Montu vs. Alpengeist

• Alpengeist

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Montu

Votes: 21 84.0%

• Total voters

zips_6

Roller Poster
These two inverts are my two personal favorites. They also both happen to be at Busch Gardens parks. So which of these two great B&Ms is superior?

Alpengeist is a great B&M, that is intense, long and has very good theming. But, it is a little rough.

Montu, however, is my favorite invert. It is very intense, has seven great inversions, and, unlike Alpengeist, is very smooth.

It was close, but I am going to give it to Montu for being an all around better ride experience. What do you guys think?

I definitely prefer Montu. Alpengeist is definitely a fun invert, but Montu is simply more intense. Alpengeist's first several inversions flow really well and have decent force, but the cobra roll is rough and the second half of the ride is lackluster. Montu's inversions have greater force throughout the whole ride, and the batwing is a fantastic element. It also doesn't seem to lose it punch at the end of the ride, which Alpengeist does.

So I definitely enjoy them both (they're my third and fourth favorite inverts, and both in my top 20), but Montu edges Alpengeist without a doubt.

Montu craps all over Alpengeist. Alpengeist is just simply too big to be majorly forceful. The only really forceful element is the cobra roll and that can be hit and miss depending upon which side of the train you sit on. Plus it can be a bit rough.

Montu on the other hand is consistently very forceful the whole way round and as Hobbes said, the batwing is fantastic. Montu is also very smooth and just generally a much better coaster than Alpengeist. Don't get me wrong, Alpengeist is still a good ride, but Montu is excellent.

I'm not a huge fan of inverted coasters unless they're well above average. Alpengeist, to me, was average as far as inverts go. Montu really exceeded my expectations and at the moment is my second favourite invert behind Nemesis. So I'll say Montu.

Montu for me.
Alpengeist is beautiful, the setting is amazing and it's got one of the coolest coaster names out there.
But Montu rides better. End of.

Hobbes said:
Alpengeist's first several inversions flow really well and have decent force, but the cobra roll is rough and the second half of the ride is lackluster.
And add to that a lacklustre first drop. Alpengeist is a fun ride, no doubt. But far from the best B&Ms! Haven't been on Montu, but I have a hard time thinking that it wont have a better ride than Alpengeist.

These are easily two of the best inverts that B&M has made, but I'd choose Alpengeist over Montu by a tiny bit. I do love the batwing element and theming that Montu has, but Alpengeist has a superior layout in my opinion. Sure Alpengeist can be rough going through that cobra roll and the transition into the midcourse brake run, but the speed and height make up for those. Plus the color scheme is better than Montu's.

Both are rather average to me I guess? I'd almost go as far to say I'd rather ride a Batman clone. Alpengeist is the better of the two for me. Montu is pretty much a local coaster for me and yet, I rarely ride it. I can't stand the fact they almost always STOP the train in the MCBR, killing the second half the ride (and making me question on some rides if we'll clear the second loop. ha) Alpengeist is oversized but its graceful.

I'd take Talon, Afterburn, Black Mamba, Nemesis, and Raptor over both of them.

Montu.

Alpengeist looks pretty intimidating, and starts off well, but ultimately it's pretty dull. Well, comparatively. By its nature of being a B&M invert, it's a more than decent coaster, but compared to others of the type it didn't do all that much for me. It sits pretty comfortably in the bottom half of my list of inverts, while Montu is much closer to the top.

gavin said:
Montu.

Alpengeist looks pretty intimidating, and starts off well, but ultimately it's pretty dull. Well, comparatively. By its nature of being a B&M invert, it's a more than decent coaster, but compared to others of the type it didn't do all that much for me. It sits pretty comfortably in the bottom half of my list of inverts, while Montu is much closer to the top.
Just out of curiosity what is your top 3 inverts?

^ I'll have to dig out that old "Favourite Invert" topic and update it, but from off the top of my head at the moment:

1. Pyrenees
2. Afterburn
3. Nemesis/Montu

To be fair though, it's been ages since I've ridden Pyrenees, and I've ridden quite a few inverts since, so I don't know how well it would hold up now. I think it would still be up there though since it's very much an "old-school" B&M invert, which I tend to prefer apart from the Zero-G rolls which I find better on the newer types.

Afterburn, Nemesis and Montu are pretty interchangeable as well really.