What's new

Thinking about getting NL2. Have some questions.

tbarnesarc

Roller Poster
I just noticed the NL2 is on sale via steam. I am thinking about picking up a copy to mess with but I have some questions.

1. Does it run well on Mac? I'm on a maxed out mid 2015 macbook pro for reference and it runs Lightroom, PS, and DaVinci Resolve just fine.
2. It seems that the Mac version has to be purchased via Steam. I don't know anything about Steam so does NL2 run inside it as some sort of modulation program? Or does it run natively on OSX?
3. Since I practice Architecture for a living I'm well versed in CAD and BIM programs like Acad, Revit, Sketchup etc and use to know Rhino as well. I'm guessing NL2 would be pretty easy for me to learn?
4. What do you think is the best youtube channel for getting the gist of how NL2 works?

Thanks in advance for any guidance. Much appreciated.
Cheers,
Taylor

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
1. Does it run well on Mac? I'm on a maxed out mid 2015 macbook pro for reference and it runs Lightroom, PS, and DaVinci Resolve just fine.
I'm afraid I've no idea about the performance, I've only ever run it on a mid/high end dekstop! :p
2. It seems that the Mac version has to be purchased via Steam. I don't know anything about Steam so does NL2 run inside it as some sort of modulation program? Or does it run natively on OSX?
Steam is just a client to buy and download the game. The game installs direct to the C:Drive (or equivalent on a Mac), and will boot directly itself. Think of Steam as just an online game store.
3. Since I practice Architecture for a living I'm well versed in CAD and BIM programs like Acad, Revit, Sketchup etc and use to know Rhino as well. I'm guessing NL2 would be pretty easy for me to learn?
I did briefly touch on this before in the other thread, but sort of. You'll probably get the hang of the navigation pretty quickly (although it works differently to Revit, which I too use a lot - mechanical engineer), but getting the hang of the track shaping and creation is basically going to be learning from scratch. It'll take practice, for sure!
4. What do you think is the best youtube channel for getting the gist of how NL2 works?
I started way back in the day with the original NL (and Hyper Rails before that!), so I've never actually used any video tutorials for "the basics" in NL2, but I've always thought CodeMaster has a good channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/RCT3TheCodeMaster

tbarnesarc

Roller Poster
Perfect. Appreciate the response Hixee. I'll probably go back to PC after my macbook pro has started to slow down. I now remember you touching on the AEC software bit. Woops, my bad. Cool to see another Revit user on here nonetheless. I'll check out that youtube channel you suggested if I decide to pick up a copy. Thanks again for the info!