What's new

Theme Park Attendance Figures 2009

marc

CF Legend
Someone sent me this link today regarding Theme Park Attendance figures from 2009.

Disney rule the ranking which is not a shock, it really does show that with nothing new they can still get the prople through the door.

DLP had a high number of visitors as well, they were in the top 25 so god knows why they are making such a loss.

No UK park was in the the top 25.

http://www.teaconnect.org/etea/2009ThemeIndex.pdf

I've been waiting for this to come out, was looking at it a couple of weeks back and new it was any time now.

However, I was looking for the Blackpool figures, but it appears they aren't supplying the figures any more and haven't been for a couple of years now. Ho hum :lol:

The most shocking figure is for the Six Flags vs Cedar Fair comparison.. as the numbers are so close even though Six Flags has many more theme parks. Some of those parks are in smaller markets.. but to only have 2 million a year more visits is quite surprising.

Universal and Sea World were down by quite a bit last year which is supprising as they both got new rides. Maybe people are waiting for Harry Potter to open to go to these parks using the Orlando Flexi Ticket.

But what a year Merlin had, Alton up 5%, Thorpe 10% and Legoland 5%.

DLP main park had more visitors than Epcot, 12,700,000 people, yet the studio park 2,600,000. That to me shows just what people think of the park as the tickets cover both parks yet people just dont bother.

furie said:
However, I was looking for the Blackpool figures, but it appears they aren't supplying the figures any more and haven't been for a couple of years now. Ho hum :lol:

Dunno about now, but it does say for one of the European parks they discounted it due to the free entry stuff... But now with the fiver entry fee my point is relatively pointless :lol:

Horray for Chessie getting in the top European ones though... Shows the major differences between the US and the rest of world though don't it?

Adventure Island is the free entry park and thanks to local papers I am sure they had over £1,000,000 last year which is bloody good.

Thorpe Park done well, thanks to Saw :) Hopefully just a couple more rides than Alton and it will take the crown cool)

SnooSnoo said:
The most shocking figure is for the Six Flags vs Cedar Fair comparison.. as the numbers are so close even though Six Flags has many more theme parks. Some of those parks are in smaller markets.. but to only have 2 million a year more visits is quite surprising.

Six Flags are currently operating 13 parks, including La Ronde and the Great Escape.

Cedar Fair operate 12 (including Gilroy Gardens).

Remember, this doesn't include water parks, and the gap has been closed a lot due to Six Flags downsizing and Cedar Fair acquiring the paramount parks.

So... With just one or two theme park properties between them now, I don't know why you're suprised by these results!

Jools said:
Thorpe Park done well, thanks to Saw :) Hopefully just a couple more rides than Alton and it will take the crown cool)

Yay, just what Thorpe needs is more people crammed onto it... :roll:

Jake said:
SnooSnoo said:

Six Flags are currently operating 13 parks, including La Ronde and the Great Escape.

Cedar Fair operate 12 (including Gilroy Gardens).

Remember, this doesn't include water parks, and the gap has been closed a lot due to Six Flags downsizing and Cedar Fair acquiring the paramount parks.

So... With just one or two theme park properties between them now, I don't know why you're suprised by these results!

Might be just me being stupid.. :lol:

I think it may just be because Cedar Fair owns those titans (CP, KBF, KI, and CW) which are some of the biggest attendance eaters for theme parks across the country while the rest of the parks are barely eating out an existence and Six Flags seemingly evens out its numbers a bit.

Canada's Wonderland had a higher attendance figure than Cedar Point? Hmm..

I'm not surprised with the other results though, besides some of the more unknown Asian parks.

Great to see the Merlin parks performing well and De Efteling had quite a big increase last year! Hopefully that trend continues with the addition of it's racing GCI's!

Port Aventura has seen another big decline last year which is expected due to it's location and less people going on holidays.. I say it'll face another tough year this year!

Without trying to make this topic too Merlin biased, I wonder if their gate figures have increased as people took "staycations" instead of holidaying abroad last year.

I know their Anal Pass sales increased, so naturally gate figures will increase, but again, I'm convinced that's down to the "staycation" opposed to decent ride investment and increased advertisements.

Now there's a slight but more money floating about and people wanting to get away after "staycationing" here last year, what's the chances of their numbers dropping in 2010?

Btw, I hate the term "staycation".

^ Is that Merlin's newest PR stunt? Selling Anal Passes? :lol:

Anyways, I'm happy my home park is twenty-third (or is it fourth? I forget lol).

Disney are still the big boys and they will be for a long long time to come.
But Well Done Chessie and i can see them going up the rankings with the introduction of Wild Asia this year.

Tony said:
Port Aventura has seen another big decline last year which is expected due to it's location and less people going on holidays.. I say it'll face another tough year this year!

Sorry, but that doesn't really make any sense considering many other European parks saw numbers either stay around the same or increase. Those numbers can't be made up from just the locals.

It's more likely to do with the fact that NOTHING new has been added for the last couple of seasons. Although I personally don't like DLP, I can see why families would go there for repeat visits, even if there's not much new since their last visit. I can't see that so much with Port Aventura.

Those figures are really interesting. I'm glad Chessington is at least in the top 20, but only just in there, hopefully this year will show off how epic Wild Asia has been for the park.

Yay for Futuroscope for being so high on that list too. Very shocked by that, then again a LOT of school trips go there, which is probably why it's so high (that and they add at least 2 new attractions a year (sometimes just a new film but still), I don't know any other park with such a record).

Thorpe getting a 10% increase is obviously down to Saw though, quite predictable really.

I'm still in shock with how far down the Disney Studios are in relation to the main park, imo it just doesn't make sense, especially with Tower of Terror. Oh well, the new area should increase attendance a bit later this year.

This topic is boring - the leaflet itself was an affront to my eyes! Make it go away.

It's not funny because it's upsetting!

gavin said:
Tony said:

Sorry, but that doesn't really make any sense considering many other European parks saw numbers either stay around the same or increase. Those numbers can't be made up from just the locals.

It's more likely to do with the fact that NOTHING new has been added for the last couple of seasons. Although I personally don't like DLP, I can see why families would go there for repeat visits, even if there's not much new since their last visit. I can't see that so much with Port Aventura.

I see a mid way between these two points to be honest. Port Aventura and that area of Spain in general, relies very heavily on the contingent of Brits and other tourists that head there for a summer holiday. During the height of the season the place is sprawling with Brits - when we aren't in a recession that is. I wouldn't presume to say it is the only reason for the decline though. Gavin is right that a lack of anything new over the past few years is hardly going to help now is it...

Looking at the Top 20 European parks... there is only 4 I haven't been to! Hahaha.

Overall, nothing shocking or unexpected in there. Bit surprised PBB have opted out though... Shame!

Mark said:
Looking at the Top 20 European parks... there is only 4 I haven't been to! Hahaha.

Hehe, you wanna know something bad? Out of the top 20 American parks, there's only 3 I haven't been to, but 6 for Europe :p

Overall, nothing shocking or unexpected in there. Bit surprised PBB have opted out though... Shame!

Really, that surprises you... Blackpool :wink: