What's new

Lewk/Luck - Bewk/Buck - Cewk/erm... Cuck?

Ewk, or Uck.

• Ewk

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Uck

• Whatever

• Total voters

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
How do you pronounce the 'oo' sound in words like cook, book and look?

Is it like ewk, or uck?

I always remember a Phil Cool sketch, about people saying they're going to go to bed with a good book (pronounced buck), and him imagining them lying there snuggling up to a male rabbit.

In my native Liverpudlianesque parlance, it should be ewk, as scouse (and Stoke) is pronounced that way.

However, I've spent far too long in the company of Southerners now, so it's Uck for me. :)

Edited for the pleasure of Mr Hoyer :p

"Boo-k" sounds horrible to me.

I was born and bread in the south therefore I speak properly and pronounce it "uck".

I prononce it 'Buck', although some of the strong Dublin accents say 'Boo-k'. Which is closely related to the Liverpool accent I think.

Book. We learn very generic English at school, so your marks will suffer if you say buck instead of book.

I certainly don't say buck instead of book, or luck instead of look.

I think you're trying to get a point across that doesn't come across very well in typing.

Do you mean "Lewk" when you're saying "Look"? Because I read "Look" as... well, "Look", but definitely not "Luck", because that's "Luck" which is an entirely different word.

This poll is rubbish, Phil. Is it Friday already?

It is as it is spelled, B-ook.

Anyways, a buck and a book are not the same here in the States!

^ what?!

A buck and book are not the same here, its just the way Phil is writing it to try and get the pronunciation accross. Rubbishly.

Haha, I know, a bit of sarcasm I trying to convey maybe? :roll:

But yes, good American pronunciation, B-oo-k.

Pierre said:
^ what?!

A buck and book are not the same here, its just the way Phil is writing it to try and get the pronunciation accross. Rubbishly.

At least I can spell across :p

I thought if I put in Lewk, I'd confuse all the thick Northerners and people from the arse edge of nowhere on the East of the country.

Still, I'm not doing bad considering I can't pronounce air :p

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=5_MeMFeo_-U[/youtube]

Pfft, you already know the few I disagree on, so sorry Ian, might be pissing you off when we're camping on the grass at Oakwood :lol: especially after a few glasses of tipple, they don't have baths in that campsite do they, but they have showers so its ok.

I say things like how Ian was pronouncing things in his video.

I'm not understanding this "uck" thing though.
Is that "uck" as in "luck"? :?