What's new

Coasters that Deserve/Got a Second Chance

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Have you ever ridden a coaster, ended up not liking it, but end up continuing to hear hype for it and decide that maybe you got a bad ride and want to take it for another spin? Maybe your complaint seemed to surprise people who swear up and down that it never does that, maybe it was in a bad season, or maybe you were an inexperienced enthusiast that simply didn't know what you were looking for? I have a few...

Intimidator 305 [SINCE RERIDDEN]- This was literally one of the very first coasters I rode as an enthusiast in 2010 when I got into the fandom and while the mechanisms and hardware at work on the ride captivated me, I actually thought Volcano was better. As I grew into the hobby I realized that while a coaster is "supposed" to be good if it dishes out a lot of positive force, I quickly realized there are things I find way more interesting in a ride, and it fell out of my primitive top ten like a brick. But I keep hearing people rave about how it has "ejector," the transitions, and when I consider that it was still trimmed in 2010, I had been wanting to give it another go to see if I could maybe appreciate it a bit more. Sadly, even though I recently rerode it three times last month, it just isn't something I find interesting. If you like positive force, it's great. But in terms of violence and airtime, a little GCI could easily show this gentle giant who's boss. Best drop on a giga I'll give it that, but it's trash otherwise.

X2- I rode this on my first "proper" big trip (#VegasLA2014, the one that inspired me to do PA and NE and all that) in 2014 and my cousin was telling me all kinds of things about this coaster. So when we first drove into SFMM and I saw this big imposing black and red thing towering over us with all this complex mechanical crap going that was spitting fire at us, I could see right away why this coaster had stigma to it. Well I rode it and while it was the first coaster I've ever been on to actually scare me, it was god awful. That rack/pinion system, while innovative, simply doesn't work as well in practice as it should. There was all kinds of space between the teeth of the seat flipping mechanism and every time it needed to pull off some sort of major rotation, it violently bucked about three degrees each way as it flipped, causing me to slam my head against the hard seatback god knows how many times. I didn't appreciate being whacked in the head so many times by this death trap but every time I tell another enthusiast, they claim to have never had that problem. This guy Skyler I know from Facebook has told me that it has rotational suspension that sometimes causes it to oscillate on rotation but other than that, I've never heard of anyone else having the problem. Maybe I'd get a better ride on it in the future?

Nitro [SINCE RERIDDEN]- I keep hearing this is the best B&M hyper, and Emily heard the same but said it let her down. Well I rode it in 2016 on #NE2k16 and I was expecting at least standard B&M airtime. Nothing insane like Fury, but at least standard airtime like you'd find on Intimidator. The second I hit that first air hill I immediately wondered what airtime all these Great Adventure people were talking about. This was by far the worst B&M hyper I had ever ridden, in addition to the unrefined jerkiness you can get on an older B&M, the thing had zero airtime. It was like sitting in an armchair as we barely made it over each hill. I even rode it three times in the evening and it still wasn't getting us out of our seats. The thing barely even lifted us. Well I got back home, told people it was a weak ride, and found out that it has good and bad days. This year when I went back to SFGAdv, I was a bit sad to find out it was down most of the morning when I was driving over but when cleaning the park out with the Green Lantern cred, we saw it test! It had just rained and it should have been running well. Once we were all seated, Celia even told me, "don't get too comfy in that seat, you won't be in it very long." And again, it barely got either of us out of our seats and I walked off thinking it was still lame, so we went to Skull Mountain. :p

TLARides

Hyper Poster
Honestly, Millennium Force.

The ride was so hyped and everything before I rode it last summer. It seemed like it'd be a neat ride.

But I just didn't enjoy it.

The two large hills didn't give as much airtime as I expected, but that's probably because I had my lap bar as far down as I could get it to secure my phone. And I expected a lot more force than I got.

But as I leave (after doing a night ride for my second ride on it that same day), people around me are like "Dude, Millennium Force was so good!" And "Wow, did you see how much we floated in our seats?!" And it made me think maybe I just had the lap bar in the wrong place, or I'm just not noticing the airtime or forces.

So it's MF and The Beast.

Why Beast? It's gotten so much rougher from when I first rode it when I was 12 or 13 (I'm 15 now). No matter where I ride it, it's always super rough.

But when I ask people how rough they thought the ride was, they say it wasn't rough at all and it glided over everything (warning: exaggeration detected).

Maybe it's just how I let myself be loose on rides? I really don't know. Everyone has a different experience on a ride and it just so happens that I got the rough experience.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

IG9887

Roller Poster
Agree 100% on I305. It just didnt seem to have what everyone said it did. Outside of that personally, I dont have anything else atm. I do think though that some rides out there need to be given a second chance because they are actually a decent ride (Looking at you Hersheys GCIs)

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Raging Bull for me. I keep giving it more chances and it still continues to let me down. Less airtime, less forces, and just less of everything. The drop is still phenomenal though.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Bat Fastard

Hyper Poster
Definitely the Voyage for me. 2016 I rode it for the first time. I enjoyed it but wasn't blown away. Rode it many times at Holiwood Nights this year and it jumped tremendously. Night ERT with no trims is pure bliss.

The coaster that comes to mind immediately is Banshee. I only rode it once in 2015 and really didn't like it, but after continuously hearing such good things about it and that "one train is rough and delivers a bad ride," I decided to ride it again this year. Welp, I rode it in the back and the front of both trains and I hated it. Some things never change! But at least I can say I gave it a fair chance.

I find with many RMCs, they take a few rides to appreciate. So I try to ride them more than once, because coasters like Iron Rattler didn't blow me away until after two or three rides. Shame we only got to do NTG once, because maybe that would have been higher in my rankings had I been on it a few more times.

Edward M

Strata Poster
I find with many RMCs, they take a few rides to appreciate. So I try to ride them more than once, because coasters like Iron Rattler didn't blow me away until after two or three rides. Shame we only got to do NTG once, because maybe that would have been higher in my rankings had I been on it a few more times.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. My current lowest two RMCs (Twisted Colossus and Iron Rattler) I only got one ride on. I think Twisted Colossus would stay in nearly the same place, but I really hope I can get to ride Iron Rattler multiple times to really get a better opinion on it. So many people have rave reviews, and I thought it had multiple amazing moments. I didn't fall in love with either Lightning Rod or Outlaw Run until my second or third ride. I've found this to be true with any ride. Be it a dark ride or a roller coaster. Many rides in the current outskirts of my top 10 (El Toro, Shambhala, Nitro, Top Thrill Dragster) I only got one ride. I'm hoping I'll grow to enjoy them more when I'm able to ride them more times. The only rides I rank very high that I only rode once were X2 and Flight of Passage. However, they were both such different experiences to anything I had done that I think the one ride fit them well.

Hutch

Strata Poster
I definitely would like to try Voyage again, as it wasn't as good as everyone made it out to be. I still believe that it can be amazing.

Banshee was another that came to mind. Although I do feel like I've ridden it enough times to have a proper feeling about it (it's me least favorite B&M Invert), maybe a few more rides would change my opinion.

Kingda Ka is another one. If I'm gonna ride it again, I'd try the front, because supposedly that's the only bearable seat on the train.