What's new

Duel at Alton Towers closing on 6th September - retheme or refurbishment for 2023?

Bowser

Mega Poster
Does anyone know what's going on with this ride? We are visiting next weekend and i've been checking the queue times on the app the last 3 or 4 weeks with The Curse being listed as closed 90% of the time...

Changa

Mega Poster
We went Thursday last week and it only broke down once all day for about 15 minutes. So, hopefully it's all ok?

Bowser

Mega Poster
We went Thursday last week and it only broke down once all day for about 15 minutes. So, hopefully it's all ok?

Further investigation seems to indicate a lot of the rides are closed for the first few hours of the day but open from around lunchtime.

Perhaps a cost cutting exercise? Gangster Granny, Thirteen and a few others follow this trend, as they often have Dark Ride elements i imagine they're the most expensive to run?

VonRolland

Hyper Poster
Further investigation seems to indicate a lot of the rides are closed for the first few hours of the day but open from around lunchtime.

Perhaps a cost cutting exercise? Gangster Granny, Thirteen and a few others follow this trend, as they often have Dark Ride elements i imagine they're the most expensive to run?
Yeah no that's not correct

Bowser

Mega Poster
Yeah no that's not correct

Which bit? I checked again today and it was the same pattern (assuming the app is correct).

Could be a coincidence of course or a planned gradual opening of rides for another reason. I did read Valhalla at Blackpool had limited opening hours due to the running costs so doesn't seem too far fetched Merlin would be doing the same, especially off peak.

Trooper Looper

Roller Poster
Did it quite a few times yesterday. Was walk on the entire day. Still not a huge fan of it, but some of the minor new additions like air cannons and the fake bolt of lightning in the garden are nice though. Even noticed a picture in the mirror corridor with the original swamp monster in it. Saw a number of young kids (7-9 year olds I'm guessing) coming off crying, having fits, and heard many families miss Duel (Yikes)

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Managed to ride this yesterday. Also was walk on most of the day surrounding the frequent short breakdowns.

While I miss Duel, I agree it needed the refurb. I like this version and love that they got the Trommel working properly again . However, there is a lot of dead spots with no theming. Most noticeable being immediately after the trommel and the dark section soon after where you're supposed to be following Emily's voice. they've also noticeably sped the cars up so it passes through a lot of the scenes too quickly to really take it all in and/or for any storyline to be taken in, IMO would be much better if they kept it to Duel's speed. Much like duel, I'll ride if passing but wouldn't make any special trip for it.