What's new

The lies of the Big One at Blackpool and it's effects.

Niles

Giga Poster
With Exodus opening next year it got me thinking about how the only reason its the height it is, is due to the Big Ones sea level height claim of 235ft, when in actuality its 213ft.

Would Exodus only be 214ft otherwise, I wonder with the shorter height would a longer layout have been more likely, its Merin though so it likely would have been the same layout just smaller to be fair.

Two other coasters that I think were effected are Silver Star and Shambala, both took the record for Europe's tallest but they never had to be as high as they are. Thankfully they benefited as both have the height and nice long layouts.

The stranger stat however is the speed of the Big One, they claim 85mph while most other sources seem to suggest around 74mph from RCDB to a Arrow press kit (Source). Even though Exodus will be quite a bit higher it is unlikely to hit 85mph, for instance Shambala with a drop of 256ft only hits 83mph so I do doubt it beating the big ones claim. So Exodus in marketing can claim to be taller but not faster?

I did message Blackpool in regards to the speed asking how taller coasters with bigger drops are slower and they stated that the speed is reached with a full train in the wet with a tailwind, I then asked "surely then Exodus will be faster under the same conditions as its 236ft tall while the Big One is 213ft tall", sadly they never responded to this 😅

This thread goes into great detail on the 85mph claim: https://coasterforce.com/forums/thr...-at-blackpool-pleasure-beach-come-from.45264/

Stealth however is currently fastest and I believe may still be the fastest even after Exodus, Thorpe on their marketing and site state Stealth is the fastest, after Exodus Thorpe can say they are home to the tallest and fastest coasters in the UK which sounds great, but when you currently google "fastest roller coaster in the uk" it still comes up with the Big One.

1691490556358.png

I wonder once Exodus is built and they loose the height record will they still claim the speed record even though they are likely the 3rd fastest, now the Ultimate has gone they have the European length record which is impressive and I don't see anyone beating that anytime soon.

So do you think they will ever tell the truth and do you think the effects are good, bad or a mix if you think it did impact anything.

They will never tell the truth, as its not something the average person is capable of challenging. If someone says Iceblast is 180ft and the official source says its 210ft most will trust the official line, and without a large tape measure I have no idea.

Its the same with the wooden coasters, some sources say they are 60ft, others say 70ft. Clearly they are all within a couple of feet of each other, yet the Grand National is 15mph faster than the other two, also one report made out the Streak was 5mph faster than the RollerCoaster, which is possible because of the heavier train, it certainly seems faster but how do we actually prove it? Especially when most marketing since says its 35mph, its original speed.

They will never tell the truth, as its not something the average person is capable of challenging. If someone says Iceblast is 180ft and the official source says its 210ft most will trust the official line, and without a large tape measure I have no idea.

Its the same with the wooden coasters, some sources say they are 60ft, others say 70ft. Clearly they are all within a couple of feet of each other, yet the Grand National is 15mph faster than the other two, also one report made out the Streak was 5mph faster than the RollerCoaster, which is possible because of the heavier train, it certainly seems faster but how do we actually prove it? Especially when most marketing since says its 35mph, its original speed.
One thing that might account for the difference in speed - Big Dipper & Rollercoaster don't drop their full height of the lift hill. Big Dipper's first drop is only to about level with the station, it doesn't drop to ground level until the airplane turns of the 1935 redesign section. Same with RC - it's first drop only drops to level with the trim brakes before the final turn. Whereas Grand Nation drops the full height of the lift hill

One thing that might account for the difference in speed - Big Dipper & Rollercoaster don't drop their full height of the lift hill. Big Dipper's first drop is only to about level with the station, it doesn't drop to ground level until the airplane turns of the 1935 redesign section. Same with RC - it's first drop only drops to level with the trim brakes before the final turn. Whereas Grand Nation drops the full height of the lift hill
Thats a good point.

Regarding the RC, I have it in the back of my mind that originally the final bend went through the structure and cut under the first drop and lift. At some point it was re-routed to go around the outside and follow the perimeter wall.

So do you think they will ever tell the truth and do you think the effects are good, bad or a mix if you think it did impact anything.

I don't think they ever will tell the truth. I don't think its is slander, as such, but a few people might leave BPB thinking "the big one iz vertical innit" and as a result, may not chose to visit other theme parks because they think the big one is the tallest fastest steepest rollercoaster in the universe.

I'm sure there are laws surrounding this. But there will be loopholes aplenty.

It's no different to every fish and chip shop in the UK, they're all the WORLDS BEST FISH AND CHIPS and won a number of awards no ones ever heard of.

It's frustrating as enthusiasts, but I don't think your general theme park visitors give a monkeys about it. I doubt other UK theme parks care either because they'll be doing their own sneaky/misleading marketing. Nemesis = "the worlds most intense ride experience" is a prime example.