What's new

What exactly is theming?

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I started to reply in Benin's excellent topic but then I realised that I was going off on a tangent so I decided to create my own.

What is theme?

Theming is the "the use of an overarching theme, such as western, to create a holistic and integrated spatial organization of a consumer venue.
Scott A. Lukas, “The Themed Space: Locating Culture, Nation, and Self” 2007

Take a look at the glorious rides that Disney have created, such as Big Thunder Mountain. You could be fooled into thinking you were actually in the wild west on a runaway mine cart on a mountain. Amazing!

Nobody comes close to Disney in terms of theme and probably never will do.

So just for this topic, imagine a world where Disney doesn't exist.

What exactly is theming?

Is the giant Pepsi Max drinks can on The Big One at Blackpool theming? What about the tunnel and over-water part on Maverick at Cedar Point? Is that theming?

What about "natural theming" found on rides that use their surroundings? Is Nemesis' large trench themeing? Do the trees within Treetop Coaster's (Oakwood) footprint count?

Sounds - Does the 50's soundtrack on Stealth at Thorpe park really count as theme? Does "Don't Look Down!" on Oblivion make the ride better?

As enthusiasts we often cite theming as an important part of a ride and in some cases, it can make or break a ride.

The questions that I asked above are just examples to introduce this topic and to get you thinking so they do not need to be answered, but I would really like to know what you think constitutes as theming, preferably with examples and if stuff like oversized drink cans and the sound effects add to the ride.

I dunno, to me theming is the park making an effort to make the ride look nice. Obviously if you actually feel like your in a place, the more immersive the theming is and thus, more impressive, but if parks wanna put rides over water or rides in trenches, that's fine with me too, because to me, atmosphere is better than theming anyway, so as long as the area looks nice, it's all good. Sound effects and stuff are theming too, as they enhance the experience, and anything that makes the coaster better in my opinion, constitutes it as theming.

Glad to see you liked my topic Ian :D

Theming for me is anything that relates to the ride in question, for example, buildings that may surround it, statues at entrances and other such items...

Indeed, to a degree every ride has a theme, it's just a case of how much the park plays upon the ride...

For example, lots of rides at amusement parks has minimal if any theming, and indeed, sometimes this pays off, but only if it's consistent, which in turn relates to my topic...

A world without Disney setting the standard would be interesting, and possibly could expand the scope for other theme parks in order to improve their theming, but maybe it wouldn't... Chaos Theory is interesting...

I think I just went on a similar tangent Ian, so yeah, in the end, theming is mainly for me the surrounding area of the ride, buildings and stuff, rather than trees and landscaping unless the natural look is a much more essential park of the ride experience, like Nemesis...

What about "Anything that is intentionally placed near a ride or area to influence the (ride) experience, while not necessarliy required for (ride) operation"?

Should cover the most theming there is.

And how do you really spell the word? Theming or Themeing?

For me there are two types of theming on an attraction.

The first being immersive, so the area the attraction(s) is located in creates a sense of the theme, you feel you have entered a separate 'World' within the theme park. I would also place heavily themed queuelines under this sort of type of theming. Examples would probably be Ramses at Gardaland, Rattlesnake at Chessington and Anubis at Plopsaland. These rides, as well as many more, have made me feel like I have stepped into the World the attraction is based in.

The second would be simple bits of theming around the attraction to make the attraction stand out that little bit more from it's surroundings. More of a low budget affair that gives the ride an extra thrill or small story behind the name. Examples of this could be water jets or flame-throwers on top spin thrill rides, exaggerated signage for the attraction. Maybe even details painted onto the attraction or the way the train has been designed on a rollercoaster (for example, the trains on Manta at SeaWorld).

I do prefer theming to be quite immense and do prefer an attraction, or an area with a few attractions, to take me to a new land of discovery. An interesting queueline is always appreciated, especially on busy days when the ride has a stupid queue length.

