What's new

SkyJump at the Stratopshere

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Googling away this morning I found this...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkIGJGWiPvI[/youtube]

It's a controlled jump so it's not freefall like a bungee. Somehow I think the controlled nature of it would make it a bit pants.

Has anybody been on it or something similar?

Sister-of_Furie did it a few months ago, said it was a real buzz. Minor_Furie has done shorter ones (30 foot or so). I think that it's probably not fast enough to be freefall, so not as good as say a drop tower. However, jumping off something that high is where the real thrill is (IMO).

Ian said:
It's a controlled jump so it's not freefall like a bungee. Somehow I think the controlled nature of it would make it a bit pants.

It looks a bit tame TBH. I'll take a drop tower any day.

I did a controlled jump at centre parcs, about 60ft literally just step off an edge and a winch lets you free fall about 20ft before slowing you down gently* (allegedly, it bloody hurt) genuinely one of the scariest things I've ever done, taking the step was harder than I expected, I really had to force myself to leap (which I guess is a good thing lol)

I can imagine something similar at the top of that tower to be insane!

Communicating through the ether... (tapatalk)

To be totally honest, I've heard nothing but good things about this attraction. It's one of the main reasons for me wanting to go to Vegas (Apart from the Credz and Drinking - I don't gamble).

It's not as bad as the one in Pattaya Park. That kind of just slowly lowers you to the ground. At least this has a bit of decent speed to it.

Nah, I'll take a real bungee jump thanks.

That looks completely insane. I have always wanted to try an actual bungee jump, that would be the buzz of a lifetime.

If anyone doesn't think they'd be **** themselves hanging off that, they are a bit deluded.

I bet the drop isn't as amazing as a "proper drop" but it's just different. I bet it's still a real rush.

Due to my distrust of bungee jumping, I would never ride this, especially as it costs an extra $100...

I wouldn't mind skydiving or wingwalking on the other hand, seeing as there's a much better chance I'll actually still be alive afterwards.

Thing is, thats probably the closest thing to a bungee they could have up there.

Regards of freefall or not, running/walking/jumping off of a 909ft tower would be a ridiculously scary experience.

I would absolutely LOVE to do that, I would probably be quite scared to do a proper jump, due to the whole foot tying, upside downie, HEAD RUSH thing.
So yeah, this would be epic.

I have been up there and seen people do it and I have to admit I bottled it and didn't fancy it.

Also thought $100 was a bit steep, that was my excuse :lol:

That video does it no justice though and makes it look really tame, standing up there 909ft high with the wind in your face and jumping is a different story entirely to that video.

Kind of wished I did it now though. :|

It can't be a real bungee jump, because you would swing back into the building if they did do a bungee, right?

I think jumping from a tower that high would be awesome. Thanks for posting!

I didn't do it because I didn't have the money for it, but it looks pretty cool. I don't think the drop looks that great, but I bet it's a lot faster when you're the one doing the jump! Stepping out of the window would definitely be terrifying. I wish someone did it so I could see how it looks in person, but I think a lot of people were put off by the price.

Was up there the other day with my mates after 4 days drinking in LV. No-one fancied it (all chickens and/or horribly hungover I guess). My one mate was almost physically sick just watching them step out from the platform! :)

You can just about see the "target" in the middle of this shot;

6346863900_04be8ff19a.jpg

100 dollars? a bit steep but throughput i shant think was an issue... all though the fall would be good i imagine not as sensational as TOT (dont murder me...) which is the best drop i have expirienced... ever. But the real thrill and fear of that experience is the openness, height and the bodys natural response to oh s**t im throwing myself off a 909 foot tower.

I must admit I want a go even though I have done my jump in a true freefall experience. Its almost a hybrid of what is done at the Macau Jump which claims to be the worlds highest bungee jump at 233 meters but it is infact a controlled jump like this and a bungee cord so it decelerates quicker and stops any recoil. You can see how slack the bungee cord is that it is not a true jump like the one I did at Bloukrans.

Please see here one of the better examples
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAZIxuxjogI[/youtube]

Dont get me wrong though I would really like to do both travel permitting but I think the cost of these experiences compared to a true bungee jump is a little steep.

Anyone who has done real bungee jumps knows that one from that height would be too painful (the ones I've done have killed my ankles), so controlled jumps are the only way to go when you're talking about those kind of heights. I've done 100-200 feet jumps & was slightly nervous about stepping (well, bending) off the ledges every time. Nearly 1000 feet would probably give me a heart attack. Kudos to those who can do this is all I've got to say.

I shall be doing this when I visit Vegas at the end of the year. I'll tweet some pics from the CF account if there's free wifi available.

Now I have to convince my Dad to do it. It's about time he did something mildly adventurous.