What's new

Knott’s Berry Farm | MonteZOOMa: The Forbidden Fortress | Schwarzkopf Launch Refurb | 2024?

Indy

Hyper Poster
Why not go with the tried and tested Gerstlauer? It has operated for quite some time without issues. And they have proven capable of providing LSM launches with adaptable configurations (like on Fury).
While I'm also surprised they didn't go with them, there could be a number of reasons for not:
  • Gerstlauer might have been more expensive, assuming they got to bid on the project.
  • Maybe something happened with the HangTime project that soured the relationship with Cedar Fair/Knott's? I kind of doubt it, but that type of thing does occasionally happen.
  • Maybe Gerstlauer didn't have the capacity/availability? Again, I kind of doubt it, but you never know what their current workload or staffing is like.
I'm not convinced it's not a KumbaK project though. They do a good bit of custom engineering in the industry and this project is certainly within their wheelhouse. Not to mention, promo videos for big companies like Cedar Fair and Six Flags are usually pretty intentional. They are rarely perfect, but they tend to be reasonably detail-oriented. The shaping of the lap bar, the channel in the center of the lap bar for a seatbelt to connect from the seat itself, and the overhead hinge point for the restraint all point to KumbaK. Even the single row front car is more of an oddity that makes me think it is likely KumbaK.

1660680109918.png

Trax

Hyper Poster
Psyke Underground Features Classic Schwarzkopf-Style trains with just a (if you want to) loose lap bar. As of now, no Gerstlauer without classic OTSR comes from above, and they did not introduce vests yet. Also, their LIM launch is powerful enough to make it through in one go.

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
Some of my contacts have gone digging and compiled a list of project details. I’ll divulge what I can here.

For starters, this is a Frankenstein’s project. Knott’s has enlisted multiple firms per each individual component, so here we go;

The trains
KumbaK is indeed supplying two so that it can operate year-round. One in operation, one out for maintenance. OTSR’s are apparently required by Cali law on any reverse launch coaster, and you can probably tell that they’re abiding by that.

The coaster
Maurer AG will be manufacturing the coaster’s new track and supports. Roughly 40% of the physical structure is being replaced. They’ll apparently be reusing existing footers but expect some minor curvature changes. Don’t expect a turntable.

The launch
InDriveTec is the supplier here; they provide LSM’s for Intamin. Forwards and backwards will indeed be the case, albeit once again without a turntable. It’ll be strong enough to send the train completely up the spike backwards and have a greater acceleration going forwards than the flywheel.

Station/Queue/Theme
The entire station, and perhaps part of the queue, will be completely enclosed. There will be a show scene prior to each launch. A custom soundtrack is being provided, perhaps by IMAscore. Needless to say there will be a significant level of theming.

Nothing here is confirmed until it happens, but I trust my sources and this seems realistic. Here’s to a moderately interesting overhaul project!

Last edited:

Trax

Hyper Poster
Are you sure it is Indrivetec? Usually, they only work with Intamin (Aren’t they a subsidiary? Not sure about that) and other manufacturers are going with Intrasys. Not that I would complain ;-)

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
So Maurer track/supports, KumbaK trains, Intamin LSMs and a Schwarzkopf layout?

Wtf...

Watch it use Mack programming and Gerstlauer brakes and maybe get Vekoma to commission it, then get Premier to fix any problems it will have with Zamperla providing replacement parts for it. Then watch it get scrapped in 5 years when it all goes to **** in favour of a B&M winged shuttle.

Last edited:

John Knotts

Mega Poster
Doesn't Full Throttle have a reverse launch?

I'm going to guess it has more to do with forgoing seatbelts, which is the same reason West Coast Racer has them.

Last edited:

emoo

Hyper Poster
With pretty much straight track here's hoping the collars wont be too bad. And with the mystery launch direction people wont know how to brace so will help floppy riders out.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Moved to Construction now, I guess...? Kinda feels like one in the middle.

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
OTSR’s are apparently required by Cali law on any reverse launch coaster, and you can probably tell that they’re abiding by that.
Ok so that’s not entirely true on my part. Little more clarification;

Cali law is requiring the OTSR’s due to the forces on the reverse launch. So the intention on said launch option will be to send the train from a standstill in the station to the top of the reverse spike. Obviously they don’t have a lot of distance to work with, so the acceleration is going to be high and this will pack enough of a punch to slam riders forwards into the restraints. Neither Full Throttle nor SFDK’s Superman’s reverse launches reach this force threshold.

Hope that helps, apologies again for the miscommunication.

EthanCoaster

Mega Poster
I’m cautiously optimistic for this project. I haven’t been to Knott’s, so I don’t have the same attachment to the ride being a historical landmark, and I haven’t ridden T3 to know what the restraints will be like. However, I’m really intrigued by the level of theming being put into this.

With the coaster supposedly launching into the darkness from the concept animation, I wonder if each end of the station will have a tunnel enclosing the straightaways or if it will just be limited to the station.

Cowboyjoe

Roller Poster
Are you sure it is Indrivetec? Usually, they only work with Intamin (Aren’t they a subsidiary? Not sure about that) and other manufacturers are going with Intrasys. Not that I would complain ;-)
Their website looks like they work with any client who's willing to pay them. Perhaps they have exclusivity with Intamin for new installations, but for retrofits it's likely they'll work with any potential client in good standing. Also - and I know this is still an unsubstantiated rumor - but what if Cedar Fair has a larger contract than just Monty and they're also getting Indrivetec to work with Intamin on a new launch system for Top Thrill Dragster? All of a sudden Indrivetec would make a lot more sense if it's part of a multi-coaster package deal that includes an Intamin.

Changa

Mega Poster
Their website looks like they work with any client who's willing to pay them. Perhaps they have exclusivity with Intamin for new installations, but for retrofits it's likely they'll work with any potential client in good standing. Also - and I know this is still an unsubstantiated rumor - but what if Cedar Fair has a larger contract than just Monty and they're also getting Indrivetec to work with Intamin on a new launch system for Top Thrill Dragster? All of a sudden Indrivetec would make a lot more sense if it's part of a multi-coaster package deal that includes an Intamin.
Unless Indrivetec have a whole new system that doubles the acceleration, I really doubt they'll be able to retrofit dragster with LSMs. Unless there is a multi-year refurbishment with LSMs that extend past the launch straight and up the tower, it wouldn't be financially viable.

Last edited:

Indy

Hyper Poster
So as the track was donated this isn't a refurb but a new coaster. At least a new credit :rolleyes:
I'm going to reserve judgment until more is known. A few pieces of track being donated (and therefore replaced) doesn't mean the entire structure is being torn down.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Frankly I’m disappointed, 3 pages in and nobody has asked the most important question yet…

…Will it be a new cred?