What's new

Top 10(ish): 2024 Edition - page 124

Re: Top 10: 2013 Edition

Yeah... Though I wouldn't go as far as Gavin (but I've increased my coaster experience since).

Balder was actually the ride that made me think about my "top" being based on best rides. It confused the issue really so I stopped giving a toss ;)

Over two days, I rode Balder dozens of times. I have no idea how many at all, but it was hours of the time at Liseberg on the ride (no queues).

I had one absolutely blinding ride (middle of the train, which was odd). I could see on that one ride why people rated it so highly. It was just once though and I couldn't seem to replicate it. My main opinion of Balder was disappointment. Not "it was so over hyped and I'm so stupid I believe the hype and then get all sad faced because it's not as good as people made me believe" disappointment, but actual, on the ride frustration. Every time I started to get some great air, the ride killed it dead. Just all the time "I'm really loving this wahay... Eugh. Where did the fun go? Oh, here it comes again... No, it started, but never finished"

Two things.

1. I rode early in the season and while it wasn't cold, it wasn't warm either. So maybe the ride runs much better in better weather.

2. I rode the thing for hours. Literally, hours of my life over two days spent on a single ride. I've probably been on Balder more than any other coaster (except maybe Oblivion). If the ride was awful, there's no way I'd be repeating the experience. It's smooth, it's fun and it's fantastically re-ridable.

I preferred Lisebergbanana, but I couldn't ride it quite so much as the high-g's knackered my back :lol:

So yeah, I then tried to compare best ride to best ride and I found it just didn't really work out. Best ride on The Nash was not as good as best ride on Balder, but the majority of rides on The Nash and Megafobia were better and Balder didn't deserve a number 1 spot because it just couldn't consistently offer the ride the time I was there (and others have said the same since).

The oddest thing was that out of our group, there were a number (I'd say four people) who adored Balder and maybe five or six who thought it was seriously lacking.

What that taught me was that personal preference is the absolute most important thing. You cannot tell somebody they're wrong about a ride if it just so happens that it's pushing all their buttons. Everyone is different.

Balder was a strange one.

Thought it was dull but had to keep trying it to try and find out why it was so highly rated.

By the night it was running well, still not the best thing ever but good.

It just took all day to warm up despite running two trains all day.

It's not made my top 10.

I thought balder was a fun ride, that I'd be happy to reride, and would make a good addition to most parks, But I wouldn't put it in the same league as collossos, bizarro, Skyrush, mega lites and a number of others.

I'd say it was kind of grand national, but not trying to break your ribs anywhere!

(ps - I do love nash)

It seems to be a classic case of people going in with over the top expectations based on other people's opinions and then coming out disappointed when it isn't a "top 5" ride for them.

I thought Balder was a fantastic ride, smooth as glass and gliding over each hill like it was nothing giving some large pops of airtime throughout. Definitely a top 10 ride for me.

Amazing coaster. Just incredible. I thought that T Express and El Toro did have a bit more airtime, but Balder still has tons. I actually think Colossos is the one that falls behind because only the first 3 airtime hills are good. You WILL love it, I *99%* GURANTEE IT!

Mike said:
It seems to be a classic case of people going in with over the top expectations based on other people's opinions and then coming out disappointed when it isn't a "top 5" ride for them.
Indeed, I think that's why Raven was such a massive letdown. After so much over-hyping I was left with a "that's it?" and a massive headache.

Oh god from reading this I think I am the first one to say this, but since riding the Smiler there has been some serious contest within my top 10, but here it goes (With backing up)

1. The Smiler/Oblivion - The Smiler tops of the list because I love the length of the ride and the sheer amount of variety in the ride, but admittedly it is rough. Oblivion keeps top because that drop is amazing, there's nothing like it and no matter how many times I ride it, it never fails to impress!
2. Nemesis - Nemesis to me is a near perfect ride, great layout, forces and intensity, just lacks an amazing drop.
3. Swarm/Mraws - Can't explain why I love this ride so much, but it's really smooth and swoops through all it's elements with some force. Mraws is just as fun, and a really interesting way to ride it.
4. Stealth - Amazing launch which packs a punch, but doesn't really do much after. And I will not allow it to move up a spot until it graces me with a roll back.
-Massive jump in quality-
5. Saw - Good ride, with a brilliant first drop and some decent airtime in the latter half, but otherwise, its just kindof average. And that last inversion seems adamant on giving me spinal injuries...
6. Thirteen (Guilty Pleasure) - Now don't get me wrong, the outside section is awful, it lacks any thrill to it at all, but anyway, I love the drop tower section, it may not be powerful, but it's a good laugh.
7. Rita - Awful launch compared to Stealth, but a launch is a launch and is still fun, and sometimes gives off good airtime... Sometimes...
8. Nemesis Inferno - This ride seems to be really hit or miss as to weather you have a great ride or a bad one, but even on great rides it pales in comparison to Nemesis and thus always leaves me dissapointed.
9. Colossus - Surprisingly fun on the front row, but brain haemorrhage territory elsewhere, and the heartline rolls get dull after the first one.
10. Air - Ok ride, but the gimmick wears of quickly and other than the gimmick lacks any form of thrill.

