What's new

Butterflys Are Not Roller Coasters

Ben

CF Legend
I mean, they're really not, can we talk about this?

I've been updating my count lately and taken off things that are considered borderline, including Nautic Jets, but why oh why are Butterflys counted?

The only characteristic they have of a roller coaster is they "coast", but not on a proper track, not with proper cars, not in any way that we define any other roller coaster.

So why do these get a free pass but other things that coast and have track (the same track, re, Nautics, or Ridge Riders) get dismissed?

People I have asked say the manufacturer calls them a coaster... I call BS. http://www.sunkidworld.com/sunkid-produkte0/sunkid-summer-world0/butterfly-freizeittechnik.html

It's play equipment! Who's with me!

I'd like to also go on record as saying I will NOT be adding the one at Skyline.

And as it's my topic noone is allowed to cop out and say "because they're on Coaster-Count".

ThomVD

Giga Poster
I don't count either Nautic Jets or Butterflies, so I agree with you there. My rule is: If it feels like a coaster, I count it. Some water creds feel like a coaster, like Atlantica at Europa Park. Powered creds also feel like coasters to me. Alpine coasters, butterflies, etc. don't.

TilenB

Strata Poster
'Finally' somebody that agrees with me. These things are not coasters, they are just too basic and sketchy to be considered proper coasters. The tracks are that of a coaster, the trains are even less... Also, I'm yet to stumble upon a park that would call theirs a coaster. It's only some enthusiasts that have come up with these being a coaster and started counting them as ones... They are the same sort of crap as Disk'Os and those Larson Looping things in my books...

Ben

CF Legend
^Disk'Os are a fantastic comparison actually!

Why are these coasters but Disk'Os not powered coasters?

They have the exact same qualities of a "coaster", so why aren't they?

Because they're Flat Rides.

So why are Butterflys?

They're not, that's why.

I feel validated to find people who agree with me.

mouse

Giga Poster
Ben said:
And as it's my topic noone is allowed to cop out and say "because they're on Coaster-Count".
How about because they're on rcdb?
I can kinda understand how they would be justified as coasters as they do coast and they're often listed as them, but I personally wouldn't count them as a cred.

Smithy

Strata Poster
I mean I agree with you entirely but when you try and put it into words it's quite difficult to argue against, it operates in exactly the same way a boomerang coaster does.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Disk O's are more creds than butterflies but butterflies are on coaster-hypen count and I am a whore so I count the butterflies. It's all I can do to not count disk o coasters.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Ben said:
Jordanovichy said:
but butterflies are on coaster-hypen count

What did I say, sheep.

Give me an actual reason or you're not allowed to count them.

They coast with their own power. Ok so they don't have a proper track, neither does a bobsled, it just does down and up and down and up on it's own momentum. Therefore, cred.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Water coasters are not on RCDB, so stop counting those as well if that's your logic :p

RCDB was foolish to include Butterflies and in Coaster Count you can choose to disable butterflies too, so there is no reason to count them other then just being a little pathetic cred whore.

Jordan, do you count Chiapas as well? It goes up and down as well powered by gravity, even though it doesn't have a proper track.

Smithy

Strata Poster
From the video, it runs on wheels, coasts under it's own power and goes uphill under it's own power.

It operates in an identical way to a boomerang.

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster
Water coasters are on RCDB, I don't know which ones you are talking about then. I count whatever is on RCDB plus Alpine Coasters. I've never been on a Butterfly and don't think I will be riding one any time soon so I don't really have to bother with them.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
ThomVD said:
Jordan, do you count Chiapas as well? It goes up and down as well powered by gravity, even though it doesn't have a proper track.

No because it isn't on Coaster-count...but it so is a cred ;)

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Many water coasters aren't on RCDB. The one in Plopsaland de Panne, Klotten and Cinecitta to name a few.

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster
They still have some on there like the ones at SeaWorld, Poseidon, and Skatteøen along with some others. They should add all of them or get rid of the ones they have.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Hence why I don't use RCDB to count my creds, they don't have travelling creds, and they thin Southport closed in 2006. I'll stick to coaster-count :p

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster
Thats why I love CC I wouldn't of gotten all 8 of the traveling creds I have without them. <3 Plus the 4 alpines also. Probably wouldn't of known about those either.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
I don't count Alpine coasters either, they don't seem coaster-y to me. I do count traveling creds because a cred is a cred, whether it's permanent or not.

Ben

CF Legend
Jordanovichy said:
Ben said:
Jordanovichy said:
but butterflies are on coaster-hypen count

What did I say, sheep.

Give me an actual reason or you're not allowed to count them.

They coast with their own power. Ok so they don't have a proper track, neither does a bobsled, it just does down and up and down and up on it's own momentum. Therefore, cred.

So why do powered coasters count?

And what's stopping me sitting on a skateboard, going down a hill and then up another, and counting it?