What's new

A Tale of Two Towers

metalhead7

Mega Poster
A while ago I had an idea for a spinning coaster whose blueprint was larger vertically than horizontally. The idea was to support the ride between two towers, but I made the mistake of designing the track before the towers and soon enough the whole thing fell apart. I've decided to try it again but this time to create the towers first and then the ride after.

While I was building the towers I realized this might be a good idea for a competition. The idea behind this would be that you can only use the 32 foundation nodes at the base of the towers to support the ride, and everything must be built off of that structure. If any of you are interested in doing this as a competition let me know. If so I will try to round up some judges and try my best to run it similarly to the other comps on this site, if not I will just post construction updates and eventually my finished product here.

This is my rough idea for the two towers. Let me know if you would like to see something different. I will probably begin track work tomorrow.

1mhmIRM.png

Hutch

Strata Poster
Interesting idea. But something like this may be a little too complicated for me since I am an amateur NL builder. I would like to see what others come up with.

metalhead7

Mega Poster
If it were a competition these supports would be given, then designers would have the choice to either keep them as is, or change them any way they want, so long as the foundations are in the same spot

metalhead7

Mega Poster
Due to lack of interest I wont make this a competition and will just post construction updates here.

Designing this is much more difficult than I first thought but here some of the track work I've finished.

fhxn5qN.jpg

20KbOvy.jpg

Ethan

Strata Poster
You could just do a competition (which allows tools), where you have to create a coaster that is taller than it is wider?

SFOGRICH

Roller Poster
If it were a comp, would you have the choice of which type of coaster to make it? At first glance, it looks like it might serve well for an inverted coaster, if the vertical supports are spaced widely enough apart to allow for 4-across trains.

metalhead7

Mega Poster
Yeah, the idea for the comp that I had would be that you could design any kind of ride but you only get 32 fundament nodes to support the coaster. I would probably give the towers as a template that people could change as they pleased, so long as no fundament nodes are added.

I'm not sure how I feel about tools, since I have a mac I hand build everything, but I understand that this is a really difficult build so I would probably allow them.