Edit - Yes I really do need to up my cred count *hangs head in shame* Here's hoping for Shambhala, Dragon Khan, Blue Fire and Wodan to join that list relatively soon!

Mike said:

I thought Balder was a fantastic ride, smooth as glass and gliding over each hill like it was nothing giving some large pops of airtime throughout. Definitely a top 10 ride for me.

No, it isn't. Actually read what people have written :p

I ride every ride with a completely open mind. Yes, you do compare it to your "experience", but each ride I take on its own merit. Expedition GE Force everyone raves about - I agree. Boulder Dash - I agree. El Toro - I agree. Bizarro - I agree.

Either Balder has good days and bad days, or there's just something which doesn't work for some people. As I said, at least four people in our group thought it was utterly fantastic. The other thought it was fun, but nothing superb. There just wasn't any airtime - except on one run. It wasn't "oh, after 20 goes, I've suddenly forgotten how great everyone says it is and am only just now forming my own opinion". The airtime vanished then for the rest of the rides I had. Maybe I'd suddenly remembered I was supposed to be disappointed again?

Nah, it's just one of those. I can't understand why people don't think Nemesis is any good, but it doesn't mean I don't believe them or write them off as being unable to formulate a standard opinion of a coaster. I just understand that ride quality varies from time to time and people's own personal "button pushes" vary too (both in what pushes the buttons and exactly how powerful the button pushes need to be).

Like Baco, Balder is a ride everyone should go on to see what it does for them. Whether they love it or not, it's a well loved ride and people need to try it to form their own opinion :)

AquaTrax said:
Amazing coaster. Just incredible. I thought that T Express and El Toro did have a bit more airtime, but Balder still has tons. I actually think Colossos is the one that falls behind because only the first 3 airtime hills are good. You WILL love it, I *99%* GURANTEE IT!

Shush you - you're not helping ;) :p :lol:

Also bear in mind a lot of work was carried out on Balder before cf went on the live the other year.

Another coaster group said it was running like it used to when it opened.

We went the same year as Furie on a different trip though. I had never even spoken to Furie back then yet found the same things. Sounds like we got the ride at a time when it was not running well.

As much as I find the polls a joke, Balder did drop down the rating just like GeForce did. Once work was carried out on both they both went up in the ratings again.

So yes cf the other year could have experienced the ride in good condition and how it should ride.

I don't have a top ten tbh.

I no longer rate coasters as I found I was no longer enjoying riding.

When I did GeForce and Nemesis were joint 1st steel and colossus was my number 1 wood.

New rides for me this year (so far) are Thirteen, Jubilee Odyssey, Millenium Coaster, Crazy Mouse and Rhombus Rocket.

Thirteen was good. Not great by any means. Just a good, solid ride. Outside bit was very fun, just a shame it was so short. Drop is good. Better if you're riding with someone not expecting it. Bit in dark is longer than I expected. Just falls a bit flat with the wait for track to rotate at the end. Doubt it'll fit into my top ten, and given I've only ridden 49 coasters that's pretty average.

Jubilee Odyssey is an odd one to place. First go, mid train, first half of the ride was stunning. Drop was brilliant, loop was quick and forceful, cobra roll was smooth, and then after that it started to jerk a bit side to side and was a bit rough. Bareable, and certainly not anywhere near as painful as Infusion, but what you'd expect from a giant SLC really. Had to ride it again to get a better opinion of it. This time second row. Drop was even better, first half was just as good, but after that it just felt like it was shuffling through some of the latter inversions, so much so I almost felt like I was being punched in the back when the rest of the train caught up so to speak and pushed us forward with momentum.

Hard one to place. I'll go with 5. No doubt I'll change my mind on that before I finish this post.

Millenium Coaster lived up to it's expectations; it's smooth as anything, which made for a pleasant ride. First drop is tame, first loop is a bit weak, half loop is a really weird sensation and the drop before the second loop is the best part of the ride. Expect a pop of airtime just in the bunny hop before the helix but, alas, nothing.

(also on a sidenote based on previous discussions on the first go my restraint would not lock down enough for me to feel comfortable (I had a good few inches of play in it which I hate) and the lack of a seatbelt really didn't fill me with ease. Actually held on quite tightly even though I knew it was nigh-on impossible there'd be an accident. lols)

Good ride, interacts quite well. Just outside top 10.

Rhombus Rocket is an ok powered coaster as they go, but it kept dying at certain points and crawling over the hill which was lame.

Their mouse coaster was wild. Spun loads more than I expected, wasn't at all painful. Fun little ride.