I'm intrigued Ian by your questioning of landscaping as theming. I think in some cases it can be but I suppose it depends on other factors like what theme the attraction is based around. For example a kiddy coaster themed to a ladybird would be considered to have lots of theming if it was to meander around lush gardens or through an area populated by lots of trees as that would be seen as giving the rider an experience of being a ladybird flying around aimlessly.

Sound is also a very good point. An area playing background music can create a mood for the area. For example a spooky-themed area would have something creepy and disturbing in the background to create a sense of the attractions overall theme, take the Midnight Syndicate music played at Thorpe Park's Fright Nights as an example of this.

So yeah, it does add to the experience of the attraction but to how much detail etc is down to the type of attraction. A dark ride for example would be nothing if it was basically the rider sitting in a car shooting lasers at lights stuck to a blank wall in an empty warehouse.

I see theming like a film set. Anything that helps take me to the 'world/event/time' they are potraying I will count as theming.

So: Audio, Lighting, Building/object appearance, Landscaping, Effects, Atmosphere, Story.

Yes, landscaping is definatly in there. If its helping set the theme, then its theming. For example, Lost City (Colossus' area) is ancient civilization, once under the sea, now exposed on dry land. You would expect this to be overgrown with plants/trees and have rocks. Inferno is tropical volcano, you'd expect tropical plants in that enviroment.

Amity a good example in its hay day, a New England fishing village (Similar to Jaws) set in 1955 devistated by a tidal wave. I expect the ground and rocks to be torn up everywhere with overgrowing plants. The 50's tunes help set the era to guests without needing to say. The once working Gas ball, Watertower & Neon signs are awesome effects that show devistation. Neons is also iconic of the era. I haven't even gone into the buildings. Small details aswell like the powerlines are actually real poles from the 1950's. (but English post office poles lol).

A truely good theme would not make me feel like im in a park, but this other world. So wiring and speakers should be hidden. Or anything from the real world shall not be visible.

I just take theming as additional perks to make an experience more than it is, anything that interacts with your senses and emotions other than the ride itself. If something scares you i.e. Saw: The Ride that is theming to me, if something has an an aesthetic appeal to it asides from the ride itself is theming, if there is a soundtrack played to add effect to the ride (not chart music) it's theming to me.

The thing about theming that that sparks my mind; is that every ride has some form of it. Even if it's a "parking lot" ride, the theming comes from the rides name, or the location, yet we still judge rides by saying that they have no theming. Really we should judge the quality of the theming over the quantity.

For me ride theming makes you feel part of a story and adds to the experience.

Space Mountain for example from the second you enter the queue you feel your a space mission. BTM makes you feel like your in the wild west etc. The Black Hole at Alton was the same as well. The Mummy rides are also so well themed you feel like your in a tomb and part of the story. All the coasters I have mentioned would be nothing without the theme.

Now this is where I am fussy, stations and queue line for me do not count as theming it has to be the whole ride or at least a good part of it.

To me, theming is anything added to a ride and the surrounding area specifically designed to enhance the experince and give it some kind of story or reason to be there that is consistant and specific to what the theme is.

Going to the first post, Nemesis' pit is not theming on it's own. The rivers of blood, station building, scenery, such as the gun, the music and the story aswell as the pit together are theming. Each of these elements would not be theming on their own, but put together they are because it gives the ride purpose.

Oblivion's 'don't look down' is not theming on it's own. Without a reason for it being there it is meaningless. Because the area contains consistant theming elements, such as the music and queue videos specifically designed for the ride, the drop and to intimidate you, the 'don't look down' can be considered part of the theming, because it is making a contribution to the overall and consistant theme.

I don't see PMBO's Pepsi can as theming. It does not enhance the ride, it is simply put there as an advert for the drink and to have the start of the ride in a tunnel. It is showing sponsorship, not theming. The ride is not themed to the drink, it is merely sponsored by it. If Pepsi dropped the sponsorship, the can would go or if another drink sponsored it, it would change aswell as maybe a new colour. All of that is dictated by the sponsor, not a theme. It is not themed to the drink. When you ride it, you can not see or feel a drink theme, but when you ride, for example, Nemesis, it is clear that the ride has a sci-fi alien, apocalyptic theme, because everything around the ride shows this.

