What's new

USJ Hollywood Dream... Backwards?

peep

CF Legend
So, doing some research on some Japanese parks and I come across some interesting news on the Universal Studios website. They are turning seats BACKWARDS on their B&M, Hollywood Dream. It starts on the 15th March this year.

If someone translates it and it does mean something else then let me know but the bits Google translate picks up plus the promotional image are saying the above.

http://www.usj.co.jp/spring2013/#hdr

Re: Those crazy Japs...

Backwards airtime! It's a good ride facing forward so it will be good facing the other way.

But... What?! That's ridiculous. The ride isn't meant to be unpredictable :(

I don't think it'll be permament, this sort of thing has happened before where the turn the train the other way around for a coupel of months then turn it back. Bandit at Yomiuriland ran backwards for a few months several years ago, and when I rode it one of the trains was doused by fire hoses. But it is still random as ****.

yomiuriland_18_tom_119.jpg

I wonder how B&M feel about this...

Would they care? Have they helped?

But.. How?

Unless they turn the whole train around, this won't work with the design of the train, seats and restraints =|

This fits quite well with the rumour that The Swarm's back row of seats will be reversed for 2013. I really hope not though.

Sounds awesome, I would assume B&M were in on it, and if they were, maybe we will see future hypers that are half forward, half backwards facing. Would be absolutely awesome.

I couldn't imagine going down Leviathan backwards. That would be insane. Though I do like the idea that some rows could face backwards.

I can see why backwards would work though as you would have no idea when the drops were coming etc.

I was one of the unlucky ones to do Indy in Paris backwards and spend most of the ride with my head turned trying to see what was going to happen next. Hated it and was not shocked when it went forwards in the end.

Also have a really nasty thought this Thorpe story is true after what's being done to other B&M's.

This won't happen though? The design of the B&M mega coaster trains would stop that.

It's not a simple matter of turning the seats around - wouldn't work due to the clamshell restraints.

Maybe turn the carriage around? Nope. The articulated train design of a B&M would stop that working (wheels at back of each carriage, with one extra set on the front, aka zero car).
9nmoig004rhb8hh5ohh071.jpg

And finally, the size of the seats would stop it. Even if you could somehow turn the carriage around, the tops of the seat would clash with the ones in front because there would not be enough clearance were the train to turn up the lift hill accent.

Not to mention these are the most complex of all trains built for the mega coaster with all its electronics.

No. Not happening.

Well, it IS happening...

index_p06.jpg

Ride is out of operation from 10th Jan - 11th March to make the changes.

See now this could be fun. I don't know why you'd want to do Batman backwards, but I could really see it being quite fun with this ride.

Again, will certainly be an interesting project to see.

So, B&M must be working with them, then...

Which makes the rumours about Six Flags and Thorpe Park actually like... Plausible.

Well wtf that was a surprise.

I had completely forgotten about Hollywood Dream being at a Universal Studios park... they so went the wrong way in Orlando with HRRR </3

When does the Saw license run out at Thorpe? Could it be to do with Saw or The Swarm?

And agreed about everything above tbh. It might work on the small hyper but not a wing coaster :L