As it stands;

1. Dragon Khan
2. Nemesis
3. Swarm
4. Oblivion
5. Jubilee Odyssey
6. PMBO
7. Velocity
8. Stampida
9. Kumali
10. Nemesis Inferno

Although the only certains there are the top 3. The rest tend to chop and change.

marc said:
I don't have a top ten tbh.

I no longer rate coasters as I found I was no longer enjoying riding.

When I did GeForce and Nemesis were joint 1st steel and colossus was my number 1 wood.

I feel the same way in some ways. I think its comes down to why you go to parks.. to get creds or to just enjoy a day with friends.. where rides are involved.

I try to think of days as the latter.. and enjoy rides and the park much more.

I still enjoy ranking rides, and I dont feel like it stops me from enjoying the park, or the rides any less than if I didnt, with that said I have a new top 10:

1. Phoenix
2. Maverick
3. Skyrush
4. Ravine Flyer II
5. El Toro
6. Bizzaro [SFNE]
7. Boulder Dash
8. Nitro
9. Millennium Force
10. Gatekeeper

11. Storm Runner
12. Talon
13. Magnum XL200
14. Fahrenheit
15. Top Thrill Dragster
16. Green Lantern
17. Great Bear
18. Lightning Racer
19. Wooden Warrior
20. Jokers Jinx

1: Phoenix
2: Shambhala
3: Outlaw Run
4: Skyrush
5: Ravine Flyer II
6: Leviathan
7: Wildfire
8: Maverick
9: El Toro
10: Millennium Force

Roughly half way through the coaster year and here is my top 51. New additions are in bold

1. Goliath, Walibi Holland
2. Expedition GeForce, Holiday Park
3. X2, Six Flags Magic Mountain
4. Tatsu, Six Flags Magic Mountain
5. Montu, Busch Gardens Tampa
6. Balder, Liseberg
7. Nemesis, Alton Towers
8. Troy, Toverland
9. Black Mamba, Phantasialand
10. Colossos, Heide Park

11. Manta, Sea World Orlando
12. Katun, Mirabilandia
13. Batman Clones, PWM, SFMM
14. Superman: L’Atraccion d’Acero, Parque Warner Madrid
15. Blue Fire, Europa Park
16. Ispeed, Mirabilandia
17. Bizarro, Six Flags New England
18. Silver Star, Europa Park
19. Riddler’s Revenge, Six Flags Magic Mountain
20. Stunt Fall, Parque Warner Madrid

21. Apocalypse, Six Flags Magic Mountain
22. Xcelerator, Knott’s Berry Farm
23. Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit, Universal Studios Orlando
24. Sheikra, Busch Gardens Tampa
25. Colorado Adventure, Phantasialand
26. Colossus, Thorpe Park
27. Stealth, Thorpe Park
28. OzIris, Park Asterix
29. Joris en de Draak, Efteling
30. Klotti Coaster, Klotten Park

31. Kraken, Sea World Orlando
32. Winjas Fear, Phantasialand
33. Tonnerre de Zeus, Parc Asterix
34. The Swarm, Thorpe Park
35. Wild Mouse, Blackpool Pleasure Beach
36. Twister, Grona Lund
37. Wodan Timbur Coaster, Europa Park
38. Goliath, Six Flags Magic Mountain
39. Smiler, Alton Towers
40. Megaphobia, Oakwood

41. Nemesis Inferno, Thorpe Park
42. Dragon Challenge: Hungarian Horntail, Islands of Adventure
43. Boulderdash, Lake Compounce
44. Raptor, Gardaland
45. Krake, Heide Park
46. Expedition Everest, Disney’s Animal Kingdom
47. Winjas Force, Phantasialand
48. Van Helsings Factory, Movie Park Germany
49. Air, Alton Towers
50. Cheetah Hunt, Busch Gardens Tampa

51. Olympia Looping, Travelling

I only did 51 because Olympia Looping was so close to making it in to the top 50, that i felt it was worth a mention.

My turn!

1. El Toro
2. Maverick
3. Voyage
4. Skyrush
5. Leviathan
6. Diamondback
7. Top Thrill Dragster
8. Griffon
9. Ravine Flyer II
10. Gatekeeper

11. Intimidator 305
12. Phoenix
13. Apollo's Chariot
14. X-Flight
15. Behemoth
16. Fahrenheit
17. Shivering Timbers
18. Alpengeist
19. Wildfire
20. Millennium Force

21. Afterburn
22. Patriot
23. Storm Runner
24. Batman clones
25. Kumba
26. Magnum XL-200
27. American Thunder
28. Prowler
29. Tonnere de Zeus
30. X

TTD and RFII moved up, Griffon fell. 305 dropped out of the top 10 and Gatekeeper is barely hangin' in there at 10. Millennium Force moved up a few spots as well.