What's new

Six Flag Parks and Fire

marc

CF Legend
What is it with Six Flags at the moment. They have been re theming and doing up some of their coasters for example Super Man, X2 and Medusa.

Have they just discovered fire? all this re themes have flame throwing things. Yes I think its good that they are doing up their rides but they all do the same thing, fire fire fire, mist lol. And guess what Terminator has fire as well.

What do others think of this?

Well, it's a gimmick, and parks seem to be famous for that so it's not that they're re-discovering it, I just think they found a fairly inexpensive way to advertise, or re-advertise existing rides, making them sound better and thus maybe bringing in more business.

Yep. The fire effects on X2 are actually quite good, and really added a unique part to the ride tbh. I could see it making the other rides better, aesthetically of course.

Fire is always cool. What's great about these new flames are the heat. They are HOT. You can feel the heat from the station on Medusa when they go off.

:shock:

Glad I wasn't the only one who was shocked by the Terminator with fire. I know it was just a general question, but I actually had a nice laughing fit at the thought.

I can see the headline now... "Tragic struck on first day of testing.."

On a side, I don't like the fire effects and addition of music. It strikes me as designers running out of ideas.

I agree with LFTL. It's just one of those things that people like and think are exciting. As for Terminator, that's just dumb. I mean really, who would put FLAMES near a WOODEN ROLLER COASTER????????

^Correction: Who would put FLAMES near a WOODEN ROLLER COASTER WITHOUT KNOWING WHAT THEY ARE DOING????????

Thanks.

Well, as long as the GP like it, I think the fire and flames refurbishments are great in some ways, bad in other.
On the plus side, it's not as costy for a park, I mean, they need to paint the rides regulary anyways, and using a different colour can't be more than twice/three times as expensive, right? (They have to use a primer and more layers so that the previous colour isn't visible, and they have to paint it even where the old paint is still as good as new) That money can be spent in the future, or to pay off the mahoosive debt of Six Flags.
Also, it doesn't take valuable space, and it's easier to get painting permission than building permission.

On the negative side, they can ruin the original charm of the ride by putting effects and scenery in, and use the refurbishments as an excuse for not building anything for more years, threating the upgrade like an entirely new coaster. Besides, effects not working look far worse than no effects at all. But I think the plusses outweigh the minuses here.
Now, what coaster will be the next to go "Bizarro"? My money is on Titan at SFOT.

I am not the biggest fan of Six Flags parks. Most theme parks add GOOD rides to their parks. The closest park to me is Six Flags Great America, and they haven't added a good coaster for a while. In 2004, they added a Wild Mouse coaster. And guess what? In 2008 they added another Wild Mouse coaster. At least the other Six Flags parks have fire on their rides. :x

I think it's as simple as Shapiro not thinking full new rides are worth the money and that he can get away with refreshing old ones. And to some degree, he's got it. I hope he's smart enough to realize they'll have to start putting back in big coasters at some point. For now, though, SF isn't in good financial shape, and I wouldn't be surprised to see more rethemes like this, as opposed to larger investments.
Heck, maybe if other SF parks are lucky enough, they could get some work done by GARY GODDARD. (and now if CP6 doesn't see this thread, I'm going to look ridiculous).

Also, I really wish CP would put some fire effects on Mean Streak...right near the lift hill supports...

Dunno why everyone is moaning about the fire by Terminator...

Half the time parks do they're firework displays behind the bloody Wooden coasters :lol:

^ Good call, although the one that comes to mind is King's Island, and they close Beast during the show.

I wouldn't worry about the fire effects on Terminator. They go straight up in an open area and never really get close to anything wooden.

This is random to put in here but..

Coaster Count = ((6² + √81) x2) + (3 x10¹)

What's your coaster count? Haha.

Terminator does look pretty sucky though, I dunno how much fire would add to it. It looks as bad as Rumbler.

Pokemaniac said:
^Correction: Who would put FLAMES near a WOODEN ROLLER COASTER WITHOUT KNOWING WHAT THEY ARE DOING????????

Thanks.

Well, as long as the GP like it, I think the fire and flames refurbishments are great in some ways, bad in other.
On the plus side, it's not as costy for a park, I mean, they need to paint the rides regulary anyways, and using a different colour can't be more than twice/three times as expensive, right? (They have to use a primer and more layers so that the previous colour isn't visible, and they have to paint it even where the old paint is still as good as new) That money can be spent in the future, or to pay off the mahoosive debt of Six Flags.
Also, it doesn't take valuable space, and it's easier to get painting permission than building permission.

On the negative side, they can ruin the original charm of the ride by putting effects and scenery in, and use the refurbishments as an excuse for not building anything for more years, threating the upgrade like an entirely new coaster. Besides, effects not working look far worse than no effects at all. But I think the plusses outweigh the minuses here.
Now, what coaster will be the next to go "Bizarro"? My money is on Titan at SFOT.

Well seeing as SFOT has only added THBS, which is kinda boring after the first ride, I hope you're right. Oh btw, I think the re-modeling thing is being spent on Texas Giant so that's probably all they'll do to the park.

LiveForTheLaunch said:
This is random to put in here but..

Coaster Count = ((6² + √81) x2) + (3 x10¹)

What's your coaster count? Haha.

Terminator does look pretty sucky though, I dunno how much fire would add to it. It looks as bad as Rumbler.

1. Math is fun.
2. I thought Evel could have been as bad as Rumbler.. boy were we wrong.

1. Math is fun.
2. I thought Evel could have been as bad as Rumbler.. boy were we wrong.

1. I'm gonna take a stab at it..

((6² + √81) x2) + (3 x10¹)

((36+9)x2) + (30)

45 x 2 + 30

= 120?

I'll feel like an idiot if that's wrong.

2. Yeah that's true.. Terminator might be good, and I should not have even put it down because Evel Knievel definitely was an example that just because one GCI was a huge disappointment, doesn't mean they all are. Heck, by looking at layouts, I would have said Rumbler might have been one of the best, and Evel looked lame, but it was the exact opposite.

I thought the rule was that unless you got to ride a coaster before everyone else, or if the park didn't lavish you with perks and attention that the coaster was ****e?
;)

^ Hehe, this is CF, not TPR...

For the record, if this is turning into a hate-on-GCI topic, I really have enjoyed the GCIs I've been on, with the lone exception being Gwazi...but that's Busch and PTC trains, so eh...