What's new

The John Lewis Christmas Advert (and christmas adverts in general)

mouse

Giga Poster
I'm just gonna put this out there, I love watching the John Lewis Christmas adverts each year. The excitement of knowing it will be released soon, the high pitched female covers of well known songs, and the sickening sentimentality of the story lines.

My favourite has to be 2011's offering:
A nice simple storyline with a good pay off at the end.

Second favourite would be The Bear and the Hare, often thought to be the greatest JL advert:
Great animation and storyline.

Runners up would be the 2012 one where a snowman gets a snowoman some gloves, and this year's offering about a dog who likes trampolines.

I know its all to sell stuff and make money, but I appreciate the adverts as pieces of film with story lines and production well thought-out. I particularly like that this year they've gone for something slightly different and a bit happier. Plus, come on, its a dog on a trampoline for ****s sake.

As for christmas adverts in general, I do enjoy watching them. Particularly like Audi's and Waitrose's this year - enjoying the competition between companies to produce the best advert.

I'm prepared for lots of cynical comments which is understandable, I get that its a load of soppy nonsense, but still, I like it.

Come on, its a dog on a trampoline.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I still think the 2011 one is the best. It tells a great story in such a short amount of time.

Plus, I kinda like the marketing idea behind "gifts you can't wait to give". It's elegance is in the simplicity. Great work by their marketing team!

davidm

Strata Poster
and I was suggesting that perhaps we could look a little beyond the cutesy-feel-good-ness of such advertising and consider the advertisers wider social-responsibilities. But if thats too difficult for you, heres a fluffy bunny to look at instead of thinking about such things.
tumblr_nz935kGmBw1rrk5zio1_500.jpg

mouse

Giga Poster
Omg it's wearing a santa hat I love it!

But also, yeah, didn't realise John Lewis advertised in the mail and it would be nice if they stopped. I support the stop funding hate campaign... But I also support dogs on trampolines. This is a tough one.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
My fav is the 2013 JL Christmas offering. I also loved the Sainsburys' 'Mog's Christmas Calamity' from last year

mouse

Giga Poster
Yeah it's terrible and like 6 hours long. The story is kinda crap and the singing by James Corden is annoying. I believe the song was written and directed by Brett Mckenzie from flight of the conchords, which is cool.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Be nice if John Lewis stopped funding hate as well wouldn't it?
(Like Lego have; nice one the Lego-ns ; http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37962425 )
Or, if you're going down that route, how about the fact that JL still buys from farms that allow fox hunting (some of the farms they use also lease land to terriermen whose dogs flush the foxes out of their dens).

In general JL are a pretty good company though. Absolutely great to their staff (my mum used to work for them and when she got ill they were beyond supportive), plus most Waitress own brands are cruelty-free. So yay!

Anyway, love a good soppy Christmas advert. Once they start to appear you know the countdown is upon us.

Last edited: