What's new

The Games we play...

Ollie

CF Legend
Uncharted 2 won game of the year beating both Modern Warfare 2 and Arkham Asylum.
Also Left for Dead 2 is getting DLC where the survivors from the first game come across and meet up with the characters from the second one.

Also:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W73_hcyc6Dg[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzP2wm33U5c[/youtube]
The graphics in the Star Was trailer look amazing. Like watching an actual film. Especially with the main character.

marc

CF Legend
Wow to both them games I just hope that the Star Wars game has more to it than the 1st one did. It looked good just far to short.

Batman i cannot help but feel its ready to fast after the last one, but if its anything like the last one it will be great.

Uncharted 2 winning game of the year I am shocked tbh.

Ben

CF Legend
The ending of Arkham Asylum was crap, but, a second will be amazing <3 By the looks of it, not set in the Asylum, yay <3

Also, I'd put money on Mr Freeze and Two-Face being villains, with Harvey being mentioned quite explicitly at the end of the first one, and a hint towards Mr Freeze in the trailer. Plus, both of their cells were empty in the first one :wink:

And those game awards were a joke. Like, a real joke. How that South Park arcade game won above Ghostbusters... Or Halo beat MW2 for best original score... Or MW2 didn't get game of the year...

kimahri

CF Legend
Hopefulyl there will be more Scarecrow (In some really weird plot device or something...) cause he's awesome.

And In regards to the Avard thingys. ScrewAttacks SAGY's are better.

Ollie

CF Legend
That's just the trailer though. The game will probably won't be out till the second half of next year at least I guess.
Still... Bring it on. :D

Ben

CF Legend
Yeah, Christmas next year was what I was reading xD

And Scarecrow? Given the end of the first one, that's a YES :p

Ollie

CF Legend
Lol. Apparently the PC version of Modern Warfare 2 is gone to **** as people have hacked it to hell. Also the 360 version has been hacked as well giving people stuff like unlimited ammo including the tactical nuke.
Microsoft sucks.

Everything works great on the PS3. :p

Ollie

CF Legend
Saw: The Videogame:
First impressions of it when seeing the trailers was that it was going to be ****. That's exactly why I rented instead of buying as I wasn't sure how good it was going to be.
Anyway...

Gameplay:
There's only one way to really describe this. SILENT HILL. Almost everything about the gameplay is like Silent Hill. The way you move and interact with things, the combat and picking up items as weapons. There's even lots of puzzles to solve and finding your way around the building is very much like Silent Hill as well. Now that's not really a bad thing as the Silent Hill games are great and work really well. Saw takes this but adapts it to fit the theme by using the characters and filling it with traps.
The difficulty curve is pretty good as it starts of easy and then slowly gains in difficulty as it goes on. This means it's always a challenge. Also the traps are really good. Not only do they have a couple of famous ones from the films but the game has plenty of new ones not seen before that are great. The place is also booby trapped so you're always on your toes keeping an eye out for them. I had my volume loud and sometimes when you go too fast down a corridor you may not see the trip wire which blows your head of with a shotgun. This made me jump many a time when it suddenly went bang. :lol: Also some of the doors are rigged as well and you have to hit the correct button to avoid a similar fate. The gameplay works well though for the game and always gives you something to do.

Graphics:
First impressions from the opening scene were that they were pretty average. But the lighting is great throughout the game casting shadows and making the scenes more scary. Also the textures are pretty impressive and sharp. Little things as well are good such as when you walk across glass or sharp objects on the floor (you play the whole game barefoot) you leave bloody footprints behind that slowly fade with each step as the blood dries. Also the gore is really gruesome in some parts of the game which is really good.

Controls:
The controls are one of the let downs of the game. It's certainly playable but the way the character moves sometimes seems awkward and trying to select some objects is sometime difficult as you have to be looking directly at it for the prompt to pick it up to appear. Other than that though they're ok and work well enough to play the game.

Plot: This is something else they could of improved on. Unlike the films that have quite complex plots and twists, this is a let down. Not much happen in the time you start playing and when the game ends plot wise and it doesn't add any more important information to the Saw franchise like the developers were saying it would. The only bits in the game that move it on a bit is saving some people that are related to him or his work during the game or people that have a grudge against him. Also the ending is a bit weak (both of them) and the twist at the end of the proper ending (the one that seems to work better) doesn't really tie in with the rest of the game as well as it could of. The other ending is just sudden and random.

Overall opinion:
Overall Saw: The Videogame was much better than I thought it would be but there's still alot of room for improvement. It's pretty fun to play but it feels too much like Silent Hill and at times in between the traps doesn't feel like a Saw game at all. It's still worth giving a go though if you're a Saw fan or liked the Silent Hill games and want something similar.

Buy, Rent or Miss?
Definitely rent. Unless you can pick up cheap less than £15 or so it's not worth the price it's currently being sold at. Not really worth missing either though as it's quite fun to play and it's not a bad game at all.

Lain

Giga Poster
Okay people.

Burn Zombie Burn is currently only £3.19 on the PSN store, reduced from £6.something.

Should I get it? Answers on a postcard. Thx.

Ollie

CF Legend
^Download the demo of it and see. I personally wasn't that impressed by it but people like different things.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It's Robotron, but with zombies... And exploding teddy bears.

Also, £3.19? It's the cost of a pint...

Ollie

CF Legend
^You're pints are expensive then. :p
I'm tempted by the Burnout+BigSurf download though as that's going cheap. Also the Minis are on the PS3 as well now which is quite cool although most are games you can play on the internet for free anyway.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I am NOT pints are expensive! :p

I'm tempted by Bomberman, some good deals at the moment actually :)

Started Batman again... Still undecided, but it keeps on bringing me back to play and play and play until I do :lol:

It's got fantastic pacing, it's got "lots of stuff" to do, the gameplay mechanic works well. Yeah, it's good and probably one of the most consistently good games I've played in a long time. It's not "mind blowing", but it's certainly a great game. On a par with Heavenly Sword in terms of enjoyment I think.

Got Gran Tourismo 5 time trial thing last night. It's more of the same. It may be the best driving simulator ever, but it's dull as dishwater.

mrclam

Giga Poster
I know a lot of you are playstation owners.

We've just released the excellent Braid on PS network in europe.

The game looks like a simple platformer at first, but the core mechanic is more a puzzler as you need to get the puzzle pieces to continue and to do that you need to control time itself.

Should be cheap too!

If not on ps, we also have it on mac/pc and xbox.. go fill your boots!

Ollie

CF Legend
The demo of Dantes Inferno is pretty good. Not played any of the God of war games before though so can't see many of the similarities. Quite fun and plenty of boobies. :D
I really like the idea of it and all the concept art appearing for it but I'm not sure what they full game will be like. Will just have to wait till March to find out.

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
Got the god of war 3 demo and it is incredibly impressive, very similar to the dantes inferno demo, but GOW came first and is of a higher quality...but Dantes Inferno is in hell! Just bought pixelJunk Shooter aswell which is acctualy amazing! Very addictive, never frustrating and is also fun! What a nice game that is!