If a ride has lots of random elements, that is not theming because it is not consistant and does not have a purpose.

If it is to be theming, it all has to work together to create the overall experience and contribute greatly. Natural scenery counts as theming only if it was deliberately put there to enhance the theme. If the ride just goes through trees for no reason, that is not really theming, just scenery.

As with most of the above, to me theming is anything done to a ride that is inessential to the ride operation, but improves in whatever small way the ambience of the ride, or builds an image. To that extent, the Pepsi Can is absolutely theming....trouble is in the UK, it's one of the better examples of theming, such is out contentment at ride planners 'just plonk it there' approach.

My answer shall be short, quick and hopefully definitive.

Themeing is simply visual, auditory or sensory things placed in the vicinity of a ride to give the influence that the ride has a story behind it and/or dwells in a certain part of this world or the fantastical world.

I think that covers it.

My definition of theming is something that takes you away from the here/now.
In other words, it has to establish a situation that is somehow out of the ordinary (Ignoring that the ride itself is out of the ordinary)

For me, the quality of the theme can be measured by how well it takes you away from the here/now.

So, I'd consider themed attractions to be ones like Nemesis, Saw, Oblivion, Rattlesnake, Duel etc....Respectivley you are in a post apocalyptic area, in a scary and tortuous warehouse, in a top secret military area, in a goldmine, in a bizzare haunted house.

I'd consider non themed attractions to be ones like PMBO, Air, Scream etc.
PMBO isn't themed because its just a roller coaster sponsored by Pepsi.
Air isn't themed because all it has is a modern station building.
Scream is perhaps the least themed ride out there, built over a car park with a really simplistic station.

A-Kid said:
A truely good theme would not make me feel like im in a park, but this other world.

This is what I think the best theming in the world makes you feel, actually transports you to another world. Its rare to find it but when you do find it, its brilliant and its why some enthusiasts thrive on it. That feeling of going to another world cannot be experienced anywhere else apart from a theme park, which is why we are maybe enthusiasts to start with?

For me, the only place that has ever made me feel like this is a Disney park.

For example, at Thorpe do you truely feel like you are playing one of Saw's games on Saw:The ride? No.

Do you truely feel like you are on a 1950's drag race on Stealth? I don't.

Are you transformed to the futuristic X-sector, or the pre-historice Ug-land at Alton? No probably not a 100ft Oak tree doesn't help, neither does a 0-60 in 2 second racing car :lol:

I think that 'Natural theming' can also work too. Racing through the woods on Boulder Dash must be amazing for example.

I agree to that theming is supposed to make you feel like you enter another world. But many people in this forum uses the term 'over themed', and I don't agree to that more theming is always better..

Eg my favourit themed ride so far, Dragon Khan, is far from 'over themed'.. But it is placed in a very beautiful surrounding with the lawn and chinese wall in front making it a very impressive and majestic look. And when you're done it really feels like you have conquered the dragon! Simpel but efficient theming.

Somtimes you don't need to put several of millions on theming like Disney do, you can create magic anyways!

To me theming is as much to do as the track for a rollercoaster, or ride with a flat ride. It helps immerse you into another world, another experience, kind of like a small film set, to make you feel like you're in the story, it completes the experience.

IMO, theming should be done to the fullest extent.

Take Terminator Salvation for example. The movie is all about rough times (and fighting). I think they did a good job of choosing a wooden coaster, as it gives you the rough ride the movie was portraying. The theming in the station was also done very well, making riders feel like they were inside of a theoretical base.

Also, Disney has captured theming very well with their rides. Rock N Roller Coasters portray rock n roll very well. Same with their mine style rides.

I think it is the decoration around the ride, also the music, and the name of the ride. Oh and the station, like some coasters aare in a volcano, some are horror themed.