0211_zpsb5a19d65.jpg

SAM_0210_zps612a3756.jpg

SAM_0185_zps5ea6575a.jpg

There was also a huge waterpark here, closed for winter, but really impressive with absolutely loads of slides. It’s weird that the city had two major water parks within a half hour drive of each other, but no decent amusement park yet.

SAM_0188_zps97bf9eb6.jpg

I didn’t see the dolphin show.

SAM_0189_zpsc6a821d3.jpg

The amusement park section was easily the best that I’ve seen in a Chinese zoo so far though. A lot of them seem to have them, but this one was a bit more substantial with much more major rides.

SAM_0196_zps396e8b6e.jpg

SAM_0202_zpscee5f723.jpg

SAM_0204_zpsf27ea322.jpg

SAM_0207_zpsccf77976.jpg

SAM_0206_zps58d015ad.jpg

There were two coasters here, both of which seemed to have been recently repainted. The whole zoo and amusement park was kept up much better than the majority of these kinds of places that I’ve seen.

First up was a knock-off spinner, but instead of the usual Golden Horse knockoff of the Maurer model, this was one of the rarer – though I’m sure to become a lot more common – Beijing Jiuhua knockoffs of the Reverchon/Zamperla type.

SAM_0191_zpsf2ef95cc.jpg

SAM_0193_zps72a5ce17.jpg

These ride the same as the Reverchon versions, meaning that they’re gash.

SAM_0192_zps8b4e09b7.jpg

The second coaster was a typical Chinese loopscrew thing. These are usually ok to be honest. They tend to be better than an old Arrow/Vekoma version simply because they’re a lot newer. They’re still not good by any stretch though.

SAM_0205_zps83366b1a.jpg

SAM_0198_zps94056c38.jpg

SAM_0200_zps1181f091.jpg

Since the weather was crap and I didn’t really have much of a plan to do anything else, I ended up heading down to the airport pretty early really. It’s about a 45 minute drive from the city, so by the time I got there, I didn’t have a huge amount of time to kill. I didn’t take any pictures, but the airport must be very new and was really decent as far as airports go.

Nanning was an ok sort of place really. There’s nothing that really stands out about it to make it worth making a massive effort for, but it was nice enough and was an easy and cheap weekend away from here. It was also an easy +10 to the coaster count as the parks aren’t all stupidly spread out everywhere.

For a city of 3 million people though, it seems strange not to have a proper theme park yet though. I really wouldn’t be surprised to see Fantawild or Wanda fixing that soon though as it seems ripe for a decent park.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Love the report as usual, Gavin.

I'm sure I've seen Tagadas at travelling fairs in the UK, I could be mistaken, but the name, and what they look like seem really familiar.

These Chinese city parks look so beautiful with their gardens and lakes, I'd imagine seeing them on a bright day, they come close to breathtaking...but if you're used to them then I suppose not? :p

Rachel

Coaster MILF
I love reading about these parks in cities i've never even heard of!

Cheers for sharing another great report Gavin.