What's new

Kick! - DOWNLOAD NOW - B&M Invert RLRides

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Just when I thought I was gonna take a hiatus and I was loosing my desire to work on NL rides. I sat down at the request of a friend who operates Raptor to design a ride in a similar style. I took the challenge and have slowly been chipping away at what makes the early inverts so good. This is some of the most detailed trackwork I've done, forcing in some straight track and really giving each element the space and punch that constrasts with B&Ms later more flowy design. I didn't think I'd actually turn this into a project but once again I slowly fell in love with what I was making. All of a sudden I'm close to a final layout.

It may look like Raptor with almost identical elements, but I've injected alot of nuance into it that I feel like it has its own unique personality. I feel this would stand well against the likes of Katun and Pyrenees too.

Anyway, screens

220425-4.jpg

220424-13.jpg

220425-2.jpg

220425-5.jpg

220425-6.jpg

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Small update. New colours, I'm gonna save the black and gold for another time as I think it works. But I wanted this coaster to have a fresh and vibrant scheme that I can really play around with colour on. I can tell this is probably gonna be the final scheme or atleast close as it fits with what I want to do with it.

Also, half done on the support structure, theres some detailing to do but I'm just getting in the broad strokes for now.

220509-19.jpg

220509-17.jpg

Also on a side not (not confirming if this is its final resting place) but Pride Park (the home of Chimera) are currently looking to add a new signature coaster, and this old school relocated invert slots perfectly in the space they want to fill... so lets see. It may open just in time for pride month...

220509-11.jpg

220509-13.jpg

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Ahhh in a typical RLRides U-turn, I found myself falling out of love with the project, but I love the layout, soo I took some steps back and reevaluated what I wanted this coaster to be. It was always meant to be something fun, playful and punchy. I decided shoehorning it into an old park look away the sightlines and pressence the ride had, it needed its only little world to sit in!

So i spent a few weeks (lol) playing with colour and finding inspiration and with a little help, we have a new colour scheme. I've called the coaster Kick! It just makes me laugh alot, plus it references the free legs of the riders but also the sharp punchy pacing and colour scheme. Anyway, so happy to be creating again and now I have a new computer that runs NL like a dream expect more soon.

220624-5.jpg

Dan?

Roller Poster
Wow Bob, that looks fantastic! I feel like with the ride being so vibrant, however, that the surroundings could be a little more abstract - maybe include some geometric footchoppers or something to really drive home the title?

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Some updates! Just bear in mind that we're working on two different files of the same park at the same time! So the pictures of stuff I'm working on doesn't have the stuff Thom has completed, so there are patches all over the place in these pictures, but don't worry they will come together). Coming close to get this out there now, really happy with how it's coming about, and its been kinda fun to dress a ride in the lowest possible budget, while still being aesthetic.

the station for kick and queue is complete (with fully working animated front gate )
220925-1.jpg

Float has also had some attention with the logo painted across the op box.
220926-1.jpg

Also Kick!'s entrance is almost done.
Kick-Entrance.png

Drops Entrance sign is up too (ignore the restriction signs, They are being worked on)
Drop-Entrance.png

And finally just an overshot (some things missing here but you get the idea)
220922-2.jpg

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Kick-Poster-v2.jpg

Background -
Festival Gardens sits on the edge of Lake Julian as an escape for people from the local city with a large number of outdoor activities. In 2022 they have decided to expand with a number of permanent attractions and have purchased three second hand rides, Float - a paratrooper ride, Drop - an Intamin drop tower, and Kick! - a 90s B&M invert.

Design -
This project started after being asked to produce an old-school B&M invert in the same style as Raptor at Cedar Point, I tried a few various ideas but ended up really loving this semi-clone layout and it was really fun to capture that power the original inverts have. After a few months trying to perfect the track work, I brought onboard Thomas Codling Design. Thom’s passion for the tiniest details in realism really brought this coaster to life.

The aesthetic of Kick! is very much based the potential I saw in Monster at Walygator Park in France, how can you make a fun and vibrant ride identity on a low budget.

Elements -
Vertical Loop
Zero-G Roll
Cobra Roll
Upward Helix
Upward Swoop
MCBR
Wingover
Foating S-Hill
Wingover
Downward Helix

Special Thanks To -
Pupper_ware - The reason this project even happened!
TheCodeMaster - Gate Script, Roar Kit Red-Thirteen - Op Panel Kit
Robbinbob - NL2 Texture Kit, Paratrooper,
Light Kit M34 - Intamin Drop Tower
Bestdani - Instant Animations, Ultimate Attachment Tools
Jpaufsc - B&M Loop Connectors
SecretImbecile - CCTV Kit, Doors Kit
Wolf Raging 95 - B&M Lift Motor
SpigotYML - Emergency Exit Signs
ELEMENT115 - AS Asset Pack

And the rest of the NL2 Community for feedback!

Last edited:

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Another video by Thomas focusing on some of the details he worked on!

And just an overview screen. Time to put this project to bed and maybe abit of a hiatus (I think I say this everytime)

Kick-Screen4.jpg

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Used this site to try as abit of a portfolio for some design jobs, but alas unsuccessful so been feeling abit salty, but it did push me to get some more stuff up there. Still proud of my little coasters.