What's new

scariest low-gore scare attraction?

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
I kind of have a love-hate thing with horror and scare attractions, - I love being scared and horror/supernatural but hate gore and body horror - as in phobic/disgust reaction of blood and the representation of wounds etc.

But I LOVE ghosts, witchcraft, creatures - that sort of thing..... What's the scariest low-or-no gore attraction you've ever done?

Lofty

CF Legend
Manormortis (Scare Kingdom Scream Park) (;)), Gasten Ghost Hotel (Liseberg), Jefferson Manor (Walibi Holland Fright Nights), Gothic (HHN 22), Dead End (HHN 22), Insidious (HHN 25), House of Horrors (HHN 22), Dead & Breakfast (Screamland), A Haunting At Old Town (Defunct) and Hotel Kruger (Tibidabo) are the best 'non-gore' attractions I've done.

TLARides

Hyper Poster
I didn't do it while I was there, but Kings Island replaced "Club Blood" with "Blackout" which is a completely in-the-dark scare maze. Since you can't see anything (I'm guessing), that would make is low-gore, right?

It's really living up to Haunt's slogan. "What you can see will scare you. What you can't see will haunt you."

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
^SFGAm had a similar thing a few years ago, and it was really quite disappointing. It was just people standing in dark clothes whispering and telling you which way to go.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Lofty

CF Legend
Yeah, there's a lot of 'darkness' based attractions in the world to be fair and they're really not the best in all honesty. I did one a number of years ago that had extremely sparse lighting and flashes of lights every so often, it was by far superior to a complete darkness attraction.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Yep. The one labelled as the scariest at Universal Singapore when I went last was actually crap. Just very dark with people in cheap rubber masks. S**te.

It's not at an amusement park, but Erebus is pretty amazing. It doesn't rely on much gore to get the job done, but instead relies on intricately done sets and cool effects to get the job done! I've done so many scare attractions but nothing else is really coming to mind that lacks gore. Horror Hospital in Japan was pretty creepy and not too gory though, I thought.

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
Hellements at Tulleys is pretty cool. You wear a bag on your head and it's all sound and environmental effects etc, no gore.

Ben

CF Legend
Hellements is poo on a stick. The only good bag-on-your-head attraction I've done is Molly Crowe that was fab.

My favourite 'low gore' attractions I've done, no order, are - Haunting of Molly Crowe (Alton 2015), Manormortis (Scream Kingdom 2015), Jefferson Manor (Walibi 2016), Dead and Breakfast (Screamland 2015), Gasten Hotel (Liseberg), The Curse (Thorpe 2010?) and Big Top (Thorpe 2016).

I actually think the low-gore ones are usually the best, it's hard to do blood and gore to the sort of level that it needs to be in order to actually look effective IMO.