What's new

Alton Towers | Wicker Man | GCI Wood

Will

Strata Poster
Some kind of reveal at the fireworks this weekend would make sense then - but at the same time, I'm going to lower my expectations still further.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I imagine that the logic behind the reveal date is that more often than not, their more successful attractions (in Merlin's definition of successful) have come from when they've done a reveal in January time (the middle of closed season pretty much), meaning people get the instant hype and get ready to book, etc. When they've done reveals earlier, the public lose interest or the novelty wears off, losing that big hit.

Things like Smiler and Ghost Train did build a lot of hype and did get people booking (even if they opened late, etc). And the drip fed stuff prior kept interest going for enthusiasts too. It works. Certainly moreso than things like Swarm and Zufari which weren't as popular in Merlin’s eyes.

I fully expect a reveal of a name / story / promo art in January. We'll get the generic teasers, clues and whatever to 'tease the geeks' until then. That seems pointless when the geeks know the name and stuff thanks to the Internet, but there you go.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
3:11 in the video, their looks to be regular anti-rollback teeth like on other GCI's. How do they plan on making that silent?

Dave

CF Legend
^ Believe it's done by an electro-magnet? Swear saw Millennium Force have something like that to cope with the high speed lifts?

Zek_Teh_Kek

Hyper Poster
^ Ya, the Millennium lift hill has an electromagnetic anti-rollback system in which as the train passes over, the little slot things open up and if the cable stops, it keeps the train from falling, just like a normal anti-rollback.

elephant58

Hyper Poster
Bit pointless but I've just noticed that the aerial shots from the ITV video kind of make the coaster look a bit more substantial:

stream_img.jpg

This photo just seems to make it look quite nice I think.

Will

Strata Poster
I hadn't heard of InvadR before, so just watched a video.
Wow, that looks like an uninspiring waste of wood...

Ben

CF Legend
Nah I agree - it looks much bigger in real life than it does in photos.

I think in real life it looks quite fun.

Lofty

CF Legend
Is there any music playing in the area at the moment? Haven't been myself so just wondering.
There was during ScareFest, they were playing The Welcoming's soundtrack (which is believed to be very similar to the final ride audio).

Bert2theSpark

Mega Poster
Is there any music playing in the area at the moment? Haven't been myself so just wondering.
There was the IMAScore Hertiage soundtrack playing on that SW8 pathway and a snippet of the SW8 soundtrack on the TV's and until Fireworks the Mutiny Bay music playing as well.

MakoMania

Mega Poster
When you see the ride in real life it looks like it will be a super fun attraction, but nothing scary if that's the theme they're going down.