What's new

Phantasialand | F. L. Y. | Vekoma Launched Flying Coaster | 2020

OliverL.

Roller Poster
8304E6D9-356E-4354-BBDC-979A9F3D9E1E.jpeg3771E4F7-53F2-4574-BB61-F5F8C4F4D3B8.jpeg536B96E8-695C-42EC-8D45-C925ACDDB179.jpegEF2DC42A-FD33-46B2-A50E-7EDC15CD05DD.jpeg
Phantasialand at Night

Attachments

• 5574C1C9-8EA9-45B4-AD56-283E89FAF896.jpeg
    5574C1C9-8EA9-45B4-AD56-283E89FAF896.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 90
  • 2EABE4ED-9974-4849-A32B-962A69A49F17.jpeg
    2EABE4ED-9974-4849-A32B-962A69A49F17.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 78
  • FFBA85A8-01D8-4D0E-AFC2-117BF32A0AF8.jpeg
    FFBA85A8-01D8-4D0E-AFC2-117BF32A0AF8.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 577DE003-E3DB-421C-8104-F6242EDF4894.jpeg
    577DE003-E3DB-421C-8104-F6242EDF4894.jpeg
    64.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 7CB4E454-0F26-4DDC-AC89-514A2DD1B5C7.jpeg
    7CB4E454-0F26-4DDC-AC89-514A2DD1B5C7.jpeg
    63.6 KB · Views: 75

Ethan

Strata Poster
8304e6d9-356e-4354-bbdc-979a9f3d9e1e-jpeg.8228
The rust effect on the facade looks great when it's dark and you can't see it! I knew Phantasialand would pull through.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Don't post in here much but just popped in for a catch-up.
Dudes... are you mental? That hotel looks f***ing awesome! What the hell are y'all complaining about?? Never seen anything quite like it.
I know you Phanboys have been dissecting and scrutinising every detail of this project from day 1, and I think maybe some of you are getting too hung up the minutiae (ie the rust colour) to see the bigger picture, but take it from someone who has just seen that complete(?) facade for the first time:

It. Looks. Awesome!

JammyH

Hyper Poster
Honestly, I'm starting to really like it again. I don't know if that's just because I'm missing theme parks a lot but I think the whole area looks really cool, including the hotel and the wall.

I'd still like to see more theming and detailing added to the rust wall but it's so so different to anything that I've seen before which I think in itself makes it quite eye-catching and quirky to look at.

Ethan

Strata Poster
Don't post in here much but just popped in for a catch-up.
Dudes... are you mental? That hotel looks f***ing awesome! What the hell are y'all complaining about?? Never seen anything quite like it.
I know you Phanboys have been dissecting and scrutinising every detail of this project from day 1, and I think maybe some of you are getting too hung up the minutiae (ie the rust colour) to see the bigger picture, but take it from someone who has just seen that complete(?) facade for the first time:

It. Looks. Awesome!
I can see your point, and obviously taste is a very subjective thing. But I have to disagree that thinking this flat, ugly rust wall is hideous makes me "mental" ;)
I think it's just a shame as steampunk is such a broad theme with lots of variations, many of which are delicate and detailed, others are large and imposing etc. This just seems lazy to me, except for the brick part with the chimney, that can stay...

I think knowing Klugheim is next to this, with it's hand-crafted wooden roofs and buildings, makes it worse for me. I had such high hopes for Rookburgh but it's seemingly quite flat and two-dimensional from what we've seen of the inside and facades, but I'll reserve full judgement until opening day in Summer 2045. Maybe the interiors of these buildings will save it, but I'm not so sure. This is coming from a PHL fangirl, btw. I'm not hating on this for the sake of it, I want to love it SO bad.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
This thread has turned into pages and pages of bitching about the rust (really reminds me of both Steel Curtain and Iron Gwazi's trains) and I hope those close up photos cause everybody to pull a 180 with their thoughts. Those photos reveal how much detail is present yet just doesn't come through very well in photos. The whole aesthetic is great, and those in person details are only going to enhance that look they're going for.

Ethan

Strata Poster
I don't think anyone has a problem with the rust texture itself, I think we have an issue with the fact it's the only texture, pretty much. It's a bold choice, but I don't respect it ?

Besides, if people want to complain about the ugly wall, let them? It doesn't make your opinion any less valid.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
I mean.. it’s rust. Sure you can say that’s an “aesthetic” all you like, but that’s not what people have the problem with.

The problem is that it’s such a large, plain area, completely going against a Steampunk theme. Steampunk is about complexity, it’s about intricate details, polished brass and machinery all with a victorian era twist. The wall with the chimney next to the massive rust patch shows you what the theme should be about.

A big rusty plain wall doesn’t make any sense thematically. Like, what is it supposed to be?

Alv

Roller Poster
I think knowing Klugheim is next to this, with it's hand-crafted wooden roofs and buildings
Even closer to this than Klugheim’s intricate theming is the horrendous vertical garden, which still looks as atrocious as ever, is visible from within the park and no one seems to care about anymore.
The majority of people seeing this rusty wall will see it for a few seconds when driving to the park and when stuck on traffic on the way out.
Regarding the theming inside the area (where PHL is probably investing a bit more time and effort), even if the walls look completely flat most people will be too distracted by the coaster itself to notice or care if the facade in the background looks flat or not.

Ethan

Strata Poster
Even closer to this than Klugheim’s intricate theming is the horrendous vertical garden, which still looks as atrocious as ever, is visible from within the park and no one seems to care about anymore.
The majority of people seeing this rusty wall will see it for a few seconds when driving to the park and when stuck on traffic on the way out.
Regarding the theming inside the area (where PHL is probably investing a bit more time and effort), even if the walls look completely flat most people will be too distracted by the coaster itself to notice or care if the facade in the background looks flat or not.
Is something not being the centre of attention an excuse for being unsightly? I wouldn't say so. That's like saying The Smiler's gross concrete block of a station is completely fine, because most people are focused on the coaster itself? Nah, I don't buy that.

Sorry, but this is Phantasialand for god's sake. We know they can do better, which is why it's frustrating for a lot of people on here. As for the vertical "garden" in Klugheim, have people really forgotten about it? I certainly haven't, and I definitely noticed the bare concrete on the Mexico side of Klugheim too, which I also thought was disappointing. I know PHL's other projects aren't perfect, but it hasn't been very promising so far.